Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Carmarthenshire,Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Everyone,
Can some-one please advise on a good Sat Nat for a motorhome. I am a woman driver & can get myself out of most narrow lanes but would now like to purchase a good sat nav that is designed for larger vehicles. I have a 25ft length van Baileys which i assume is quite average but i don't fancy getting stuck somewhere. I know the Lorry sat navs are really expensive is there something like that for my motorhome that is reasonably priced. All advice is appreciated. Thank-you.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There are plenty of cheap Chinese Truck sat navs on ebay.. and plenty of people use and swear by them them.. I tied one and just swore at it, found it was poor quality screen with glitchy software and updating maps wasn't easy.. if at all possible. Sent it back for a refund .. from around £30 up , just an example

I now have Garmin Camper. 660LMT-D , but it's not cheap.. around £300 .. I bought mine when it was on offer at Aldi for £185 .. look for deals on them. It's the best sat nav I have used.. highly recommend it.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/524489

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I too bought a cheap Chinese sat nav and it was absolute rubbish as it kept crashing and freezing up.
I now have the Garmin camper 660 and it’s been very good so far, now been using it 3 years without any problems.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I like Garmin as well. The Chinese ones (and at least some of the similar ones sold by UK companies) contain pirate software and inaccurate map files (missing truck element).

My notes on sat nav experiences, plus a link to a comparison of different devices Here.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use copilot caravan on a tablet or phone. £50. Just put in your size weight and road preferences.
I like that rather than a blanket ban or like to use tolls you can set it to only use tolls when the alternative is not a good road.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I must admit I seem to be using google maps more and more when away. I don't use it in the motorhome as it does not appear to have the functionality for trucks. I just use it when in the Smart (it has built in Sat Nav) But the ability for Google Maps to see live traffic (far better than other systems seem too) and offer the best route for the current traffic situation is great. It is so accurate, the amount of times I have seen the road go red showing stationary traffic perhaps 200 yds. ahead around the corner, and sure enough round we go and the traffic is indeed stationary.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I think £200-£300 is a good guide to the price you need to pay for a good HGV nav
If less than that, AND it works, you have done well/ been lucky
I find E bay a waste of my time. I wouldnt buy electronics off a stranger on a market stall 250 miles from my home,.......

Sep 8, 2017
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4
Exp
Since March 2015
We purchased an Aguri. Great product let’s you add in all your vehicle dimensions, make additional choices on the type of route you want and lifetime updatable maps and data. What’s more if you have a problem, there’s always someone extremely knowledgeable at the end of a phone. Cost circa £250 well worth it IMO.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Another vote for the Aguri
I have the 720 and love it, easy to use and built in dash cam.

Had a glitch a few days ago when it lost the satelite link and subsequently I tried to update the software yesgerday but it wouldn't take. I emailed Aguri last night and they called me back this morning and are going to send a replacement unit out to me in Portugal! Service or what !!!

Other than that its been faultless.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've tried many different SatNavs, from £100 to over £1000 and am still looking for a good one.
It's surprising that they are still so poor at doing what they should after so many years of development.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I've had many TomToms, including the Camper version, a Garmin Nuvi and currently CoPilot. All of these last three included Live/Active Traffic which is important to me. Yesterday CoPilot wanted to route me down totally unsuitable narrow country lanes, exactly the same route that my Garmin tried a few years ago and this is despite there being an 'A' road running close by. The TomTom never did this but I object to the high prices they are charging for maps and traffic (I missed out of the later 'Lifetime Maps' deal) and, with a new version of the Camper now launched, I suspect that mine will soon not be able to update.
I've increased the size of my MH in CoPilot's settings, reduced set speeds for Secondary Roads and Local Streets (I could ride a bike at these speeds!) and changed preferences to avoid them whenever possible. That's cracked it for this particular route and, I hope, for other routes in future, but who knows?
TomTom's traffic is excellent, Garmin's was rubbish and CoPilot's recently helped us to avoid some serious delays.
What would I recommend? TomTom if you don't object to the cost.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
The issue with all satnav is, they are only as good as the mapping they use.

Mostly a third party 'supplies' these maps, so if a narrow road hasn't been mapped correctly, or if at all, problems may arise.

If, for instance they could utilize Michelin maps, which give the width of roads, these issues would happen a lot less.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I also have the Aguri Motorhome and Caravan 720 and am generally pleased with it. I have a couple of criticisms - the ordinary audio was not loud enough for me in a noisy van, and upon telling them this they sent me a free loudspeaker which is small and has a clip for the sun visor or your shirt front. The other criticism is that when the navigation is up, the information panel text is not large enough meaning I have to peer at it. However, as @BreweryDave said, their support is fantastic and they have a 'chat' feature which is helpful. Also cheaper than TomTom or Garmin, I paid £259.99. They currently have a re-furbed one selling for £229.99.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Having reported the bad routing to CoPilot late yesterday (see my comment above), I have already had a response, which is quite impressive! They have passed on the problem to their 'Map Data providers' who turn out to be 'Here', suppliers of map data for built-in satnavs for many of the major car makers including Fiat........ so, presumably Ducato?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
There are plenty of cheap Chinese Truck sat navs on ebay.. and plenty of people use and swear by them them.
Hands up here. ;) I'm one of them, having travelled extensively across many parts of Western Europe with ours for a number of years now. :)
It had a wee bit of a tizzy last year, down a dusty lane next to a canal in Beziers, so I just reverted to the built in car maps for the short journey to the Camper Stop, whereupon, the Truck Maps on the micro SD card became usable again. Not sure what happened, but it didn't happen again.
On a different trip, we went right down as far as Murcia and back again over last winter, using the same 2017 Q2 Navteq Truck Maps with the iGO software, and it didn't falter once. (y)

I have just recently downloaded and installed the 2018 Q1 Truck Maps, and look forward to using those also. It's the essential Truck File (.ftr) which makes all the difference. ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.X7"+Truck+Sat+Nav.TRS0&_nkw=7"+Truck+Sat+Nav&_sacat=0

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
They have passed on the problem to their 'Map Data providers' who turn out to be 'Here', suppliers of map data for built-in satnavs for many of the major car makers including Fiat........ so, presumably Ducato?
And it's "Here" mapping which is used when updating the maps I referred to in my post above. Apparently, more accurate than the TomTom mapping.

Cheers,

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
And it's "Here" mapping which is used when updating the maps I referred to in my post above. Apparently, more accurate than the TomTom mapping.

Cheers,

Not more accurate than TomTom in my experience Jock. I've never had such issues with any of my TomToms, just Garmin and CoPilot. You'll have to try travelling somewhere really challenging............ like Kent :rofl:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

Are there different versions of ‘Here’ maps, I wonder?

I have free updates on a Snooper but have to pay annually on a Pioneer. You cannot expect a service you don’t pay for to be as detailed or up to date as the one you do. ‘Here’ seems to be used by many different SatNavs but I’m not convinced that it’s the best if the bunch, or any better if subscribed to.

I’m surprised that such maps do not show the position of traffic lights. Clearly, they cannot take them into consideration for route duration. Speed restrictions seem pretty out of date, too.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 6

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I should have added that like many of you I have had a fair few Sat Navs. Some were portable units and some fitted systems. By far the worst was Snooper, what a pile of overpriced junk.

I have said this before and will say it again “the sound was like a 1960s’ transistor radio, the graphics looked like they were drawn by a 10 year old, the stand looked like it was made in a woodwork class and trying to update was nothing short of a joke”

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Another vote for the Aguri
I have the 720 and love it, easy to use and built in dash cam.

Had a glitch a few days ago when it lost the satelite link and subsequently I tried to update the software yesgerday but it wouldn't take. I emailed Aguri last night and they called me back this morning and are going to send a replacement unit out to me in Portugal! Service or what !!!

Other than that its been faultless.
Similar happened to a friend over Easter when they were in France. A new model was sent to a campsite and they were just asked to return the old one at their convenience. They were astonished at such good service. An Aguri like yours.

OP
OP
Helen Calow

Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Carmarthenshire,Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. All good & it was great to get a few recommendation. Thanks again!

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I've had the cheap Chinese sat nav for 4 years. It has the Igo mapping put on by a kind Funster. Sometimes it may freeze but 98% of the time it's been great. I've been to France on numerous occasions, Spain, Portugal and Germany. I would not spend fortunes on a sat nav that does the same as my cheapo. As jock said the truck maps must be uploaded

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
You cannot expect a service you don’t pay for to be as detailed or up to date as the one you do.
Normally I would go along with that, but on this occasion, the proof is in the eating of the pudding............as they say. ;)

I’m surprised that such maps do not show the position of traffic lights. Clearly, they cannot take them into consideration for route duration. Speed restrictions seem pretty out of date, too.
Not so with the units, software, and mapping I use, ie, I can set up a warning for traffic lights, level crossings, schools, etc, etc.

They are updated on a regular basis but the ones on the Chinese cheap sat navs are older, pirate copies.
On receipt of the units Graham, I grant you, however, if owners do a bit of homework, the latest maps are "freely" available to all. :)
For example..........

upload_2018-6-7_20-40-24.png

I've had the cheap Chinese sat nav for 4 years. It has the Igo mapping put on by a kind Funster. Sometimes it may freeze but 98% of the time it's been great. I've been to France on numerous occasions, Spain, Portugal and Germany. I would not spend fortunes on a sat nav that does the same as my cheapo. As jock said the truck maps must be uploaded
You ready for 2018 Q1 now Daz? :LOL:

Cheers,

Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
I recently bought a Garmin Camper 770 and on its first outing took me past the end of the road where the campsite was and round a 1.5 mile detour down some heart stoppingly narrow country lanes in north Wales. I'm hoping it was a one off but just in case my co-pilot will be following a paper map as insurance from now on or at least until I can learn to trust the Garmin again.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Normally I would go along with that, but on this occasion, the proof is in the eating of the pudding............as they say. ;)

Not so with the units, software, and mapping I use, ie, I can set up a warning for traffic lights, level crossings, schools, etc, etc.

My Pioneer tried to take me under a low bridge in Ludlow and showed me wandering across fields because the maps were outdated. The local speed limit information was also hopelessly inaccurate. Yet, as far as I know, I had the current map data.

I don’t think ‘Here’ support traffic lights (in my version).

Whilst ‘Here’ provides the data, software interprets and displays it. Software, however good, cannot improve poor data and some make it even worse.

I’m happy to pay my way by having ‘kosher’ code and data but become somewhat demoralised when that fails to deliver. Even more so if I am to believe that counterfeit products can do better!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
My Pioneer tried to take me under a low bridge in Ludlow and showed me wandering across fields because the maps were outdated. The local speed limit information was also hopelessly inaccurate. Yet, as far as I know, I had the current map data.

I don’t think ‘Here’ support traffic lights (in my version).

Whilst ‘Here’ provides the data, software interprets and displays it. Software, however good, cannot improve poor data and some make it even worse.

I’m happy to pay my way by having ‘kosher’ code and data but become somewhat demoralised when that fails to deliver. Even more so if I am to believe that counterfeit products can do better!
I kid you not @rogher, I m not much of a gambler, but I'd have a bet on you being impressed to say the least, if you were to experience the abilities of my current cheapie Chinese Sat Nav......................with it's latest iGO software and Truck Maps. It really is an amazing piece of kit for the money. (y)
BTW, the maps and software are freely available on the internet, to anyone who seeks them.

Cheers,

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
On receipt of the units Graham, I grant you, however, if owners do a bit of homework, the latest maps are "freely" available to all. :)
For example..........
I've never known those maps to be freely available only from anywhere other than pirate sites though Jock

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back