Motorhome Insurance for Croatia (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We are planning to go to Croatia in the summer just checked our insurance with the NFU they only cover the van for third party.

We are not sure if we should go now.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so have you been able to get insurance elsewhere just to cover for Croatia.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
I appreciate this is an old post and it looks like nobody was able to help. However, I am now experiencing the same problem with NFU. Has anybody taken out a top up policy with other insurers to cover the gap between the third party risk and fully comprehensive?

OP
OP
P
Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I appreciate this is an old post and it looks like nobody was able to help. However, I am now experiencing the same problem with NFU. Has anybody taken out a top up policy with other insurers to cover the gap between the third party risk and fully comprehensive?
Hi. we didn’t go to Croatia in the end as the NFU wouldn’t cover us so went to Slovenia instead, had a great trip.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Will NFU not do a top up policy ?
I'm suprised Croatia isn't covered being a fully paid up EU Member
It's fully covered on my AIB policy

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
We went to Croatia last May and as I’m with NFU so third party only😳😳 we only went to KRK and Pula so just inside border from Slovenia.
Rang them before we went away a few weeks back as we were heading down that way and might have strayed over the border, they still won’t cover Croatia despite them now being in the EU!!
It may change after a bit as we would like to go back but if I was heading down the bottom to Dubrovnik I would rather fully comp cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
Will NFU not do a top up policy ?
I'm suprised Croatia isn't covered being a fully paid up EU Member
It's fully covered on my AIB policy
No unfortunately not. A top up policy was my first question, but was told that NFU do not offer that!

Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
We went to Croatia last May and as I’m with NFU so third party only😳😳 we only went to KRK and Pula so just inside border from Slovenia.
Rang them before we went away a few weeks back as we were heading down that way and might have strayed over the border, they still won’t cover Croatia despite them now being in the EU!!
It may change after a bit as we would like to go back but if I was heading down the bottom to Dubrovnik I would rather fully comp cover.
I know loads of people that have been to Croatia and rave about how good it is, so was keen to go. The chances are that nothing catastrophic would happen, but I am still pretty uncomfortable with Third Party only insurance.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
but I am still pretty uncomfortable with Third Party only insurance.
It depends if you can afford to lose everything. We couldnt. Our van is a big investment. Yes the risk is low, but it's far from impossible. It could be stolen. That would be the end of it. I wouldn't be uncomfortable, I wouldn't be in that position in the first place. Croatia is nice, but not that nice.

There is a reason why insurance companies dont cover certain countries. That's is because they know that in the event of an accident they would have little chance of recovering their loss, regardless of blame.

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
A few years
We’ve just toured the Balkans, mostly third party, and all was fine. I’ve also heard that Saga do fully comp.

However, the small amount of Croatia we saw didn’t impress me - expensive, massive sites on the coast at least. Bosnia and Albania were much better if you prefer small, friendly sites or wild camping.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We’ve just toured the Balkans, mostly third party, and all was fine. I’ve also heard that Saga do fully comp.

However, the small amount of Croatia we saw didn’t impress me - expensive, massive sites on the coast at least. Bosnia and Albania were much better if you prefer small, friendly sites or wild camping.
Croatia does have some mega sites but there are also lots of small friendly sites, mostly on the coast.
It's definitely a country not to be missed in my view.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We've only been to Croatia sailing but really like it. I can't understand with it being an EU country and part of the eurozone now why some insurers don't cover it. Our visit last year was the first for over 10 years the infrastructure development is really impressive lots of new cars too our lift to the airport was in a Tesla. They must have proper insurance there now.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Third party insurance used to be fire and theft also so presumably still is?
There were 3 levels of insurance. Third party only,third party fire and theft, and fully comprehensive. I often when younger had tpft as it was quite a bit cheaper but a while ago it seemed to dissapear and fully comprehensive was a similar price probably because the majority of big claims were personal injury.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
With my policy it's just green card. Minimum legal requirement. No fore. No theft.
Third party insurance used to be fire and theft also so presumably still is?

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Fully comp with Caravan Guard in May, just automatically on the policy.
Getting very popular, especially with Germans, Swiss and Austrians hence very busy. Introduction of the Euro seems to have driven a big price hike since. The bit of road from Trieste into Croatia (Koper) is a traffic nightmare.

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Yes, we switched from the NFU too, now with Caravan Guard, they offer extra cover for Montenegro & Albania so handy to run down that side of the Adriatic.

Jan 17, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Phoenix 8800
Exp
Since 2004
NFU wouldn't quote for our van. They said it was too high a value. We were covered fully comprehensive by Comfort when we visited Croatia in the van during lockdown. Currently sailing in Croatia which is possibly the best way to see the country.

Aug 30, 2021
Norfolk,
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
Since 2014
We have been to Croatia twice, 2018 & last year, insurance with CAMC (which is AXA) not the cheapest but fully covered.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Safeguard cover it but I have to say I wasn't thar impressed with Croatia, dubrovnik was nice but a nightmare to park , I'm not sure I'd rush back. I wish I'd spent more time in Slovenia instead. Montenegro is lovely but hard to get insurance for it too.

Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks for all the comments folks. Changing insurer at this stage isnt really an option for me as only a handful of companies will cover Morelo, Concord, Phoenix and the like due to their high values. I will consider it at renewal and see if I can get more extensive cover, but it sounds like independent 'trip specific' top up policies are not readily available.

On the back of this we have replanned the forthcoming trip to give Croatia a miss this time. We only did four days in Slovenia last year and were impressed, so a bit more to explore there and back in to Austria and Germany I think.

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Thanks for all the comments folks. Changing insurer at this stage isnt really an option for me as only a handful of companies will cover Morelo, Concord, Phoenix and the like due to their high values. I will consider it at renewal and see if I can get more extensive cover, but it sounds like independent 'trip specific' top up policies are not readily available.

On the back of this we have replanned the forthcoming trip to give Croatia a miss this time. We only did four days in Slovenia last year and were impressed, so a bit more to explore there and back in to Austria and Germany I think.
That's a shame.... Caravan Guard are very good to speak to & worth a try, high value needs an approved alarm or tracker.

Dec 3, 2021
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace 90M
Exp
Since 2020
That's a shame.... Caravan Guard are very good to speak to & worth a try, high value needs an approved alarm or tracker.
I tried Caravan Guard in 2021 when I had my Hymer (with Phantom tracker/immobilser) and they declined to quote based on the value. As such, I didnt bother calling when I changed to the Morelo but might give them a call again next time. All insurers blow hot and cold on different makes, models and values so maybe they will be more receptive if I try again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back