Motorhomes 8m or more....benefits vs limitations (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Hi all,
I have been wanting to buy my first MH since retiring last year, but haven't made much progress of course due to lockdown. My online searches, mostly on Mobile.de and previous exp. with caravans/mobilehomes leads me to think that 8m is probably the size I would go for... (Concord/Morelo/N&B). That also means height of over 3m.
I have the necessary C1 license, but I would love to hear from experienced owners about the practical issues of touring with such a van. I will be solo and touring mostly in Europe, though I hope to make a long tour of UK when the lockdown is over. As I will be solo, wild camping will not be for me at least initially as I think I would not feel secure enough.
Thanks for any thoughts

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

We had a 8.5 metre N+B Flair for close on 8 years, when we decided to change we said that we would go slightly smaller (actually Mrs funflair said that) well we looked and looked for a good few years and we did get close to ordering a MORELO Loft 79F but it would have been 8.3 metres and there were compromises in the garage and the bathroom, eventually we decided that the under 8.5m rule was artificial as we not really had issues using the Flair, the sub 8.5m search was creating more issues than in solved so we ordered the smallest Palace that they build at 8.69 metres (y) Luxury:giggle:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've owned motorhomes at just over 6m and just under 11m.

On site the 11m are luxury. Getting it on the site can be a PITA

On site 6m is a bit cramped for us lot, but getting on site is easy. For me, the best of both worlds is between 7 and 8, maybe 8.5 at a push.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I chose frankia 7900 over 8400 due to the bathroom layout mainly. Have not regretted. Wouldn’t want it smaller when living or bigger when driving. Just sub 8m. Has advantages -cheaper on some ferries and some sites restrict to <8. Apart from when you park on site the main worry is width rather than length. ( Loch Lomond loch side road, I’m thinking of you)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would say that size is dependant on what sort of motorhome owner you are. The big ones are great if you want to put a destination into your satnav and drive there via main roads. PVC (Panel Van Conversion) is ideal if you want to explore the small roads, possible dead ends, secret little parking places. Then you get the degrees in between the two. We are at 7.2m long, and 2.8m high, and I wouldn’t want to be any bigger as I like to explore. Big Moho owners tell you they can get anywhere, but they can’t, I’ve been stuck/blocked, or in very tight situations in mine, wishing I had a PVC. But being 6’3 tall and two of us and dog a pvc is too cramped for the living part, especially in winter.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Mines 9mtr and we have travelled all over the U.K. and winter away in France, Spain,
Portugal.You plan your journey a bit more and yes some sites are a bit tight. I use google street view to check out access etc, a good sat nav that you can put your dimensions in. It’s nice having the space. We also A framed a car behind for a couple of years making us 13 mtrs long while travelling. Good luck with your search. (y)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I chose frankia 7900 over 8400 due to the bathroom layout mainly. Have not regretted. Wouldn’t want it smaller when living or bigger when driving. Just sub 8m. Has advantages -cheaper on some ferries and some sites restrict to <8. Apart from when you park on site the main worry is width rather than length. ( Loch Lomond loch side road, I’m thinking of you)
I have the same van as you and hate that bit of road.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We kicked off with a 9.2 metre burstner but height wise under 3 metres, we opted for an 8.5 meter van next but taller at just over 3 metres. We have a much improved payload with this van and didn’t feel we lost out on space, we did find ourselves getting stung more on the tolls in the higher van though. you can always meander on non toll roads if you wish. Never suffered too much getting on to sites. Plenty enough to go at.

Have you given thought to left or right hand drive for europe, ours is right hand and not a problem with me as co-pilot.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
if you're really only going to be "1 person" then i think about:

- do you really need such a large van as +8m
- the longer the van then the more likely you'd need some assistance manoeuvring....

Of course a good 360 vision camera system can help with the 2nd point but overall a 2nd pair of eyes is very useful when the van is longer, we're only 7.5m but have a trailer and things do get tight very easily.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Our current MH is a bit less than 7.5m, though we usually have a bike rack on the back so that takes us up to just over 8m overall. We've only been able to use it for about 3 weeks in total so far, but we haven't had any problems yet. Our previous MH including the bike rack was about 7.25m and that wasn't any easier or more difficult than the current one - so the extra 75cm length has had no impact so far on where we can go. Roads have hardly ever been a problem (though we tend to steer clear of the smaller ones if possible), but we have occasionally come across campsites or stops which have been pretty tight for manoeuvring, even with the slightly smaller MH. We tend to stay on a mix of campsites, aires and France Passions, and where possible I tend to scope out the roads and access on Google maps if I can to double check, but you can't always spot that the pitches are tight.

In terms of useable inside space though that extra 75cm makes a huge difference to us, though some of that is also due to a slight change in layout. I think what I'm trying to say is that its not just about the overall size of the vehicle, but also about the layout.....I remember looking at a 6m Pilote a-class which due to the layout had a huge amount of space inside.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Yes, I drove on that road during my North 500 run 2 years ago. Scary for an A road & thankfully it was quiet. And my unit is only 6M.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
We have 8m van and have only had difficulty in a couple of French Aires although to be fair I knew it would be tight before I arrived and I had bikes on the back.

IMHO once you are above PVC size then it’s pretty irrelevant if you are 7m or 10m. Limitations usually around the access to site rather than pitch size. At this point a 7 or 10m van is too wide or long for a super market car park. The height is similar so you have to avoid the same overhanging trees. The width is the same so you have to watch for the same hedgerows. For my van it’s the width that is usually the limiting factor at 8’2 rather than length. If I were 6” narrower I don’t think that I would notice the difference regards living but I would not be so much of a rolling roadblock in the Lake District.

Pub stops would sometimes be easier if our van was shorter but only if we arrive late to a full car park.
We wild camp in ours. It’s generally not so much the access but the inability for an 8m long white box to blend in that’s the problem here.

For the size that you are looking at the toll roads become more expensive but they can be avoided if you want.
What’s important is to choose the layout that works for you counterbalanced by your preferred type of bolt hole and/or pastime.
We are currently thinking about upgrading. Have looked at 8m+ that appear all bedroom when we want the lounging space. Conversely we have looked at 7m vans with huge lounge but limited storage or kitchen worktop space and I am a messy chef. There is a layout for everyone. Half of the fun is looking. Good luck 👍

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
There are some things to consider beyond the accommodation aspects too. Depending on the ferry company you may be paying a premium for a unit beyond 7/8m. Also some French fuel stations (especially some older Intermarche) have height restrictions AND very narrow exit points, often on a tight curve past the kiosk. Many French villages have weight restrictions starting at 3.5kgs so much depends on where you would be spending most of your time.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
First was an A class 6.5m which was really fine, now 7.5 and there is a significant difference, for us anyhow. Payload is key as is the watershed of 3.5 tons. The width is often more critical 2.3m wide is, again for us, provides better internal circulation space even against something 10cm narrower. However we are both 23 stone so....

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
We kicked off with a 9.2 metre burstner but height wise under 3 metres, we opted for an 8.5 meter van next but taller at just over 3 metres. We have a much improved payload with this van and didn’t feel we lost out on space, we did find ourselves getting stung more on the tolls in the higher van though. you can always meander on non toll roads if you wish. Never suffered too much getting on to sites. Plenty enough to go at.

Have you given thought to left or right hand drive for europe, ours is right hand and not a problem with me as co-pilot.
Thanks for that. Yes, I am decided on going LHD for Europe as I reckon I can manage UK/ROI easier with steering wheel "on the wrong side". Without co-pilot, I plan on all the help I can get from mirrors & additional cams..

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
if you're really only going to be "1 person" then i think about:

- do you really need such a large van as +8m
- the longer the van then the more likely you'd need some assistance manoeuvring....

Of course a good 360 vision camera system can help with the 2nd point but overall a 2nd pair of eyes is very useful when the van is longer, we're only 7.5m but have a trailer and things do get tight very easily.
Yep, 360 is on the list

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have a 6.4 metre PVC so can go anywhere but one thing even we have noticed on some of the campsites that have been around for a very long time they still seem more set up for the car plus caravan layout so can be short. You can also have that odd tree off centre on the pitch which presumably was for a nice bit of shade but causes a few problems for big rigs. It’s just that you said you’d be solo so won’t have anyone keeping an eye on rear plus roof.

I do look with envy at the big vans and all that space and comfort occasionally until I’m manoeuvring ours and then think phew.

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Thanks for all those replies and it is good to hear all your experiences.
I am reasured that there isn't any 'obvious mistake' that I haven't yet considered! All in all it looks like 8M thereabout is the way it will likely be. Internal head height is a factor for me & the extra space (& width) are priorities that I don't want to compromise on. I would much prefer to have the extra length that allows for all my 'stuff' (bike/scooter) inside rather that racked behind. I guess increased ferry or road tolls are part of the compromise for length/height. I envisage very early morning driving, which I enjoy anyway, as one of the ways of managing the pita of a bigger rig in traffic....

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Thanks for that. Yes, I am decided on going LHD for Europe as I reckon I can manage UK/ROI easier with steering wheel "on the wrong side". Without co-pilot, I plan on all the help I can get from mirrors & additional cams..
You might relook at that decision, we spend most of our touring in Europe and drive a RHD as it's not an issue, but driving in the UK would be with the LHD due to the traffic density.

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I've owned motorhomes at just over 6m and just under 11m.

On site the 11m are luxury. Getting it on the site can be a PITA

On site 6m is a bit cramped for us lot, but getting on site is easy. For me, the best of both worlds is between 7 and 8, maybe 8.5 at a push.
...the warm feeling of : "yes, that's what I was thinking...."!!;)

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I like the Frankia Platin too but few seem to come up with double bed.... I am looking at registered post 2015

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
We used to have an 8.5 metre Frankia and travelled all over France, Spain and Germany and never had a problem.
Fantastic bathroom huge bed over large garage and large lounge.
..that is great to hear, & ticks a number of my wish-list boxes

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none

Yes, I have stood in a similar Burstner and I felt the need for additional height

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I like the Frankia Platin too but few seem to come up with double bed.... I am looking at registered post 2015
I was going to suggest a Frankia as the tailgate is a real boon if you are carrying bike/bikes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back