Motorhome Fun Running Club (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've done Glen Ogle a couple of times. First time, glorious wintery sunshine, mist hanging in the valleys. Beautiful. Last time, rain & wind. ;-) Begining of November is always a bit dodgy.

The course is more tarmac (cycle path & road) than trail but pleasant nonetheless. Lots of post-race drinking usually. Have fun. Bill & Mike, the organisers, are great guys.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I've done Glen Ogle a couple of times. First time, glorious wintery sunshine, mist hanging in the valleys. Beautiful. Last time, rain & wind. ;-) Begining of November is always a bit dodgy.

The course is more tarmac (cycle path & road) than trail but pleasant nonetheless. Lots of post-race drinking usually. Have fun. Bill & Mike, the organisers, are great guys.
Hi Tim, a couple of the guys from the running club have done it and have said the same as you weather wise, I have been warned about the post race party so have booked the campsite for an extra night just incase. In a funny way I'm looking forward to running further as there seems to be less pressure on time more about finishing.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
"Raced the Train" last Saturday, and lost. Real fun event at Towyn in West Wales. 14 miles trail run, there and back course up and down the valley, racing against the narrow gauge steam engine, packed with spectators. The train did it in 1hr 47mins against myself in 1 hr 51mins. Just have to try again next year...
The next "big one" for me is next years VLM, managed to bag a "good for age" entry.
Gruelling schedule there Paul, good luck with the Ultra Gerry, marathon distance is quite far enough for my legs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
"Raced the Train" last Saturday, and lost. Real fun event at Towyn in West Wales. 14 miles trail run, there and back course up and down the valley, racing against the narrow gauge steam engine, packed with spectators. The train did it in 1hr 47mins against myself in 1 hr 51mins. Just have to try again next year...
The next "big one" for me is next years VLM, managed to bag a "good for age" entry.
Gruelling schedule there Paul, good luck with the Ultra Gerry, marathon distance is quite far enough for my legs.
Desres just noticed your reply, a few folk from the club mentioned the race the train one. I was balloted out of VLM for 2015 but managed to wangle a place anyway, was going to say see you there but I doubt it at your speed :)
Paul how's your busy running schedule and did you get a VLM place for next year.
I eventually bought the OMM at the end of August and it hasn't rained on a long run yet so never tried it.
Hope everyone's training is going to plan I have one more longish run this week then taper time for Glen Ogle, went and did a 23m recce run last weekend with a 10mile run the following morning so have just about run the whole course

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
No as per usual didn't get a vlm place but entered paris instead to console myself. Although I could still get a place in the club ballot but doubt it.

I've got the RR 50 on Saturday 50 miles around Rotherham..followed a week later by the Snowdonia marathon.

Then a couple of trail marathons to finish the year off and the 38 mile tour de helvellyn and a run as far as you can in 12 hours on the 28th 12....I'm hoping to hit my 50th marathon at some point next year injury and health permitting

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Shame about London Paul but nice to see your putting your feet up :) That's some schedule hope all goes well.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well did my first ultra yesterday the Glen Ogle 33, after a week of bad weather and having to change the start and finish 2 days before the race I still really enjoyed it. Originally we had booked the campsite where the race would start and finish until it flooded.
Anyway it turned out just about a perfect day for it, found the hills really tough and managed an unofficial time of 5:15 so quite chuffed as was just looking for under 6 hours.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
That's great gerry and a brilliant time....I've never done a 30 in under 6.

I've got a place for London btw.... got the club ballot place so dead please.....

Have picked up an injury to my hip following a 50 miler and then the Snowdonia marathon which was longer in time than your ultra.....

Got 2 Marras in 4 weeks now before the tour de helvellyn

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Good news about London Paul not so good about your hip, just make sure you take plenty of rest better to miss the odd run than end up missing months.
I know you will know London better than me but we found Abbey Woods to be a perfect base with easy access to start.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Won't be in the van Gerry.

This is London....I'll be stopping with family :)

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Well, just finished a wonderful series of running..... After the 50 mile round rothereham I done the snowdonia marathon followed by a weeks break before the Goathland Marathon and this weekend the Hell Of a Hill marathon 6000ft of accent. Now I am totally knacked and have a few weeks off before I attempt the Helvellyn 38 mile Ultra. Amazed to see so many campers at these events but no members on here?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
How can you be knackered you've hardly done anything :)
Well done Paul amazing mileage you've put in this year would be interested to know. When I ran the Glen Ogle ultra a few weeks ago over 10 Motorhomes turned up and no funsters, would love to join you on one of your jaunts just a bit far for the weekend. Only excuse I can think of, I am hoping to do a few shorter races before London to try and work on my speed see if I can knock a few mins off my PB.
Enjoy your rest .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not been much activity in here lately guys hope it's due to all the hard training, so for everyone who's doing London how's the training going. Not that I've ever been called fast but have been doing some speed work to see if I can knock a minute or two off my PB, did 10x400meters last night and the legs don't half hurt today going for an 18 miler tomorrow will be doing it nice and slow so hopefully will be fine although it's forcast for rain.
Keep up the good work and see you at the start.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
been busy recovering from two terrible injuries, first my left ankle and then just back up to 20 + miles in Jan and then bang my right, Im back to distance training now and have an Ultra on Sunday in Osmotherly... hoping to just get round :notworthy:

stevetracey

Free Member
Nov 11, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie November 2014
Hi all

Been reading with interest how you are all doing.

I need some advice.
Doing the Brighton Marathon on 12th April and I have previously done some half marathons and 10k's.
I am following a plan and running around 40 miles a week with my last long run has increased to 19 miles(most I have ever done). Felt quite good. My problem is when I do speed training my achilles gets quite sore for a few days after. I do alot of calf and leg exercises and to help take the pain away I put my ankle/foot in an ice bath. After 3 days it's fine again. Thinking I should stay away from any speed work as I don't want to risk having to pull out of the marathon.
Is it beneficial to do speed work? I'm not after going for any time, just like to finish as its my 1st.
Any exercises that could help strengthen the achilles, I do a lot of toes raises and dips.
Thanks and keep on running

Steve

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hope the ultra goes ok Paul just just take it easy if there's such a thing and make sure you finish with no injuries.

Steve, not that I'm a greatly experienced runner so take what I say as a pinch of salt. If your just planning on getting round as comfortable as possible then I'd concentrate more on long runs and tempo runs and maybe just forget the speed sessions as they could end up injuring you.
The first couple of marathons I did I never done any speed work just tried to get the miles in, also when training for my first couple we stayed in our old house and had a bath (shower only here) I would have an ice bath after every run over 15mile and what a difference it made, or you could just try a foam roller sore for the first few goes then you blank out the pain
For my last couple of marathons I have added hill work to my training and wow what a difference that has made, find a hill about 1/4 mile long sprint up and slow down and add one rep a week until you get to 10.
You can use the runner world pace calculator it's free if you put in your target time it will tell you what speed all your runs should be done at.
Good luck Steve keep us updated.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Hi Steve. My personal opinion would be to have a rest and reduce your milage.... If your goal is to finish then just get yourself marathon fit and at 40 miles per week you will suprise yourself Come race day..

If you really want to fly in the face of adversity and get a time then keep with the plan but this is likely to end up with an injury

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not much activity on here lately hope that's all down to you lot being to busy with your running.

Just a little update from me did a local 12.3M race today the Glenkiln loop a very undulating course but pleased with my time of 1:36:05, after the race I ran the 8.5m home so managed a long training run in with a race.

Hope all your trainings going good.
@stevetracey hows the marathon training going.

stevetracey

Free Member
Nov 11, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi all

Great running lorger.

Training isn't going too bad, few niggles but nothing serious. 19 miles on Saturday 2 hours 42. So pretty pleased with that. Last two and half miLes up hill.
Only just under 4 weeks to go now!!!!

Keep on running (y)

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Steve that's really good running sub 4 no problem, hope the next 4 weeks go as good and good luck with the marathon.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Good luck tomorrow to @haganap whos running Paris marathon and to @stevetracey whos running Brighton marathon.

Hope it all goes well guys and you have great races, personally I am having to make one of my toughest decisions yet as I'm having to defer my London space to next year.

I have done very little running since the 22/3 due to an injury, I have been attending physio and sports therapy in the hope I'd still make it. I have been keeping my fitness up with X training (2 hours on that is mind numbing) to day went for an 8 mile run and pain is worse now sitting with ice and trying to convince myself to defer.

stevetracey

Free Member
Nov 11, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks lorger, bit nervous this morning but the weather is holding. Hope your injury gets better soon.

Good luck anyone else who is running

Cheers Steve

stevetracey

Free Member
Nov 11, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It went ok thank you.
Managed to finish in 4 hours 12 min 07 sec.
Did struggle on the last 3 miles, but managed to sprint to the finish line. Really enjoyed it, but knackered.
Doing the Plymouth half on Sunday.
So far raised £352.
Thanks everyone

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Interesting thread this, been a runner for 42 years, got myself another injury two weeks ago, a torn calf muscle so I was not happy to be on new running territory at the Garstang meet last weekend and unable to run.

My days of personal PB's are over naturally but just have to try for age bests when I am out again.

Keep on running (y)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Never seen this thread before. It have got so much inspiration from reading it. I started running end of last year and got a 0-5k app which I loved. Was doing 3/4 5-6k per week but due to family, work, etc getting in the way have hardly run in the past 4 weeks. Amazing how a few pounds creeps on and our lethargic and unhealthy I felt so went out yesterday and ran/walked 6k and loved it. So I've set myself a challenge 30 and am going to run every day for 30 days. If it gets too much I'll power walk for a day. Went out today and did another 6k. Would love to be good enough to do the London marathon ... Maybe next year.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Allan, or Loren, easiest way to get injured is to set yourself a challenge like that and then run through the first signs of a injury because you have to, set myself a challenge etc etc.

If you like running you want to be running for ever so you don't need a thirty day challenge as you have the whole of the rest of your life ahead, how many days is that, more than thirty.

If you need a rest day my advice would be to have it AND DON'T FEEL GUILTY.

May meet up for a run sometime, assuming you will wait for me, take care.

Norman. :imoutahere:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It went ok thank you.
Managed to finish in 4 hours 12 min 07 sec.
Did struggle on the last 3 miles, but managed to sprint to the finish line. Really enjoyed it, but knackered.
Doing the Plymouth half on Sunday.
So far raised £352.
Thanks everyone
Well done Steve you will be more than happy with that time for your first marathon, my first was also 4:12:51 and if it hadn't been for this stupid injury I was training for a sub 3:40 at London. Those last few miles are the killers I was once told a marathon is a 20mile warm up with a 6.2 miles race lol
Take it easy next Sunday and well done with the fund raising.
Had my final visit to Physio last night and he has recommended I rest it for a few weeks and defer my place fore next year, I was going to try a last ditch attempt this week to see how it goes although Lorraine has warned me I better not ruin our holiday as we fly to states after marathon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back