Motorhomes 8m or more....benefits vs limitations (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Our current MH is a bit less than 7.5m, though we usually have a bike rack on the back so that takes us up to just over 8m overall. We've only been able to use it for about 3 weeks in total so far, but we haven't had any problems yet. Our previous MH including the bike rack was about 7.25m and that wasn't any easier or more difficult than the current one - so the extra 75cm length has had no impact so far on where we can go. Roads have hardly ever been a problem (though we tend to steer clear of the smaller ones if possible), but we have occasionally come across campsites or stops which have been pretty tight for manoeuvring, even with the slightly smaller MH. We tend to stay on a mix of campsites, aires and France Passions, and where possible I tend to scope out the roads and access on Google maps if I can to double check, but you can't always spot that the pitches are tight.

In terms of useable inside space though that extra 75cm makes a huge difference to us, though some of that is also due to a slight change in layout. I think what I'm trying to say is that its not just about the overall size of the vehicle, but also about the layout.....I remember looking at a 6m Pilote a-class which due to the layout had a huge amount of space inside.
I take your point about the importance of layout completely

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Here’s a pic why.
D0FA5930-DD60-48A8-A307-6A271BEC5C77.jpeg
371469CF-7459-4959-950E-C51A6F8CBAB9.jpeg

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You might relook at that decision, we spend most of our touring in Europe and drive a RHD as it's not an issue, but driving in the UK would be with the LHD due to the traffic density.
I don't find LHD a problem in the UK I think I prefer it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We had that size when we were 2 adults 3 children and the large dog, if you are a lone traveler why put yourself through all the negatives that are associated with owning such a large van.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Try before you buy.

We rented 4 motorhomes before we bought.

1st was an American RV.
Superb inside, we had our own bedroom, it was fine in the USA but would have been a nightmare in Europe and impossible in Cornwall or Eire

2nd was a massive 4WD Mercedes truck
Wonderfull on the rip roads of southern Chile and fantastic on the dirt roads of Bolivia, and big enough to dominate the traffic in Peru. But too big for Europe and it drank like a fish

3rd was a 7.5m EuroMobil
We rented in Germany. Loved the van, but it also highlighted what we thought was the perfect layout was not the perfect layout.

4th was a 6.7m Hymer
We had studied the layouts, and we found this van fitted all our specs, hence we rented it for a very wet week in Wales, it performed superbly inside and out, and we were still talking to each other at the end of the week.
So we bought one.

The only thing I'd change is I wish we had gone for the 4x4/manual gearbox version, not that we have needed the option yet !

I would strongly recommend you rent a couple before you start looking.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I can't really believe a PVC isn't big enough for solo touring. Unless you must have a toy hauler, in which case a race van which is designed to carry motorbikes or an ATV under the fixed bed is a solution.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
4th was a 6.7m Hymer
We had studied the layouts, and we found this van fitted all our specs, hence we rented it for a very wet week in Wales, it performed superbly inside and out, and we were still talking to each other at the end of the week.
So we bought one.

The only thing I'd change is I wish we had gone for the 4x4/manual gearbox version, not that we have needed the option yet !

I would strongly recommend you rent a couple before you start looking.

PMSL at that comment.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We hired in New Zealand, Australia, US and Canada. Both agreed MUST haves for our own Motorhome were - wrap around seating area at the rear, twin wheel axels (or whatever it’s called). Big capacity engine, black tank not cassette.
Haven’t had any and not regretted it. Go with what feels right and change it for the next one if need be.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We hired twice before buying, tried to hire what we were likely to buy. Didn't quite work as the second time they had sold the van we wanted to hire and upgraded us to a bigger A Class. We learnt what we could and couldn't live with. Hired Hymers in Germany ½ the price of hiring in the UK.

First van we had for nearly 6 years, last one less than 3 but only because we got a deal we couldn't refuse, current van is the same layout as the last one.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
2 people ,travelling Europe, we had a 8.6m x 3.3 high (5 t) tag axle moho , we loved it , slightly long at Times but no real problems only changed due to gearbox problems, now have 7.5m x 2.85 high (4.5t) , it’s a slight compromise but still good , both took a scooter in garage , the big difference is no the length but the wheelbase which makes manoeuvring much easier , if I was travelling solo I’d go 7.5m (best compromise)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
2 people ,travelling Europe, we had a 8.6m x 3.3 high (5 t) tag axle moho , we loved it , slightly long at Times but no real problems only changed due to gearbox problems, now have 7.5m x 2.85 high (4.5t) , it’s a slight compromise but still good , both took a scooter in garage , the big difference is no the length but the wheelbase which makes manoeuvring much easier , if I was travelling solo I’d go 7.5m (best compromise)
We went from 7.2 to 7.5m but wheelbase went from 3.8 to 4.4m. I find the longer wheelbase easier to manoeuvre I think is because it has a shorter overhang.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
We went from 7.2 to 7.5m but wheelbase went from 3.8 to 4.4m. I find the longer wheelbase easier to manoeuvre I think is because it has a shorter overhang.
I find , Longer wheelbase is easier to reverse, shorter wheelbase is easier to manoeuvre in tight places

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Try before you buy.

We rented before we bought.
Exactly the same, except didn’t need to rent 4 times.

8m and 2.9m high works great for me, 2.5m wide isn’t an issue either, my only observation (without trying to sound superior in any way) is coming from driving trucks and vans for years I guess personal experience varies, but it’s just a matter of getting used to the vehicle.

Personally I like to wild camp, and enjoy very rural spaces so you should consider your own preferences, I‘ve not found any site where 8m is any sort of an issue.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
We’ve had four at 7.3 to 7.5 metres, and now 8.1 metre tag axle. The extra length over and above 7.5 metres hasn’t caused me any problems at all. Doesn’t turn quite as tightly as the single rear axle vans but not really a problem, you just adapt a little bit. The extra inside space is very noticeable and the tag axle stability is a real bonus.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I have an 8.6m (9m incl bikes) Euramobil and never really had an issue.
Some UK sites (mostly camping & caravan club sites) I can’t reserve online but can over the phone but Europe wise and using aires, there’s never been a problem.
We love the space as it has a big u shape at the rear so gives us flexibility when the front is being used for bedtime routine for our child

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
LHD or RHD is the really big question for a solo pilot. We had a LHD Winnebago before downsizing. My comment would be if you are doing mostly Continental touring, having a RHD and no co-pilot would be worse than having a LHD. When driving a LHD in UK there can be a visibility problem at junctions without a passenger, so a window just behind the passenger seat is a big bonus. LHD on Devon lanes and the like is also pretty good as you can keep right into the edges more easily. If you are going that route make sure it has electric retractable mirrors as unbuckling and getting across the cab is a pain.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have an 8.6m (9m incl bikes) Euramobil and never really had an issue.
Some UK sites (mostly camping & caravan club sites) I can’t reserve online but can over the phone but Europe wise and using aires, there’s never been a problem.
We love the space as it has a big u shape at the rear so gives us flexibility when the front is being used for bedtime routine for our child
Exactly my experience except the child bit :rolleyes: . This is my first real time booking up some UK stuff we always go to Europe and CCC appears live in a hobbit world. I gave up with them. Got some other great places instead.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
As others have said ,if you have never driven a vehicle of that size, rent one first
It may be the most suitable van in the world for you but if you do not feel confident driving it then the experience will go downhill quickly

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ive had 3 at 7 metres and 2 at 8.5 metres .....i can honestly say i did get most places i wanted to go with the 8.5 metres at the time with a few exceptions...i did find on the particular ones i had ...burstner argos 747 and frankia i840 that they were particularly low at the back and combined with a long overhang and tag axle i did find i grounded the rear quite a bit in some places.

I guess it depends where you want to go ...small Spanish and Portuguese villages i found nerve-wracking with the 8.5 metre.
I now have a 7 metre hymer and ive found that can go pretty much anywhere and some of the villages here in greece you simply would not get an 8 metre through them. The other thing then to consider is if yourr only going to use sites are you going to carry a motorbike or tow a car on a trailer? Because if not then a lot of the most beautiful places are going to be inaccessible when over 7 metres

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
LHD or RHD is the really big question for a solo pilot. We had a LHD Winnebago before downsizing. My comment would be if you are doing mostly Continental touring, having a RHD and no co-pilot would be worse than having a LHD. When driving a LHD in UK there can be a visibility problem at junctions without a passenger, so a window just behind the passenger seat is a big bonus. LHD on Devon lanes and the like is also pretty good as you can keep right into the edges more easily. If you are going that route make sure it has electric retractable mirrors as unbuckling and getting across the cab is a pain.
I fitted a Fresnel screen on the passenger window solves the visability problem, some people fit cameras.
A Class vans don't have folding mirrors but if you are that close to the mirrors you have got a problem.

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
We virtually Fulltime in our Frankia 840 tag... in it right now.... and we travel to Spain/Portugal twice a year Spring and Autumn... have not seen anything yet i would swap it for... layout which is No1 priority is perfect for us... plenty of space and storage...large garage... proper fullsize cooker... thing that puts me off the Morello's and Concordes is that we find them a bit OTT.... all too much chintz.... and certainly the height puts me off a little too..we have never had any problems at all on sites though we do tend to primarily use Aires and Camper stops... i agree with Northern Raider they do ride low and thats why we are having Air Assist suspension added to raise the rear end when required... oh and i also agree with his comment of carrying transport with you for when you arrive at a destination... hence why we carry E-bikes in our garage and tow a Motorcycle on a trailer as well..

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There are some things to consider beyond the accommodation aspects too. Depending on the ferry company you may be paying a premium for a unit beyond 7/8m. Also some French fuel stations (especially some older Intermarche) have height restrictions AND very narrow exit points, often on a tight curve past the kiosk. Many French villages have weight restrictions starting at 3.5kgs so much depends on where you would be spending most of your time.
Oh Yes ;) we had to refuel and then reverse out of a service station in France a few years ago, and I think it's the Auchan at Grande Synthe that gets very narrow as you go out, all character building though(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Oh Yes ;) we had to refuel and then reverse out of a service station in France a few years ago, and I think it's the Auchan at Grande Synthe that gets very narrow as you go out, all character building though(y)
Done that a few times in France and we are only 7.5m. Pay at the pump side often has a better exit.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Done that a few times in France and we are only 7.5m. Pay at the pump side often has a better exit.
8.6 & done it a few times also , but never a big problem even when other cars start to line up behind you , I hate it when the exit has tight turns & huge kerbs looking a bit like a go kart track

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A few ive used in greece one in nafplion with the cheapest fuel around you can't get the motorhome in ....you just put the nose in as close to the garage as possible and put hazard lights on ...the last 5 metres is out on the road 🤣😁😁 but at just over €1 a litre its worth it

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We had for 2.5 years an euramobil 9m length 2.99 tall tag fiat. We got cheaper tolls than our current morelo which is over 3m tall and it drove better than the morelo at 70mph on the motorway.
However the morelo been only 8.3m long means we can book most British sites without having to ring up and ask if they can take our length (8.5m seems to be a cut off for a lot of British sites).
Love that’s it’s left hand drive and absolutely love the larger fresh water, grey waste and black tank system for the toilet but I think the one thing that I like the best is the build quality.
my advice is to read honest reviews from funsters about the different makes and (even though I didn’t follow this advise myself as I liked the idea of a new one) is buy second hand as you may want to change it after a year, saying that we didn’t lose much from trading up to the morelo, which actually helped In our decision to buy new again.

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
I chose frankia 7900 over 8400 due to the bathroom layout mainly. Have not regretted. Wouldn’t want it smaller when living or bigger when driving. Just sub 8m. Has advantages -cheaper on some ferries and some sites restrict to <8. Apart from when you park on site the main worry is width rather than length. ( Loch Lomond loch side road, I’m thinking of you)

I have the same van as you and hate that bit of road.
Regardless of motorhome make, avoid that stretch of road at all costs! The logging trucks now have reinforced mirrors, and they take no prisoners. Rumour has it that they try to take your mirrors out! They neither slow, nor move over. It’s very pretty however, but should be avoided unless in a car, or possibly a PVC.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Regardless of motorhome make, avoid that stretch of road at all costs! The logging trucks now have reinforced mirrors, and they take no prisoners. Rumour has it that they try to take your mirrors out! They neither slow, nor move over. It’s very pretty however, but should be avoided unless in a car, or possibly a PVC.
Did that road once, once was enough.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Agree. I’ve seen their mirrors.
In future will take A84 via sterling which is fine.
I also use google earth street view for unfamiliar sites, but not possible for Austria or Germany.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back