Motorhoming & insects !! (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
carado
Hello everyone, odd topic to start with, but I really dislike insects & last night whilst on a French NW campsite I had 3 of these crawl, in procession across my chest in bed & in the dark whilst I was going to sleep. I put the light on & saw as below! I ikind of instinctively knew something hairy & exotic looking like this was probably not good news, so got some thick tissue & dealt with them, just as well https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_processionary keep an eye out šŸ§

In 2023 I obtained a German Cockroach infestation in Italy. They made for the toothbrushes because I read they needed water as soon as hatched (know your enemy!) so I removed all liquids. I fumigated the van a few times with Spanish bug killer & set sticky traps & cockroach posion traps, still took a few days to get rid of them!
I took all the above with me this time but to no avail for caterpillars :(

My question, What are the worst insects you have had in your van & how did you deal with them?.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I came back to the van in Italy and found our orange EHU cable was black... It was a solid procession of ants. They were marching in the fridge vent. Dumped all the open food, got rid of rubbish and wiped everything down. Stayed up all night squishing then. Spent about ā‚¬50 on sprays and traps the next day. We drove about 2000 miles over the next 6 weeks and got as far as northern Germany before we stopped seeing them.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
We sat watching a massive trail of ants on our van whilst sat outside marvelling at them. Then we went inside jesus they were everywhere. But they were just passing through didnt touch any food. Bought a spray and moved the van to one side and they slowly disappeared over some days. I think the site should of warned us we could of put powder around the van like the tents had.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Procession Caterpillars are often in Portugal and West of Spain. I've seen them reported and warned about many times as dog walkers and the pets are prone to very itchy hair contact.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Procession Caterpillars are often in Portugal and West of Spain. I've seen them reported and warned about many times as dog walkers and the pets are prone to very itchy hair contact.
Some of the trees near the site we are on in Brittany have the traps fitted round the trunks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back