Motorhome Toilet Emptied On Beach.

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by The Old Man, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Conversely if the councils were properly business-minded they might see an opportunity to charge for otherwise empty car parks.

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. 2plus2

2plus2 Funster

Ratings:
    +10
    I recently witnessed a motorhome owner emptying his toilet in the bushes on the car park at Aberdovey beach. When I challenged him he just laughed. I sent the picture of his vehicle and reg to the local council. I will not be tarnished by these unscrupulous motor home owners who will ruin it for all of us

• Nice One! Nice One! x 6
    • Like it Like it x 3
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +38,904
    And - as I'm sick and tired of having to repeat - that ignores the fact that the car park may not be suitable for all sorts of reasons, including regular use by heavy vehicles.
    Every case needs to be looked at on its merits, not pre-judged to accord with wants.

4. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Most people would agree that there are a lot of car parks that are not big enough or the access is too restricted for use by Motorhomes, but there are plenty of car parks that are suitable for use by Motorhomes.

I dont agree regarding surfaces (with my HGV experience hat on) the majority of carpark surfaces would cope with the minor additional weight of motorhomes. IMHO its over 7.5t tonnes where it becomes a bit more of an issue.

The French (and others) actively control Motorhome parking in popular areas by directing you to them and then charge appropriately.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +38,904
    You are entitled to your opinion but my statement is based on facts, not opinion - facts obtained from discussing the matter with engineers in charge of LA car parks. It is not just the surface but also the foundation structure which matters. Most car parks are designed to cope with passenger cars, the vast majority of which are under 2 tonnes, and councils build them to that specification rather than loading the extra cost of over-specification on their taxpayers.

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I used to own a parcel and courier company that ran trucks and vans and we were frequently in and out of car parks ( sometimes with artics) Those plain doors that are at the edges of many town carparks are in the main delivery doors. Ever notice the hatched loading areas? or the please dont obstruct this entrance signs?

I also question whether its possible to construct a surface that would cope with cars but not 5 tonnes?

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +38,904
    Offhand I can think of delivery yards in this area but not car parks with such features. Certainly not car parks in general. On the other hand I can think of several car parks serving suburban shopping parades which are regularly damaged by delivery drivers who find it more convenient to deliver through the front of shops rather than take the time to use the delivery bays at the rear.

8. Ingwe

Ingwe Funster

Ratings:
    +498
    Part of the problem with this type of behaviour is the reluctance (understandable) to confront the offender. The risk of violence is ever present. I don't know whether there are cultural differences between us and our European neighbours but something we witnessed in Greece suggests that social pressure without threat of physical repercussions works well.
    We were parked at beautiful beach along with a dozen or so other vans. We were the only UK van. The parking was at the end of a row of small tavernas on the main street of a village.
    We had just finished our supper, it was just getting dark, when an awful pong spread over the area. Our German neighbour came over and told us the smell was caused by a French van owner who had emptied two cassettes onto the beach. The German was outraged, as were we, and we went and knocked on the offender's door. He eventually opened it and was told in no uncertain terms that what he'd done was anti-social and unacceptable. He said his cassettes were full and what was he supposed to do? The German replied that he should take steps to empty his cassettes appropriately at an earlier point but that basically, his problem with his toilet shouldn't become ours' and the Greek village's problem.
    There was no aggression, just forcefully put argument, including pointing out that the village tolerated this free parking, including use of two taps for fresh water and was very welcoming. They didn't deserve to have their home polluted by inconsiderate visitors.
    With that, the offender went out with a spade and buried the filth before shamefacedly going inside his van.
    Of course one would hope for such actions not to happen at all, but if they do, it should be the norm to confront people without fear of escalating to a punch-up or worse.
    Phew! Missive over.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  9. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Sorry been busy all day ; maybe its not so prevalent in your area but I could take you to a lot of car parks with delivery access. This serves to underline the point that - while not all car parks are suitable it still leaves a lot that are.

Ive also thought some more about your point about 'only being suitable for the weight of cars' ASFAIK most carparks are constructed and serviced using heavy vehicles, they re surely not going to make a car park that the cherry pickers/dustbin lorries/snowploughs etc cant go in and bearing in mind the weapon of choice for delivering tarmac is either 26 or 31 tonnes, how is that going to work. I would suggest that carparks in the UK where the surfaces cant cope with a motorhome would be an incredibly small proportion.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  10. gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +205
    And not only in a NUMBER of places along that coast, a NUMBER of places in various parts of the country, again it's probably something to do with a campsite owner or local.

11. gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +205
    It's the same old story, complain to someone in authority about a couple of innocent motorhomers overnighting near some beach or beauty spot or heaven forbid,near a campsite, and they would be met with a response such if they aren't committing any crimes or some similar response, then the only way to ensure the desired result would be to "embroider" the complaint, and once they mention cassette, black waste it's game over, up go the "no motorhomes between 11pm-8am" or even NO MOTORHOMES" so they get the desired result. Seen it happen here in South Wales, and no doubt will happen all over the country wherever there are desirable parking spots.

• Like it Like it x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +38,904
    I can only repeat, my statement is based on facts, not opinion - facts obtained from discussing the matter with engineers in charge of LA car parks.

13. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +7,060
    Without wishing to be pedantic but you have spoken to LA Engineers.
    Unless you have seen the spec and drawings they could tell you what they want.
    It’s not unusual by some in the LA to tell people things that may not be totally correct in fact.
    There’s me with my cynical head onnagain :rolleyes:

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. jonegood

jonegood Funster

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I do not believe it would be possible to lay a tarmac carpark that would not cope with the average Motorhome. The machinery they use to do the job weighs far more.

I agree, I think they are lying too.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +38,904
    Branding people liars just because they tell you something you don't want to hear is pathetic.
    Some of the engineers are people I knew personally and know I could trust to tell me the truth.

You could, of course, undertake research to try to prove your points if you are confident enough.

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +7,060
    It was an observation that you took information on trust given to you.

I’ve dealt with some in LA that have been less than straight in their information.
    Be it I’ll informed or just their version of information that I don’t know.

I’m not bothered about parking in car parks or gaining access, I’m happy using supermarket car parks for my needs.
    If a town or city doesn’t want to provide parking spaces I’ll move on somewhere else.

Regarding the construction of car parks I would hazard a guess most are constructed to highways spec and over engineered.

17. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +7,060
    As a point of interest in my job I used to be involed in the enabling works for mobile phone aerials.
    Very often we would lay a temporary/permanent road down for our heavy traffic. This would be 60 tonne cranes and 30 tonne concrete wagons.
    The road would be around 200 to 300 deep type one compacted very often on green field sites.
    In my two years we never lost a wagon to poor road.

18. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Ratings:
    +4,694
    So that's settled then ... unless @GJH built the car park himself with his own fair hand and provides certified copies of all plans and material specs on demand then car parks can be assumed to be ok for motorhomes ... even if they don't want to stay in them.
    I was tempted to say "doh" but didnt...

Oh wait ...
    (n)

• Like it Like it x 2
  19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +38,904
    Telling words "I would hazard a guess".
    If councils give false information in response to a FoI request they lay themselves open to action by the ICO. Information can, therefore, normally be trusted.

20. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +7,060
    Any chance you can post up pictures of the drawings you have been shown or the specs for the car parks you have enquirer about.
    Just as an interest (y)