Motorhomes 8m or more....benefits vs limitations (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I would say that size is dependant on what sort of motorhome owner you are. The big ones are great if you want to put a destination into your satnav and drive there via main roads. PVC (Panel Van Conversion) is ideal if you want to explore the small roads, possible dead ends, secret little parking places. Then you get the degrees in between the two. We are at 7.2m long, and 2.8m high, and I wouldn’t want to be any bigger as I like to explore. Big Moho owners tell you they can get anywhere, but they can’t, I’ve been stuck/blocked, or in very tight situations in mine, wishing I had a PVC. But being 6’3 tall and two of us and dog a pvc is too cramped for the living part, especially in winter.
As a user do you think the OP has any chance of Wild camping in a 8m ?

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
I have a 7.9m Autotrail Delaware. The same model is now just over 8m.
mine is 3.03m high.

I have often wondered why manufactures don’t build to fit into the dimensions for tariffs on ferries, motorways etc...

On one hand I can understand that, when people are paying so much for a motorhome, the higher charges are not that important (for me £200 each time I travel through France to Spain if I use toll roads), but I also understand the view that it should not be that hard to make a motorhome just within the specs ie: 3m high and 8m long in my case, so why wouldn’t you, as it would be more attractive to the potential buyer?
Indeed fortunate with our NB Arto 88EK - comes in at 2970mm, including the satellite antenna!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Ive had 3 at 7 metres and 2 at 8.5 metres .....i can honestly say i did get most places i wanted to go with the 8.5 metres at the time with a few exceptions...i did find on the particular ones i had ...burstner argos 747 and frankia i840 that they were particularly low at the back and combined with a long overhang and tag axle i did find i grounded the rear quite a bit in some places.

I guess it depends where you want to go ...small Spanish and Portuguese villages i found nerve-wracking with the 8.5 metre.
I now have a 7 metre hymer and ive found that can go pretty much anywhere and some of the villages here in greece you simply would not get an 8 metre through them. The other thing then to consider is if yourr only going to use sites are you going to carry a motorbike or tow a car on a trailer? Because if not then a lot of the most beautiful places are going to be inaccessible when over 7 metres
I am thinking that at 8m and with a large garage I will be able to bring a motorbike and electric bike for touring the inaccessible villages etc. Interesting point about Greek villages as I have been following your current thread...(thanks for brightening up the grim grey months of lockdown!)....slightly off the topic of this thread & maybe I should address it on the other one, but I wonder if it still possible to tour Greece reasonably successfully while avoiding those villages that you say would be inaccessible to an 8m?

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I fitted a Fresnel screen on the passenger window solves the visability problem, some people fit cameras.
A Class vans don't have folding mirrors but if you are that close to the mirrors you have got a problem.
I saw that you mentioned this on another thread, and I had to look up what a "Fresnel screen" was...! As said elsewhere, hauliers with large rigs drive solo so there are practical solutions to some of the issues, though route planning is probably a limitation.
Thanks to all of the replies here, I am getting to the conclusion that its not as much of a limitation as I had feared

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
We virtually Fulltime in our Frankia 840 tag... in it right now.... and we travel to Spain/Portugal twice a year Spring and Autumn... have not seen anything yet i would swap it for... layout which is No1 priority is perfect for us... plenty of space and storage...large garage... proper fullsize cooker... thing that puts me off the Morello's and Concordes is that we find them a bit OTT.... all too much chintz.... and certainly the height puts me off a little too..we have never had any problems at all on sites though we do tend to primarily use Aires and Camper stops... i agree with Northern Raider they do ride low and thats why we are having Air Assist suspension added to raise the rear end when required... oh and i also agree with his comment of carrying transport with you for when you arrive at a destination... hence why we carry E-bikes in our garage and tow a Motorcycle on a trailer as well..
Thanks Gary. Thats all useful to know. Yes the air suspension at least on the rear is a big & necessary item for me, from my previous dining experience with long rigs. And yes the layout you have is pretty much what I have in mind

Last edited:
OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
We had for 2.5 years an euramobil 9m length 2.99 tall tag fiat. We got cheaper tolls than our current morelo which is over 3m tall and it drove better than the morelo at 70mph on the motorway.
However the morelo been only 8.3m long means we can book most British sites without having to ring up and ask if they can take our length (8.5m seems to be a cut off for a lot of British sites).
Love that’s it’s left hand drive and absolutely love the larger fresh water, grey waste and black tank system for the toilet but I think the one thing that I like the best is the build quality.
my advice is to read honest reviews from funsters about the different makes and (even though I didn’t follow this advise myself as I liked the idea of a new one) is buy second hand as you may want to change it after a year, saying that we didn’t lose much from trading up to the morelo, which actually helped In our decision to buy new again.
Thanks for those practical details. I am a little surprised that the Morelo is not such a good drive.....
and yes, my target is somewhere from 2015 up....there seems to be a good range of vehicles available at that age

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
A N & B Flair at 8.3m for us, and now thinking of going to 8.8 for the larger kitchen area. Otherwise the van is ideal. All I would add to the above is, think rear wheel drive, and air suspension and self levelling which will be a boon if you are alone and trying to level up on ramps by yourself!
Yes to all of the above! Thanks

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I have abbreviated your post ;)

Isn't it strange how we all see things differently, we thought that MORELO and Concorde were quite understated and our MORELO is that plain that it allows us to add a bit of colour and fabric of our choice still no chintz though, we have friends who describe them as "sterile" likening to a dentists surgery, yes we are still friends.
To be fair, I didn't see "chintz" when I looked at those models but as mentioned above I tend to look back a few years so thought I might have missed something...............

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Al n Val
I have looked at the route given on here and the Michelin toll price guides but could have made it cheaper by cherry picking. When we go again we will avoid the non toll roads around Riemes - terrible in rush hour!

The latest, and best and cheapest toll route we’ve found is Calais, Rouen, Evereux, Dreux, Clermont Ferrand, Millau, and into Spain.

We did this last September and it was €86.80 in tolls, also we found some cheap fuel stops along the way.

All good roads and some lovely scenery along the way as well.

I need to point out, for us France is a route into Spain up to now, we have had about 12/14 nights in France but it’s not been a great experience so far for various reasons.

Al

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I fitted a Fresnel screen on the passenger window solves the visability problem, some people fit cameras.
A Class vans don't have folding mirrors but if you are that close to the mirrors you have got a problem.
Do you mean electric folding mirrors, ours has folding mirrors?

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Hi Kilroy,

I am also a solo traveller with a Carthago Mondial 58H which is 8.4L/3.4H/2.38W. This is as small as I would go unless a specific layout provided me with what I currently have in a shorter length which I haven't seen so far. Payload is critical for me as I like to be able to take what I like without having to worry if I am overloaded or not. I think mine has about 1150kgs available but of course you must subtract the extras fitted to the van from that.
Good to hear from another solo traveller and to know that I'm not the only solo thinking as I do! Comfortable payload is a factor that also informed my thinking
Still no issues though. I've had a couple of six metre vans which provided more nimble driving but concluded that I spent far more time parked up living in it than I ever did driving it so upsized and have never looked back.
ditto with the thought that I will spend A LOT more time parked up than driving
I tow a car on a twin axle trailer also which was the very first time I towed anything in my life! A baptism of fire to say the least but we only fear what we don't practice and now I almost forget it's even there. Strangely when I drive without the trailer now it feels positively spritely and chuckable!

Never had an issue on campsites across Germany or the UK other than low trees here and there. I carry some hedge trimmers anyway for such moments!
I've got a range of Felco's!
The route to your pitch can sometimes be a challenge but always made it and for a few moments of careful manoeuvring I have all that comfort. Having hydraulic Levelling Rams is a bonus with a van of this size and I wouldn't be without them. I'm 6ft3" but have no issues that in my van either but then I didn't really in my other two smaller vans except when showering. On that subject having a proper, separate shower cubicle with a door that cannot pop open during showering is one benefit of a larger van. The large bathroom space which extends across the width of the van was a real clincher for me but still has a closable door for the toilet room.
also big tick boxes in my decision process
As the van is quite tall with windows above head height outside I often get much better views over the top of caravans or hedges into the distance which is quite nice. I used to clear all evidence of occupancy in my smaller vans and tidy up but now as no one can look in I don't bother.
I never thought of that but it sounds good!
The other benefit is larger tankage. Unless you have a fully serviced pitch emptying the grey water tank and filling up fresh water can be a pain so having to do this less often is a boon. Large heavier vans tend to have larger tanks. I rarely if ever use campsite facilities so this is important to me. All in all I wouldn't go less than 8m.
Many thanks for your long reply. The point about tank size also made by Mr Porky is one I hadn't given a lot of thought to, but I am convinced

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
When considering your MH dont get totally focused on the length. as there are some very important additional consideration to make.
The chassis your MH sits on ?
Front wheel drive van chassis are notoriously poor maneuverers and are very susceptible to traction problems, the longer they are there worse they get.
A rear wheel drive Van chassis is more suited to the longer Wheel bases but still has manoeuvre issues.due to wheel base.
A truck based chassis by comparison has a much shorter wheelbase for any given length over the van.
and by nature has a better turning circle.
Truck chassis and Coach chassis have to meet a EU directive for turning circles, Van chassis do not need to meet this requirement.
In layman terms look at were the driver sits in relation to the from Axel,
In a van its always behind the front Axel
In a truck or coach its in front of the front Axel.

If you have your licence, the world is your oyster for choice.
The N&B below is 8.5m
Great point Andy & thanks for the layman's explanation

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
More or less the 1 thing that made us buy our 8.8 mtr tag axel was the fact that the lounge area has 2 long seats either side so we can put our feet up on a night and chill out, that and we wanted a fixed island bed.
yes to both of those thoughts!
I've now added a chassis mounted bike/scooter rack on the back which makes us around 9.3 mtrs so taking care when getting onto pitches comes into play especially when reversing, but the bonus is the rack pushes the hedges over now rather than the back bumper ;)
:LOL:
Its 3.03 mtrs high so we get class 2 at the tolls and have a toll tag so the barrier just lifts up, its made travelling so much easier.

Do we need the space, hell yeah we do, its out first venture into motor homing and we'd struggle with less room inside, and if we were full timing i'd want more tbh. If we change this one i'll consider having a slide out or 2.

Self levelling?? we wouldn't be without it, manual gearbox?? not a chance, wild camping?? don't really do it but never say never. I've done europe 5 times up to now and find RHD no problem but i do have a co-pilot.
and again 'yes' to all of that
Are their times when it all goes tits up?, yup, especially when the co pilot disappears round the back of the van out of mirror view whilst waving her arms frantically in any direction she chooses hoping i'll not run her over, its really funny afterwards but at the time the air is often BLUE :ROFLMAO:

cheers Al
Hilarious picture in my minds eye!!:ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:....I've had those kind of reversing assistants!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes I did, I didn't realise any of the bus mirrors folded.
Our bus mirrors don’t fold and I don’t think Concorde do either, on our Flair they would be the same mirror as Paul’s and yes they folded, don’t yours?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I can never understand the need for oversized motorhomes on the road, here’s why, I ...........................for shade, again eating and dining out.
We have a 7.0m m/h with a 3m trailer/ toad, which is plenty big enough and can negotiate most main roads.
Having a large m/h is maybe worth it if your on the road on a long trip, full timers otherwise it’s just another place to sit, watch tv, watch world go by from your window, to sum up when all said and done, it’s a place to sleep! May as well be at home 😉😎
I can never understand the need for a 10m long MH trailer combination............... we have an 8.4 m motorhome that’s plenty big enough ..........

So you are 10m long when travelling but 3m of that is unusable space?

My thoughts too.

Myself cannot understand the need for a trailer. Each to their own!

Each to their own eh! 😉

Ian

TrevChrizy

Free Member
Aug 19, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro
Exp
25 years
3m of unusable space which take us to places you can’t go, unless of coarse your beside a bus stop or train station or getting soaked in the rain walking with your dogs in tow or sit in your m/h and watch the rain coming down, not able to go out till it stops, finding the opportunity to get supplies, I’ll stick to my 3m of unusable space!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
3m of unusable space which take us to places you can’t go, unless of coarse your beside a bus stop or train station or getting soaked in the rain walking with your dogs in tow or sit in your m/h and watch the rain coming down, not able to go out till it stops, finding the opportunity to get supplies, I’ll stick to my 3m of unusable space!
Never had the problems you describe, I just hop on my ebike I keep in the garage or drive to destination and stay nearby if its that far. Gave up towing when I sold the caravan to get the MH, never saw the point of dragging a car around, may as well stick to a caravan to do that IMHO.;)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
I suspect in the UK we feel we will need a big MH because we think we'll be in it a lot. But my experience. We compromised on 7m for our first (wife wanted larger) and the reality is we spend most time or of doors, using the MH for cooking and sleeping. Particularly true on the continent or up in the Highlands. So one person? I'd get a PVC for maximum roaming capability.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We have a 2017 Chausson 718XLB. Auto, 7.49 metres long , 4.4 tonnes to avoid overloading carrying fair load , large garage, I would love a very large NB or a Concorde, but, sometimes with a big vehicle like them I assume there may be many views that you can't stop and look because of the said length. In saying that we are selling ours soon as moving into bungalow we bought and don't think we will use it for a Year or two

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I’m a single traveller and have a Burstner Elegance tag axle. In a lot of peoples view it’s overkill for one person but what the hell does it have to do with anyone else what my choice of vehicle is? In the book it’s 8.2m but in reality it’s 9.0m. ( measured by the Orkney ferry people ) It’s perfect for what I need / want. I have just over 1 tonne of payload so don’t need to worry too much. You would with a smaller van. If you’re wanting to take a motorbike / scooter you’re going to struggle with a smaller payload. Loads of room, drop down double bed at the front ( if either of my adult children visit ) and transverse double at the back above a big garage which houses ( full time ) my KTM Duke 390. Nice and dry and more importantly, out of sight! I also carry my emtb inside when driving. I dismantle my downhill mtb and put that in the garage when going down the Alps playing.
Ferries, tolls are more for a bigger van but I’d say it’s a small price to pay for the extra space / comfort. It’s not that often you use them anyway.
I wild camp on my own nearly all the time whilst up in Scotland and have never been hassled. You’ve just got to be sensible where you stay. I have never got myself into any tight spots manoeuvring about up there or in Europe. Again, a bit of forward planning ( google maps is brilliant for this ) to avoid problems. I carry two toilet cassettes when away and keep fresh water and fuel topped up at every opportunity. I don’t have any cameras on my van as of yet ( plans for a 360 system ) but parking has never been a problem. If you think it’s getting tight, pop the handbrake on, get out and have a look. It takes seconds to do that and can save a very expensive mistake!
RHD / LHD is a personal choice and depends on where the majority of your travelling is going to be. If you’re going to Europe for the majority of the time then a LHD would obviously be better.
Personally, I’d say go for a van with a bigger payload if your license permits.

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
I will add that you do occasionally come across sites that can’t accommodate the bigger vans ( CAMC / CL’s ) but again, forward planning can avoid this. When I do use CAMC sites you put your length into the booking procedure so it tells you then if you can fit. The wardens can then reserve a bigger pitch in readiness. CL’s you call on the phone anyway so you can ask them if there are restrictions. I much prefer CL’s personally because I’m an antisocial git!
Sorry if you already know this but thought I’d point it out just in case.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I’m a single traveller and have a Burstner Elegance tag axle. In a lot of peoples view it’s overkill for one person but what the hell does it have to do with anyone else what my choice of vehicle is? In the book it’s 8.2m but in reality it’s 9.0m. ( measured by the Orkney ferry people ) It’s perfect for what I need / want. I have just over 1 tonne of payload so don’t need to worry too much. You would with a smaller van. If you’re wanting to take a motorbike / scooter you’re going to struggle with a smaller payload. Loads of room, drop down double bed at the front ( if either of my adult children visit ) and transverse double at the back above a big garage which houses ( full time ) my KTM Duke 390. Nice and dry and more importantly, out of sight! I also carry my emtb inside when driving. I dismantle my downhill mtb and put that in the garage when going down the Alps playing.
Ferries, tolls are more for a bigger van but I’d say it’s a small price to pay for the extra space / comfort. It’s not that often you use them anyway.
I wild camp on my own nearly all the time whilst up in Scotland and have never been hassled. You’ve just got to be sensible where you stay. I have never got myself into any tight spots manoeuvring about up there or in Europe. Again, a bit of forward planning ( google maps is brilliant for this ) to avoid problems. I carry two toilet cassettes when away and keep fresh water and fuel topped up at every opportunity. I don’t have any cameras on my van as of yet ( plans for a 360 system ) but parking has never been a problem. If you think it’s getting tight, pop the handbrake on, get out and have a look. It takes seconds to do that and can save a very expensive mistake!
RHD / LHD is a personal choice and depends on where the majority of your travelling is going to be. If you’re going to Europe for the majority of the time then a LHD would obviously be better.
Personally, I’d say go for a van with a bigger payload if your license permits.
Hell your right

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Agree with ASR ,my " Concorde" is my choice ,my forth MoHo since 1972 ish. Scotland France Spain Italy Germany have all been a learning curve that's the joy of touring ,BUT with the Concorde ,,luxury living at the twighlight years is a must .Why compromise ?? " This 'aint no practice run,this IS the real thing " ,," If you can't do it here ,you won't do it at all " Purchase what ever you can afford ,and LIVE !!

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
The last 3 posts are bloody spot on, i’m on my first motorhome which I purchased brand new in Sep 2018, an Autotrail Comanche.

Am I wrong in thinking I want to change for an A class in September, i’ll be 68 then and need to spend some money on me and the missus before the kids start arguing who’s getting what.

I just wish i’d been doing this 20 years ago

OP
OP
K
Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
I will add that you do occasionally come across sites that can’t accommodate the bigger vans ( CAMC / CL’s ) but again, forward planning can avoid this. When I do use CAMC sites you put your length into the booking procedure so it tells you then if you can fit. The wardens can then reserve a bigger pitch in readiness. CL’s you call on the phone anyway so you can ask them if there are restrictions. I much prefer CL’s personally because I’m an antisocial git!
Sorry if you already know this but thought I’d point it out just in case.
Thanks for that. I'm an anti social git myself.....hence travelling solo;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back