My turn to do a "gassing" thread (lol sorry) (3 Viewers)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Getting robbed on an Aire De Services is not fiction.

I was robbed on an Aire De services near Millau on the A75 a few years ago, I hadn't heard of gassing at the time, so couldn't use it as an excuse.

What I can tell you is that it isn't funny.

:cooler:
It doesn't matter where it happens, it isn't nice full stop. We had window catches broken in Pisa last month ... fortuntely the dogs woke up and all hell must have broken loose so they never got any further than getting the window open, but it does make you wary.

We've also had the side of a previous MH 'bricked' in Holland - nearly £2,500 of damage - we couldn't secure it properly and as it was in the mdidle of our fortnight's holiday obviously it put a dampener on things.

It isn't funny at all - I do wish that those making the reports didn't "gild the lily" ... if they just told it exactly as it happened it would be much more useful and wouldn't have the p*ss taken out of it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@MinxyGirl firstly let me say I hate you, I am now covered in cobwebs, but on the plus side I found a bunch of cool stuff in the loft that I had forgotten about. However, here is the press clipping from the walton and weybridge informer, dated Feb 19, 1999, I was working the door that night! :D
View attachment 78509
Fishnets, a miniskirt and stilletos no doubt???? :X3:

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
sadly mh robbery is a fact , where you park isn't always to blame ,because people how rob see motor homes as easy targets ,if you are on a camp-site or off road parking,or anywhere in between,motor homes are seen as an easy job with plenty of stash , and the brit reg are top of there list.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Not going to go into details as to why but I have been hit with police CS spray (similar to MACE). If you get hit by mace spray you are certainly not going to sleep through it, your eyes will stream and sting, your nose will run. Basically it feels like you've been hit in the face with a hot iron!
Best description I have ever heard, it turns you into a blubbering, bubbling snot monster! I also call fake! :D
Having read all the thread now. I suppose it's fair to say, that in your case you could put in a claim for "macetaken identity":groan::imoutahere:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
sadly mh robbery is a fact , where you park isn't always to blame ,because people how rob see motor homes as easy targets ,if you are on a camp-site or off road parking,or anywhere in between,motor homes are seen as an easy job with plenty of stash , and the brit reg are top of there list.
Strikeback alarm.............. anyone forcing my doors open will be deafened no matter how pi$$ed I am. I never carry my Rolex with me anyway.

Other brands are available

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It isn't funny at all - I do wish that those making the reports didn't "gild the lily" ... if they just told it exactly as it happened it would be much more useful and wouldn't have the p*ss taken out of it.
Robbery certainly happens and certainly isn't funny. However, at least some of the gilding is the fault of the local police, presumably as it gives them an excuse for not investigating crimes.

A friend of ours, with his family, was robbed at a French motorway services last year. It was his first time in France in a motorhome and he had never heard gassing stories previously. It was the police who made the suggestion to him and he was convinced until I explained the bigger picture, including the RCOA position.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Strikeback alarm.............. anyone forcing my doors open will be deafened no matter how pi$$ed I am. I never carry my Rolex with me anyway.

Other brands are available

I leave my two quid Casio hung on the door mirror and a tin so the gassers will feel sorry for me and leave a couple of euro in the tin ..... No joy so far though .............

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Drowsy wife - check
Police confirm other victims same night - check
IT tablet - check
Handbag - check
Husband snoring - check
Lorries - check

Mace - MACE!!!!!!

I think mace makes your blooming eyes sting a bit, no stingy eyes?

I call fake :cooler:

Im making no comment at all

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
... in that case ... as the copper would say "let's be having it then" ... we wanna see it!

and "your nicked chumy" " lets be havun you livly"

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not going to go into details as to why but I have been hit with police CS spray (similar to MACE). If you get hit by mace spray you are certainly not going to sleep through it, your eyes will stream and sting, your nose will run. Basically it feels like you've been hit in the face with a hot iron!
Best description I have ever heard, it turns you into a blubbering, bubbling snot monster! I also call fake! :D

Fully agree,,a face full of mace would wake you up and your eyes would sting for hours,,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I leave my two quid Casio hung on the door mirror and a tin so the gassers will feel sorry for me and leave a couple of euro in the tin ..... No joy so far though .............

My Cassio just cost me £14 .99,,was i robbed. BUSBY.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Strikeback alarm.............. anyone forcing my doors open will be deafened

Two edged sword, so will you. The effect on some of the more frail FUNsters is never mentioned. They are suddenly woken up by a great noise and may see an intruder. The shock could be quite devastating.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
This thread has gone from whose had the gassiest gassing to whose got the cheapest watch or the flashiest van..

I just love how we stay on topic :D:D:D
I can think of a few forums where this thread would have been pulled and people given a big wrist slap for going off topic. Here, going off topic and routinely rubbishing Burstners is compulsory. Long may it remain so.......

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Two edged sword, so will you. The effect on some of the more frail FUNsters is never mentioned. They are suddenly woken up by a great noise and may see an intruder. The shock could be quite devastating.
Yes, Brian - I can imagine that when your alarm goes off and you get up to investigate the poor intruder would probably die of shock when he sees you in your favourite onesie - you know, the grey one with the hood and the bunny ears.......;)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Even if it's true the couple show a shocking lack of stiff upper lip. Fancy returning home after such a minor mishap? Hrrmph. Country going to the dogs. :)

I totally agree
Not as if their reversing camera had failed was it:rolleyes:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I saw that post on Motorhome Adventures. Sadly, lots of people were suckered in by it :eek:

MACE is a company and brand name. Their original product, MACE, is just pepper spray.
You won't be sleeping for some time if sprayed with that stuff !!

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
We have spent a few nights in motorway services, and rest areas, both here and abroad. Also little stop overs associated with isolated Spanish petrol stations? Never had a speck of trouble. :)
I used to feel that way till it happened to me!
I thought I had taken all the right precautions but it didn't stop someone breaking in whilst I was asleep and pinching my wallet and cards.

After that I never used Aire de Services again for an overnight and always managed to find an Aire de Campingcar. It just meant looking for an overnight spot a bit earlier in the day.

:cooler:

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
'Allo, it is I, René Francois Artois!

I would like to state categorically that I 'ave no knowledge of the newer incident near Girona - it is much too far to travel in Gruber's Tank and I really have no need for an 'andbag, a tatty pair of shorts and well worn trainers.

We have 'eard on the grapevine from the Resistance that there is a bunch of men from the South of your country on a Stag Weekend in that area and it's possible that they could be involved.

Since the bunch of tight wads from Derby visited my Café, you may recall my earlier post relating to there Insurance Scam Claim, I 'ave instructed Lieutenant Grubber to 'ave a Controle Technique on his little tank to make it less likely to 'gas' anyone who goes near it.

Apparently their has been talk of other types of gas being used but I 'ave 'ad a chat with our village dentist Monsieur Grichage.

After a long and drink laden lunch discussing the chance of other gasses being used he has said categorically that it is not possible – and Monsieur Grichage is so knowledgeable about dentistry he is employed by both Ken Dodd and Louis Suarez!

Sorry but I have to go, I 'ave had a call from upstairs from Edith's mother and I'm off to get as many double-entendre as possible from the word Fanny before Yvette comes to my bedroom and gives me my nightly sustenance in a cup,

Love once again from René and Edith and we hope to see you at Renés Café in the very near future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back