Motorhome security device Ideas (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
With the theft of motorhomes now being on the increase, now it would appear that thieves can get past Fiat immobilisers should we put our heads together and think up some simple but effective ways to protect our vans.

maybe some of you on here might not have the knowledge of knowhow to make such devices but you might have some good ideas that could be made by other members and produced cheaply,

I will start with some mostly already out there,
wheel clamp...……………………………………………………..To heavy

Crook lock or similar...……………………………………………...easy removed by cutting through steering wheel

Pedal clamp/ box ……………………………………..a box is bulky but a custom made clamp maybe

Fuel shut off solenoid ……………a bit of a fiddle to fit...…………...effective

Various Deadlocks...…………………………….. wont stop them driving away

Steel post in your drive...……………. must have a drive

Any suggestions good bad or other lets put some thought into this and see if between us we can come up with a cost effective solution of a mechanical deterrent.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Are motorhome thefts on the increase? or is the re-reporting of thefts more prolific?

Do we have any evidence that motorhome thefts are on the increase?

I do notice that all of the tales of "woe is me" reported thefts of motorhomes, the owners have taken little or no steps to protect their property.

The only theft of a motorhome that I recall in the last couple of months where the owner had bothered to fit a tracking device, was the incident where the owner was reunited with his motorhome a couple of hours after it was stolen.

No one with a Growler alarm had had their motorhome stolen, despite many recorded attempts

There is no mechanical device that is effective unless it is welded on. (y)

I have been thinking about motorhome security for thirty years(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In the security business we use the philosophy of security in depth.

We NEVER rely on a single method of securing anything. You have a layered defence using both physical and technical methods.

I would suggest you treat your van like a castle which is where this philosophy originated from.

Stop them getting to your van in the first place. Gates, fences and bollards.
If they get to your van, stop them getting in, deadlocks etc.
If they get in, stop them starting the engine, immobilisers, fuel valves etc.
If they do get in and start the engine, stop them operating the vehicles, claws, brake boxes, seats reversed etc.
If they get past all that, have some means of rapidly and easily recovering your vehicle, tracker etc.
During all this have an alarm going off to draw attention to the thieves that is triggered as early in the process as possible.

There is no one solution and there is no solution that is effective on it's own.

Your job is to make it so that it is more trouble than it is worth to the thieves. Slow them down as much as possible to increase the risk of them being disturbed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
In the security business we use the philosophy of security in depth.

We NEVER rely on a single method of securing anything. You have a layered defence using both physical and technical methods.

I would suggest you treat your van like a castle which is where this philosophy originated from.

Stop them getting to your van in the first place. Gates, fences and bollards.
If they get to your van, stop them getting in, deadlocks etc.
If they get in, stop them starting the engine, immobilisers, fuel valves etc.
If they do get in and start the engine, stop them operating the vehicles, claws, brake boxes, seats reversed etc.
If they get past all that, have some means of rapidly and easily recovering your vehicle, tracker etc.
During all this have an alarm going off to draw attention to the thieves that is triggered as early in the process as possible.

There is no one solution and there is no solution that is effective on it's own.

Your job is to make it so that it is more trouble than it is worth to the thieves. Slow them down as much as possible to increase the risk of them being disturbed.
I agree 100% and would add that a lot of security planning is persuading a thief to rob the van next door.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Who says that the fiat immobilsers are being got past?
Knew Ford ones were bring bypassed but not fiat.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Best idea I can come up with is don't post your security system on an open forum.

Most security deterants are visual even alarms can have warning alarmed, I think there will be more thieves on the street than on here :)

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Are motorhome thefts on the increase? or is the re-reporting of thefts more prolific?

Do we have any evidence that motorhome thefts are on the increase?

I do notice that all of the tales of "woe is me" reported thefts of motorhomes, the owners have taken little or no steps to protect their property.

The only theft of a motorhome that I recall in the last couple of months where the owner had bothered to fit a tracking device, was the incident where the owner was reunited with his motorhome a couple of hours after it was stolen.

No one with a Growler alarm had had their motorhome stolen, despite many recorded attempts

There is no mechanical device that is effective unless it is welded on. (y)

I have been thinking about motorhome security for thirty years(y)

No definite proof of theft going up Eddie just what I have read on here and Fiat always seemed to not be the choice for thieves.

Would it be rude to ask the cost (approx) for a Growler alarm I know these are said to be one of the best on the market.

Also would a Growler be as effective on say an earlier type of van with a mechanical pump as most people know it is a simple task to remove a plunger from the pump ?
I am referring to immobilising

As you say welding on is always a good start.(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In addition to other measures make it difficult to actually drive the motorhome away ....... we park ours at the end of the drive farthest from the road and tucked in so that even with a lot of practice it takes a minimum of a 3 point turn to turn it round - and that is with an extra person guiding as to just how far to reverse back and drive forward.

It would have to be turned outside our lounge / bedroom and then driven across the house frontage. So quiet here that I think we would notice :)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Most security deterants are visual even alarms can have warning alarmed, I think there will be more thieves on the street than on here :)

Of course most security detergents are visual, telling all and sundry how you protect your property on an open forum is a fools game, a bit like saying, "We''re off to Beni" for the winter, anyone fancy nipping around to our place".

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Disklok.
If parked up for longish period eg winter take a road wheel off and lock in garage leaving motorhome blocked up and visibly disabled.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I don’t get what you mean,

Asking for ideas for mechanical deterants! Not you secret switches or any thing like that.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I don’t get what you mean,

Asking for ideas for mechanical deterants! Not you secret switches or any thing like that.

Maybe I'm over protective, but I wouldn't tell anyone that wants to pinch my van what tools to bring along to make the job easier for them.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
A very large distinguishing, difficult remove (but nonetheless removable for resale) Decal in a prominent position. Not everyone's cup of tea I know but I believe that the determined thief will not live or have premises near enough to remove the said distinguishing mark before they are spotted.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Maybe I'm over protective, but I wouldn't tell anyone that wants to pinch my van what tools to bring along to make the job easier for them.

I meant this more of a general opinion/ideas thread, rather than your own personal arrangements (y)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I meant this more of a general opinion/ideas thread, rather than your own personal arrangements (y)

I understand what you meant but it's so easy for people to become complacent on t'internet. We've got this, that and t'other to protect our van. Next week you've/we've got something for sale and phone numbers, addresses are changing hands. Each to their own.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
A good deterrent is to keep it out of sight.
If you cannot do that, make it look as uninviting as possible.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Disklok.
If parked up for longish period eg winter take a road wheel off and lock in garage leaving motorhome blocked up and visibly disabled.
They will notice that and return with a wheel! It’s been done on a twin axle caravan, all four wheel in the garage, they returned with four of theirs,

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Surely a discreet installation of this would stop all thefts.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Best security there is... Full and effective insurance.
If the scroats really want it and are determined enough they WILL get it even with trackers etc.

It's a material possession and as upsetting as it may be its replaceable, you won't die if it's stolen.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
earlier type of van with a mechanical pump as most people know it is a simple task to remove a plunger from the pump ?
Not quite that simple I'm afraid.
There's really only one readily removable plunger on a mechanical injector pump and removing that won't prevent it starting.... But it will prevent it stopping.
It's the electric fuel cut-off solenoid plunger

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Not quite that simple I'm afraid.
There's really only one readily removable plunger on a mechanical injector pump and removing that won't prevent it starting.... But it will prevent it stopping.
It's the electric fuel cut-off solenoid plunger
I did not say that it would stop it starting,
But would certainly bypass any security device that interrupted the power to the fuel pump solenoide.

Most thieves are not as stupid as people think they are just thieves who hone their skills.

Some years ago a chap at a car show selling wheel clamps said it can not be removed I bet him I could remove it, which I did in two minuets,
His answer was ( but a member of the public would not know that)

To which I replied (a member of the public would not steal your car) :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I did not say that it would stop it starting,
But would certainly bypass any security device that interrupted the power to the fuel pump solenoide.
My apologies Steve, I just read your post again and completely misunderstood what you meant.
Yes, I agree... It would be pointless disabling the fuel pump supply for the reason you state.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back