Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Hi, been away for a while...

Well done with your efforts at Berlin Gerry.

Since getting home I was just in time to do the GNR, first time for me, no rush to go back but really enjoyed the day. I'd flown from Venezuela on the Thursday and had just managed two short road runs before the Sunday. Still jet lagged as well so that did not help. Came in a shade over 90 minutes.

Paul, I completely forgot that you were doing Chester yesterday...I was there too. Apologies for not meeting up. Yes, it was pretty warm eh? Really enjoyed the event though, terrific venue and well organised. Loads of water/gels etc, enthusiastic support through the villages.
I was going along nicely up to 20 miles, pretty steady 6:40 - 6:50 pace. Then the cramp hit and I was reduced to a jog. Still, managed a sprint finish at the end with a respectable time of 3 hrs 8 min 20 secs. 180th position, 8th 50V.::bigsmile: Feeling a bit sore today...:Sad:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi, been away for a while...

Well done with your efforts at Berlin Gerry.

Since getting home I was just in time to do the GNR, first time for me, no rush to go back but really enjoyed the day. I'd flown from Venezuela on the Thursday and had just managed two short road runs before the Sunday. Still jet lagged as well so that did not help. Came in a shade over 90 minutes.

Paul, I completely forgot that you were doing Chester yesterday...I was there too. Apologies for not meeting up. Yes, it was pretty warm eh? Really enjoyed the event though, terrific venue and well organised. Loads of water/gels etc, enthusiastic support through the villages.
I was going along nicely up to 20 miles, pretty steady 6:40 - 6:50 pace. Then the cramp hit and I was reduced to a jog. Still, managed a sprint finish at the end with a respectable time of 3 hrs 8 min 20 secs. 180th position, 8th 50V.::bigsmile: Feeling a bit sore today...:Sad:

great effort des and a great place. 180th well done, and 8th Vet :notworthy:

good job we didn't arrange to meet up after, you would of been showered dressed and half way back up the M6 before I came home :roflmto:

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
I probably was Paul, we had to get home for something else so did not hang around for too long after.:thumb: I must get back to Chester for a day visit in the van, not been in years. The car park just before the archway at the end was full of motorhomers...:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well marathon number 11 of the year done and dusted... 105 laps of a running track, boring and tough as nails...new PB though by 2 mins and 20mins faster than last year :Smile:

2 more to go this year to complete my epic challenge of 13 in the year 13:Cool:

However I've left the hardest two till last, the goathland Hardmoors ultra and then the hell of a hill marathon:Blush:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Paul as I have said before that must have been some mental challenge there again you should be ok as your a bit mental :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I like the 13 marathons in the year 13 I bet your glad you didn't take up running in the 90s :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On a serious note really well done and hope the last two go ok, I am waiting to find out if I have a club place for London (should find out this week) if not i am planning on doing my first ultra in March.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Well done Paul. I couldn't run round a track for that long, would go nuts.... Oh but you already are:ROFLMAO:

How do you keep count of the laps or do the organisers do this for you?

Life has taken over my running time at the moment, lucky if I get 2 five milers in a week. :cry:

Good luck for the next 2 runs.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well just completed the toughest to date. The Hardmoors ultra, 29 miles of pure bliss running through the North Yorkshire moors around by Goathland and fylingdales.

Got lost, and went an hour out of my way,

Freezing cold , wet feet , wet through, but stayed with it to the end....

Next up, the hell of a hill marathon before my final one for the year, the Roseberry Topping.

Then its Anglessey ultra before attempting a 55 miler in the hardmoors series. I have gone completely mad, I need to section myself. :roflmto:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have to agree Paul you have went mad or should that be slightly more mad :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

If you need anyone to sign your section form let me know :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sousa

Free Member
Nov 10, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Motorhomeless at mo
Exp
since 2005
Spent an interesting half hour reading through this thread, brought back lots of memories especially haganaps endevours. I too became involved (obsessed?) in long distance stuff - after progressing from road - track - cross country and fell running.
It takes its toll in the end though.... dodgy knee put an end to my serious running exploits (just in time, relatively pain free these days) so stick mainly to cycling these days, though I still can't resist the odd jog now and again.

Still like the odd challenge so this year me and my son did the coast to coast bike ride - Whitehaven to Sunderland to celebrate my 60th birthday. Managed the 145 miles in 10 hours 45 mins, excellent day out with our wives supporting us.

My main achievements - long distance running wise were a couple of LDWA 100 mile events (for walkers but quite a few runners do them), 4 fellsman hikes (ditto), the Bob Graham round (21 hours 11 mins.) and the Pennine way which I ran back in 1997 for Kidney patients raising £7000 + (7 days).

Keep up the good work one and all, I shall follow your exploits with interest.
Steve.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well today I return from running the UKs toughest marathon......

And yes it was tough, a hilly marathon, some people were doing the 5 in 5 challenge which equated to 5 marathons in 5 days totalling the same ascent as climbing Everest.

I only done the 1, awesome challenge off road, over Rivington pike, legs hurt a little but my feet are cut to shreds due to the terrain.

I finished and got a great medal. This morning I I walked a lap of the course with Nikki Tara Mike and carol and heide (drago65) taking them on a one lap walk of the course, they really liked it:Blush:

1 more to go for my 13 in 13....roseberry topping in 2 weeks....hope the feet recover, :thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Congratulations and well done Paul.:thumb:
I bet you wish that you got a mug instead of a medal.:ROFLMAO:

Brisey & Pamelaaar.

lavalamp

Free Member
Nov 24, 2012
Central London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Well, looks like we now have a running club. :roflmto:

Got a PM from Gerry Hughes asking if I was doing the Liverpool Half marathon in a couple weeks and I wasn't. Didn't take much persuading though and I'm now in.

Gerry is off doing a Marathon later this year so good luck with that, I on the other hand are doing my first international marathon The Medoc in France in full fancy dress and with all water stops replaced by wine. :RollEyes:

Any other runners joining me and Gerry this year.

Or is it "just the two of us":Cool:

Hi Haganap, HNY, I am runner as well and a skier, haven't seen you on motorhome ski lately, any plans to ski in 2014. :Smile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi lavalamp

Nice to see another runner on the site, do a little myself but more a plodder than a runner.

Happy new year to all runners hope you achieve more PB's this year and stay injury free.

Gerry

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Hi Haganap, HNY, I am runner as well and a skier, haven't seen you on motorhome ski lately, any plans to ski in 2014. :Smile:

Yeah, ive been checking in over there,

We are off to Grand Bornand this year for the luxury of a site and a swimming pool :Smile:

lavalamp

Free Member
Nov 24, 2012
Central London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Yeah, ive been checking in over there,

We are off to Grand Bornand this year for the luxury of a site and a swimming pool :Smile:

I visited LGB 2012, my post in motorhome ski details the trip. L'Escale is a great place to stay as I'm sure you know, I highly recommend this ski destination to all. I also visited Meribel during that same trip and stayed at Link Removed which I also rate highly.
Still deciding what and where to go myself .

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I visited LGB 2012, my post in motorhome ski details the trip. L'Escale is a great place to stay as I'm sure you know, I highly recommend this ski destination to all. I also visited Meribel during that same trip and stayed at Link Removed which I also rate highly.
Still deciding what and where to go myself .

Yeah we are looking forward to it too, slightly worried about the skiing being a little restricted so only booking for 4 nights before moving off to Val throrens where we have been the last 4 years,,, such great skiing and fun but not very nice parking...

Having said that though, just back from a monster 27 mile training run along the very muddy sandstone trail knacked out now, can't think about skiing today :Eeek:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ouch, the toughest race I have verse done, they just get tougher, strong winds, torrential rain and more hillier than a hill race...but ultra marathon 1 of January and 1 of 14 in 14 completed. :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Paul i did 12 miles round our local forest this morning and thought that was tough, a couple of the guys running with me are doing the lakeland 50 and the west highland way which is just under 100 miles. I think when i say they are off their head i can safely include you in that. :ROFLMAO:

Well done enjoy a cold beer you deserve it.

lavalamp

Free Member
Nov 24, 2012
Central London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Ouch, the toughest race I have verse done, they just get tougher, strong winds, torrential rain and more hillier than a hill race...but ultra marathon 1 of January and 1 of 14 in 14 completed. :thumb:

Congrats indeed, i only managed a 10 mile loop around Regents and Hyde Park on Sunday, enjoyable in the winter sunshine.

I collect my new Hymer hopefully this week and may make a dash for the slopes. What are your dates for LGB if you don't mind me asking. I was thinking off LGB + Le Martagon or La Saisses looks interesting according to motorhome ski.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Congrats indeed, i only managed a 10 mile loop around Regents and Hyde Park on Sunday, enjoyable in the winter sunshine.

I collect my new Hymer hopefully this week and may make a dash for the slopes. What are your dates for LGB if you don't mind me asking. I was thinking off LGB + Le Martagon or La Saisses looks interesting according to motorhome ski.

we are heading to GB on the 13th arriving 14th.... We are booked in for 5 nights so wioll assess the conditions and suitabilty before deciding whether to stay or go on to VT.

We have skied le saises, quite nice up there but a busy aire. Hope theres a little more snow coming the way of GB, cant wait now,,, going to get all the ski kit out at the weekend see what still fits and what needs replacing, Im after some snow blades to take with me too. :thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well, big day tomorrow

Millenium ultra and a very early start.

3 big ones this month.

MIllenium ultra 38 miles tomorrow is the first, this is followed by the Bolton hill marathon next weekend and then the big one.

The Hardmoors 55 miler....

So it's sleep for me and an early rise.:Eeek:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ouch that hurt is all I have to say about that. Wrong shoe choice led to blisters from mile 14 to 38.. :cry:

Toenails gone but still in one peice....just.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi everyone how's the running going as not heard much from you lot lately.

As some of you might be aware I'm training for the London marathon and training has been going not to bad with just a couple of set backs, missed about 10days training due to severe manflu. Then this week Sophie has been ill thankfully Lorraine has been off so still managed a few runs.

Went out this morning the back of 7 for a 20miler and deliberately picked a hilly route, first 8M was horrendous running in to a head wind with sleet and rain showers after that it got quite nice to late I'm soaked :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Hope all the training is going well for you guys, here's a wee link to my run if your interested.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/457653302

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Nice fast work Gerry,.

Ive been teaching myself to run Slowly, sounds daft but has to be done.

Ran the Bolton Hill Marathon on the Saturday and marshalled on the Sunday. Actually met another camper with a Hymer from Glasgow who wild camped with me and another funster.

Good race but really tough. So it's just the big one for me on the 22nd. The 55 mile ultra. :Eeek:

sadly Im really excited.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi everyone how's the running going as not heard much from you lot lately.

As some of you might be aware I'm training for the London marathon and training has been going not to bad with just a couple of set backs, missed about 10days training due to severe manflu. Then this week Sophie has been ill thankfully Lorraine has been off so still managed a few runs.

Went out this morning the back of 7 for a 20miler and deliberately picked a hilly route, first 8M was horrendous running in to a head wind with sleet and rain showers after that it got quite nice to late I'm soaked :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Hope all the training is going well for you guys, here's a wee link to my run if your interested.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/457653302

that's some pretty impressive splits Gerry, very consistent! Good stuff

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I know what you mean about the running slowly its sometimes harder to slow down than just run, a few members of Dumfries Harriers are doing the west highland way race 100mile so I have been training with them round the forest this has really helped me as its tough going round trails.

They are trying to talk me into doing an ultra, although I'd love to I don't know if I would have the time to train.

Good luck with your wee run

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
that's some pretty impressive splits Gerry, very consistent! Good stuff

Cheers Sandra it was tough going for the first 8 mile due to uphill and strong head wind, with the odd scottish shower. Went for a nice 6 mile recovery run this afternoon and what a difference a day makes glorious sunshine and running in shorts and tee shirt.

I think Mo will be getting worried now, I mean Farah nt old Mo :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I know what you mean about the running slowly its sometimes harder to slow down than just run, a few members of Dumfries Harriers are doing the west highland way race 100mile so I have been training with them round the forest this has really helped me as its tough going round trails.

They are trying to talk me into doing an ultra, although I'd love to I don't know if I would have the time to train.

Good luck with your wee run

If you need a coach to help you run slowly, I'm your man...... Errr women! I run very slow! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back