Motorhome Starter Packs help please (1 Viewer)

Brand New Day

Free Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tyneside & Murcia Spain
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 530
Exp
Since April 2021
Hello,
We’re waiting for a call to arrange collection of our first MH after lockdown.
Is it best to try to buy a starter pack from the dealer (gas bottle permitting they said in November) Or buy individually?
We only knew about them thanks to someone on this forum mentioning it, so thanks for that.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Probably depends on what is included and at what cost, but dealers being dealers, it`s unlikely to be good value.
I`ve never bought new or from a dealer but I assumed they threw in whatever you`d need to get started as a sweetner to the deal ?

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Check out the classified ads on here.
Could also check amazon/ebay for what they including, compare prices than haggle.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Things like a gas bottle electric hook up cable fire extinguisher someone alarm CO2 should all be in the base vehicle as part of the package (in my opinion) oh and front cab carpet as well. Double check if they ar members of caravan and camping or another organisation as sometimes you find dealers do club discounts but never check to see if your a member.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Show us the starter pack ingredients and all us experienced Funsters can “paw over it”. We can then advise you as to what’s important. I can see arguments here.
Phil

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Everybody's needs of a starterpack will be different but dont get conned into to buying gas bottles. If it a new van with autochange over you want to see all appliances working including changeover. The only thing you dont want to see working is the crash protection system. It will be a pretty poor dealer that takes the bottles out. If they try just say youd expect the bottles to have been included.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Of your local top is open you might pick up a gas bottle there. They're usually happy to give them away. That's where my son picked his up from, and then took them back when he latter changed to refillable.

Upvote 0
Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
You will probably require a small tool kit, a hose, tap adapters. You'll probably find your adding must have bits all the time, and then every so often remove the things you never used.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2020
Southport
Funster No
MH
Carado i338 15 editi
Exp
Hello,
Is it best to try to buy a starter pack from the dealer (gas bottle permitting they said in November) Or buy individually?
We only knew about them thanks to someone on this forum mentioning it, so thanks for that.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2020
Southport
Funster No
MH
Carado i338 15 editi
Exp
We are also awaiting to collect a new Motorhome and the dealer quoted £295 for a starter pack containing electric cable, food gradew ater hose and adapters, two 6k gas bottles with fittings. I did not have to ask twice before he included them in the deal. ..saved £295.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
£295! XXXX XXXX and im not even from Yorkshire.
Old bottles from tip or free ads
EHU Cable £30
Flat hose 20m £30
Numerous hose fitings fom pound shop £5
Where does £300 come from?
If they try charging for gas bottles tell them to take them out. Youve now got the measure of your dealer.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
The point is I got the lot for nowt.
My point was aimed at the op.
You paid the right price ie part of the deal.
As stated earlier the dealer isnt likely to be the cheapest for some items, my salesperson told me ill get the quote but youd be better off going elsewhere (gaslow system). They will have 2 minimum prices in mind the minimum money they get from the deal and min value of mh. I wanted the best price with no extras then £1500 of offers appeared with no extra charge. See jims article in thefun mag somewhere

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
All I got thrown in was a 25m EHU cable. At handover I needed to point out it was missing, so they had to go and get one from their accessory shop. Pfffft.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Gas bottle from local re-cycling centre, should get a hook-up cable with the van.

Upvote 0

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Picking a new van up in Feb, its brand new and I have paid the asking price of £37995, I have not asked for any extras but I was just happy to have secured one of the new auto trails because the next batch won't be ready until November so I am told, Oh and its got an underslung refillable tank so will not be needing bottles!

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Hello,
I bought my new to me van off Simon at Simon-Alan Kerr when he was at his old employers, and I don’t know if he’s still doing it at his new dealers but his “starter packs” came at no extra cost with the van.
Gas Bottle and spanner
25m Electric hook up lead
Fire extinguisher
Blue and Pink toilet fluids
Toilet rolls

I thought it was a nice touch👍

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
£295! XXXX XXXX and im not even from Yorkshire.
Old bottles from tip or free ads
EHU Cable £30
Flat hose 20m £30
Numerous hose fitings fom pound shop £5
Where does £300 come from?
If they try charging for gas bottles tell them to take them out. Youve now got the measure of your dealer.
You Yorkshire men are well off

2 electric cables 15m and 25m both second hand but unused ...1 still unused £10 and £12 respectfully
50 metre hose off ebay £12 .... cut in too 3 sections and fitted with fittings ebay £1.50 each set

Gas bottles id never buy unless refillables

Dealer stealers are a joke

Wouldn't buy a van from one either but that's just personal choice

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brand New Day

Brand New Day

Free Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tyneside & Murcia Spain
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 530
Exp
Since April 2021
Thanks ever so much for your helpful replies. We’ve decided to buy the individual bits ourselves, and we’re going to wait until we get the MH. We haven’t had a call yet for collection, need to be shown how to use, it’s not a new MH it’s a few year old. The guy at the dealers said we would need an electric cable and gas bottle so presume previous owners have removed them? We’ve started pricing our option. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks ever so much for your helpful replies. We’ve decided to buy the individual bits ourselves, and we’re going to wait until we get the MH. We haven’t had a call yet for collection, need to be shown how to use, it’s not a new MH it’s a few year old. The guy at the dealers said we would need an electric cable and gas bottle so presume previous owners have removed them? We’ve started pricing our option. Thanks again.
You should still insist on gas being fitted for handover demonstrations.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back