Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Hidi Ho campers!
Were looking into getting Mertle the Merc re-upholstered sometime over the next few months. Theres nothing actually wrong with the interior, however as the van is 1990 (G Reg) its looking somewhat outdated now. Theres Pink & Beige florals as far as the eye can see!! :cry:

Based here in the sunny midlands, has anyone got any recomendations who to use or where to go? Ive been looking on Regals website, which all looks quite daper, but are there any others that people have experienced? What materials did you opt for? (Vinyl or fabric) Anything to avoid? Being a rather pricy venture its something id like to get right first time. (y)

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Being in Lincoln,Ilkeston is not that far,have a run down to Regal,you can go upstairs into the cutting room ,see and choose from maybe 70 rolls of fabrics,sit on different density foam "fills ?",and be spoilt. We had top class service from them when we chose the fabrics for the Timberland and our Wildax we have now,nothing was to much trouble and we are very pleased with the results.
There is an electric hook up in the yard and i am sure customers have "Over nighted" when work has been carried out. We have no connection with this company,only as happy customers.
Tea Bag

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We use Regal last year

Sadly we have always been disappointed with it, lots of mistakes and poorly finished .

I do know others who have been very pleased which is why we went with them

Neil

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have used CaraVan twice and my son ( Nemo on here ) was so impressed he had his done last year.

They are at most of the shows and Paul ( son of the boss man ) is an absolute diamond bending over backwards to see you get what you want..
I honestly cannot speak high enough of them.

They are based close to Brum.. Take you van to them the night before.. Park up and in the morning jump a bus in to town..
Go back and collect the van at about 4ish all completed..
Inspect it ( they really do want you to go over everything to make sure all is as expected ) and on your way
When we had the Miller done I spotted an issue with one of the facing boards.
The cloth was joined ( due to the length ) and the nap was running in defferent directions on the two bits of cloth..
Well talk about swing in to action !!! Massive apologies and sorted out without any issues and in super rapid time too ( amazing how fast they do the work ! )
A cup of tea and an offered sandwich later and we were away !
After that the whole job was perfect

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We used plumbs they were at a neighbours house and commented on our van any way
he ended up giving us a exellent price and service it was his last job before he retired. .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We also used Tappers in fact Richard will come out to you highly recommend him and them
john

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I remember being impressed by the pictures of @Armytwowheels van, think they had theirs done at caravan.

Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are having ours done at the moment in Portugal less than half the price of Regal and so far they make a better job.
We have been winter ring in Portugal and had this recommended to us.
Will post photos when completed.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We used CaraVan last year and were pleased with the result. We had a couple of snags which were sorted quickly and easily. We went for two tone leather. We would recommend them.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We had a job done at A 1 Trimmers in Pontefract, they were a lot cheaper than others and did a really nice job there are details on Fun, I don't think they have a web site.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We used careavan for our other Motorhome. Now sold.
Though won't use them again for Pug.
We are booked in at Regal middle of May.
I was under the impression from previous posts On refurbishing , that they were good? Maybe a bit pricey.
We want a good quality finish, and as IH use regal , and their finished look is what we are aiming for , we thought why not.
We've bought our Own fabric, and will be having a leather trim.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
We used Regal for our Bessy 760 a few years back, and were disappointed with the finish, didn't listen to our requirement.

Have used CareAvan for our PVC recently and were well impressed with the service and banter.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've used Careavan twice now and they have been very good. We are booked in again to have new leather throughout our RV. We know they do a really good job, and down the line if anything is not as it should be they are quick to put things right. I'd always recommend them (y)

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We had a job done at A 1 Trimmers in Pontefract, they were a lot cheaper than others and did a really nice job there are details on Fun, I don't think they have a web site.View attachment 58759 View attachment 58759View attachment 58760
I agree great service and half the price of any others, don't expect a plush waiting room café etc, just a great job. Ref our Autotrail Fox, we had leather inserts at either side of the cab seats where all the wear takes place. Would not hesitate to use them again
Steve

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We've used Careavan twice now and they have been very good. We are booked in again to have new leather throughout our RV. We know they do a really good job, and down the line if anything is not as it should be they are quick to put things right. I'd always recommend them (y)

Was it them who did your Hymer Jim?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sooo.. To sum up .................................

All the well known upholsterers have been used by Funsters and all have been happy with the end results ..

Now that must be some sort of record !!

Thinking further,,,, that proly means as all are equal that it is worth getting quotes from a few and simply going with the best offer

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Thanks for your input people. We're going to Regal on Saturday for our first quote,(there nearest) Then we shall try a couple of others. Heard about A1 Trimmers too, they seem quite popular. Be interesting to see at what prices they all come up with. Will keep you posted(y)

Chris

OP
OP
Crispydoodle

Crispydoodle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Foster&Day Mercedes 208D
Exp
Since October 2013
Total job inc curtains ÂŁ2500 including the cab area. Then the vacuum pump failed on the way home, so may have to postpone until Mertle is roadworthy again :cry:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Sooo.. To sum up .................................

All the well known upholsterers have been used by Funsters and all have been happy with the end results ..

Now that must be some sort of record !!

Thinking further,,,, that proly means as all are equal that it is worth getting quotes from a few and simply going with the best offer

Were weren't, ( see earlier post )

Neil.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bad luck Neil :(
I feel your pain mate.. Every firm has the occasional aberration.. Sounds like it was your turn to be the victim :(
On the bright side, it is usually ME ( and my amazing luck !!!! :rolleyes: ) that ends up with the shitty end of the stick so at your expense good sir, I am just glad it was you and not me this time ( Sorry ;) )

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Were weren't, ( see earlier post )

Neil.
Neither were we, See previous post.
So that's why we are using Regal this time. :rofl:

I suppose sometimes your unlucky and it puts you off using the same company again. So you try another on Several recommendations, reading reports on various forums etc.
I would hate to think after all Ralphs hard work in Pug , that we wouldn't be happy with the upholstery, or service .
Pictures of the Regal experience will be posted on Ralphs R&B panel van conversion thread.
Regal do ih panel vans and that's the interior Furnished look we are aiming for.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
They used to do Timberlands and do Wildax,so if you get a chance,"Nosey" in one of those.
Tea Bag

Apr 23, 2015
berkshire
Funster No
MH
autocruise gleneagle
Exp
since 2005
Anyone used Premier for interior upholstery? Just speaking with them. But will also try Tappers....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've had a fantastic job done by Careavan twice now. Once when they transformed our old Hymer and last year when they did our RV. Take a look

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
image.jpeg
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

@aztecannie We were very pleased with our Regal experience. They got everything right first time . Gave us hints and tips for a better comfort experience , which we took .
We loved the fact they did the rb logo, as we wanted too, and the bump bars. Very professional service. Recommend to even the pickiest of people. Here's a link to Ralphs build with the regal trip and more photos on it..http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/page-21

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back