Motorhome heating on all night, off grid ? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
NEWBIE Question
I plan to take Dollie, out all through the Winter, and might even think about wild camping, can you have your heating on all night from the gas bottle, or do you need the electric, to circulate the air, or does this come off the auxilary battery to keep you warm off site please.
Yes as i said pretty naive here hahah

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What is the heater?
Normally heaters can be run overnight as they are room sealed but if your van is cabable of it depends on type of heater, size of battery bank and size of gas bottles.

We never use heating overnight but I have been know to get out of bed to turn the heating on at 5 am when it's dropped well below zero outside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
All vans are different so really need to see the kit you have. My old van had a heater that only needed gas to heat. Trouble was it didn't really work well enough so had an option fitted to blow the hot air around the van. This uses electricity from your leisure battery.

A basic set up should provide enough power to use this for a night or 2.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
What is the heater?
Normally heaters can be run overnight as they are room sealed but if your van is cabable of it depends on type of heater, size of battery bank and size of gas bottles.

We never use heating overnighet but have been know to get out of bed to turn the heating on at 5 am when it's dropped well below zero outside.
trauma, heating gas electric and battery etc is the heater

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
We have often left our heating on overnight on the lowest gas setting, no blower, just to take the chill off.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
We have often left our heating on overnight on the lowest gas setting, no blower, just to take the chill off.
We do the same . Don’t intend using electric hook up again unless we have to . No need to use the blower, ok the toilet and shower room will be colder but as you say the lowest setting just to keep the cold out 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
In our older can we had a combination ,electric/ gas convector type heater.used to leave it on the lowest gas setting at night, I dont think it used any 12v. Except for the pizo starter. Your van may haveca similar heater ifcits 21 years old.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
mmm, shes in storage at present, so not too sure about all the above questions, so sorry, a bit of a lady (NOt an Engineer) with an old lady driving really
I thought you were a youngster still in your 60's. :giggle:

A Combi just has blow air heating outlets, might help if you tell us what the van is.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
might help if you tell us what the van is.

As per the opening post. (y)

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Having had many vans and caravans that we have lived in through numerous U.K. winters , you can keep the all singing all dancing blown air Truma combination and your Alde wet systems,
By far the best is the old style gas fire 🔥
Just leaving it ticking over pretty much all the time and never using the battery sapping blown air is by far the best heating system we’ve ever had.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
As per the opening post. (y)

You trying to catch me out, that's on a different thread also not in her profile.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Having had many vans and caravans that we have lived in through numerous U.K. winters , you can keep the all singing all dancing blown air Truma combination and your Alde wet systems,
By far the best is the old style gas fire 🔥
Just leaving it ticking over pretty much all the time and never using the battery sapping blown air is by far the best heating system we’ve ever had.
sadly it doesnt have a gas heater fitted in the van

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Trauma combi system fitted in my PVC. This blows warm air through ducts with outlets in the rear lounge, shower/wc and front age of the van. It's served from a 25l underslung LPG tank and powered by the 12V battery for the fan and ignitions. It can also run off mains electric if on EHU. Overnight I frequently leave it set to come on if temp drops to say 15C. Seems very efficient and not a problem against battery or LPG use.

In cooler weather a good external windscreen cover that also extends over the front vent grilles makes a lot of difference to the inside comfort levels.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Dollie, is a 21 year old Peuogot 2 seater boxer stardream vehicle
Looks like its a Combi, on the lowest setting will draw a bit over 1 amp but getting the van up to temperature will use 5 or 6 amps. You will be OK for a couple of nights providing you have two batteries in good condition.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
thats brilliant thank yo for that tip. i suspect one or 2 night wild camping, driving for a bit, to top up the batteries, will be fine then. but is it SAFE to keep the gas running all night . I hate being cold

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
thats brilliant thank yo for that tip. i suspect one or 2 night wild camping, driving for a bit, to top up the batteries, will be fine then. but is it SAFE to keep the gas running all night . I hate being cold
Yes fine keeping the gas on.
Unless you are driving a long distance you won't get much charge into the batteries.
e.g. If you used 50ah from the batteries it would probably need to 7 to 10 hours driving to recharge them.
You can improve this a lot by fitting a B2B (battery to battery charger).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sweet caroline
Dec 8, 2022
bury st edmunds
Funster No
MH
Boxer Peugot 2001
Exp
Make sure your MH has a working carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarm.

Even if you sleep with doors and stuff locked be sure the exit route is clear of obstruction and you know how to unlock even if you are a bit sleepy.
yes ive installed all th above thanks

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Our van is an old one too, can I suggest that on your first outing you book a site with electric then you can use a small oiled filled radiator. Your certainly finding the benefit of this forum with all the advice your getting.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We never have heating on overnight and I feel the cold terribly, I have 2 duvets (different togs), flannelette sheets and a throw for good measure, only really need the lot if it's very cold. I wear a hoodie to bed in addition to my PJs, this means I can put the hood up which really helps to keep me warm. Hot water bottles are good to take the chill off and a couple of warm dogs too!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back