rb panel van conversion begins ! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
(y)Thanks
Forgot to say , the thetford c400 cassette toilette , has a massive tank on it. It lasts us 3 days ( heavy weekend on the real ale!)
Sometimes if we don't fill it, we ask other campers if they want a pee!! To make it worth emptying:rofl:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
[/QUOTE] Have you told the kids yet that you have blown their inheritance[/QUOTE]

I think they have a good idea already :D
If not they will do when we start doing winters in the sunshine :coolest::sun::coolest: :sun:;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Nice to read your final count up, I wonder how much a dealer would charge for a van of this quality.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
@Ralph-n-Bev . Hello , having seen your van at Missertern. It looks really great. I like most others on here are green with envy. We hope you have all the fun you deserve with it. Hope to see you again.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
@Ralph-n-Bev . Hello , having seen your van at Missertern. It looks really great. I like most others on here are green with envy. We hope you have all the fun you deserve with it. Hope to see you again.

Many Thanks @cruiser

Hopefully catch up at this years Misterton meet if you are going :drink: (y)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
@Ralph-n-Bev . I am sorry we are going to have to miss out on Misterton this year. We are going down to Bagwell. We are hoping to meet some friends down there.

GEOFFREY

Free Member
Feb 5, 2016
BOURNE LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1992
WOW!!! I only joined this site two days ago, and have spent most of that time reading this thread fromA-Z.
What you have achieved is just unbelieveable. Sooooooooooo very well done. Geoff.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
From your photos I see you haven't done a proper self build like I have, Mr Ralph...

Where are the bent over nails when the hammer slipped?

Where are the blanked off holes where you drilled in the wrong place?

Where are the lengths of wire dangling down for that piece of equipment you haven't got around to fitting yet?

Where are the gaps in the wood where you sawed a fraction too much off but couldn't be bothered to redo it?

And the worst sin of all... you seem to have finished it...

... everyone knows that a proper self build isn't ever finished until the day before you sell it.

JJ :cool:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
From your photos I see you haven't done a proper self build like I have, Mr Ralph...

Where are the lengths of wire dangling down for that piece of equipment you haven't got around to fitting yet?

Where are the gaps in the wood where you sawed a fraction too much off but couldn't be bothered to redo it?

... everyone knows that a proper self build isn't ever finished until the day before you sell it.

Ah but you aren't a bricky
A perfectionist
Don't have OCD
Nor do you have Bev watching every move

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

I must try harder next time JJ. (y)
But as Peter said , I had Bev as the building inspector. Watching my every move;)
Only got the carpet to do , and we were put onto someone very local last night . Thanks @Loulee (y)

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
I have been away from this truly excellent post for a very long time and I am now taking a long slow breath to recoup after reading the break down in costs.................. yipes, it must be nice to have a bottom less pit of dosh to lay your hands on!

The building of my 'Millie', including the cost of the base van (knocks and all) came to a grand total of £11,250 (excluding my labour costs), it is proving to work amazingly well for both of us and of course the 3 Springers.............. Furthermore, following the finishing of our build we have now had several requests to build similar vans for friends on new or very nearly new base vehicles all of which I have turned down as I am still exhausted from 6 months of hard labour.

This is in no way shape or form knocking you Ralph-n-Bev, but I honestly don't know of anyone spending that much money on a self build ever before.

All the best

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is in no way shape or form knocking you Ralph-n-Bev, but I honestly don't know of anyone spending that much money on a self build ever before.

All the best
... I bet not many self-builds are of such a high quality though.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I have been away from this truly excellent post for a very long time and I am now taking a long slow breath to recoup after reading the break down in costs.................. yipes, it must be nice to have a bottom less pit of dosh to lay your hands on!

The building of my 'Millie', including the cost of the base van (knocks and all) came to a grand total of £11,250 (excluding my labour costs), it is proving to work amazingly well for both of us and of course the 3 Springers.............. Furthermore, following the finishing of our build we have now had several requests to build similar vans for friends on new or very nearly new base vehicles all of which I have turned down as I am still exhausted from 6 months of hard labour.

All the best
obviously it was the right decision for ralph and bev getting the van they wanted at a price they could affford and the satisfaction of having done it their selves we all self build for our own reasons mine was financial as we couldnt afford a lez compliant deisel coach built or pvc. Ours wound up at around 16k if we didnt live in london i could have found plenty of older vans at that price 5 years ago

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
WOW!!! I only joined this site two days ago, and have spent most of that time reading this thread fromA-Z.
What you have achieved is just unbelieveable. Sooooooooooo very well done. Geoff.

I am coming back to this post @GEOFFREY because i read it and liked it in a bit of a hurry

So welcome to Fun Geoff :welcome3:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read our thread, and thank you for your kind comments (y)
If you ever get out rallying with the funsters look out for the PUG registration and pop in for a brew and a proper look (y)

Cheers.....Ralph

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp

All the best

Welcome back @Buzzy-Beans. We have in a way saved money on this self build as we were looking to originally to buy an IH Motorhome.
Its not that we had a bottomless pit of cash but do have income so just worked a little bit harder to get the quality we wanted (y)

Anyway its not about what it cost its about getting out there and enjoying the hobby.....We are all doing the same thing (y)
Glad you are out and enjoying Millie. You must feel proud if others asking you to do one like yours ;)

Happy Travels.....Ralph

Bongo

Free Member
Jan 29, 2016
Newtownabbey
Funster No
MH
T4, need a bigger bus.
Exp
Since 1991
have been away from this truly excellent post for a very long time and I am now taking a long slow breath to recoup after reading the break down in costs.................. yipes, it must be nice to have a bottom less pit of dosh to lay your hands on!

All the best[/QUOTE]

The final total is what it is. A brand new van ordered in the exact colour and specification required. Top quality materials, components and staggering attention to detail. I think the folks got exactly what they wanted, a stunning build.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cheers @Minxy Girl, We haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet but may catch up with you this year ;)

Ralph n Bev
I do hope so ... I'd really love to have a shuftie round your wonderful palace on wheels. :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... and of course meet the 'king and queen' too. :D

GEOFFREY

Free Member
Feb 5, 2016
BOURNE LINCOLNSHIRE
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1992
... I bet not many self-builds are of such a high quality though.

That is certainly by far the best selfbuild build log and build that I have ever seen. Yes, it was a lot of money, but so are most brand new MH's. R&B obviuosly knew what they wanted to end up with, and a bespoke conversion by a conversion company to that standard would have cost considereably more. I have converted several vehicles for myself and the only slight disadvantage that I can see is that the "dealers" hate them and only want to sell (or buy) propriortry makes. As R&B have no intension to sell their vehicle that is completely academic. I do however think that the obvious quality of their build would soon find a buyer if they wanted to sell. Well done again R&B, an absolutely fantastic achievement. Geoff.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
If we told you we'd have to kill you.;)

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
We always stay on the caravan club site, which is a sort walk into Hawes, we go there 2 times a year,so was just asking , never mind

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have seen it. And I would buy it. But I think I would have to kill to get it. Blast they are to nice.

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Ralph & Bev, have you had an agreed valuation for your insurance yet?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back