Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Rant - H&S again

Our son eventually did the Sheffield Half Marathon this morning. I say eventually because it was delayed by almost 45 minutes due to the supplier of the water for the drinks station either not turning up or having too little water. The H&S wallahs wanted to abandon it altogether but the runners had other ideas and set off on the understanding that the organisors could not be held responsible for anyone suffering from de-hydration. Can you imagine the chaos that would have ensued had they not gone with several thousand runners having collected a substantial amouint of money for charity and tens of thousands of spectators throughout the city waiting expectantly for them. It wasn't a warm day, being overcast with light rain. And the BBC even reported on it's main radio 2 news that it had been abandoned and that police had put up road blocks to stop the runners. There were no incidents and everyone seemed to have a great time.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes I heard on the news that it had been cancelled and the Police tried to stop runners, just shows you they report what they want. Hope he did ok in the race.

3 years ago at the Edinburgh marathon they put out water supplies the night before. At mile 19 which is in a country estate and they didn't realise until the race had started that some one had stole it, I can't remember the exact number but I'm sure it was so etching like 8 pallets. So they now put security on that station at night :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Sheffield Marathon, What an absolute disgrace.

Glad I wasn't down to do that one :roflmto:

Done mine yesterday, The 3 shires Marathon in the tough Peak district, over the roaches, shuttlingslow etc etc.....

Came back 1hr and 9 mins quicker than last year.... now thats an improvement.

Nothing for 3 weeks now.

Good luck Gerry with London :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
What a day I've just had absolutely brilliant atmosphere doing the London marathon.
To the race it's self I had set myself a target of under 3-45 with half an eye on 3-40. My pb is 3.52, so off I set at 3.40 ish pace felt really strong going through 6& 10 mile marks. By half way I was only seconds of my half marathon pb of 1.49 52 and still feeling strong although stvrting to get really hot anyway through 18 and still good with 6m to go a 3.40 could be on I fall ok. Still feeling strong through 20@21 although heat starting to really warm up. Got to 24 and started to get cramp in left leg. I was deferment no to stop and struggled on to finish in 3.44.02 so pleased and so sore :ROFLMAO:
I'm now back at the van with sunburn but don't worry I'm cooling it with my cold magners

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Great work gerry great time too. ... Think I'm going to get me one of those new hips:ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Great work gerry great time too. ... Think I'm going to get me one of those new hips:ROFLMAO:

Thanks Paul. I can give you the surgeon name if you want.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Managed a nice marathon at Stratford today, met up with 3 other Motorhomers running today, nice race :thumb: and we had all the celebrations from Shakespeare's 450th birthday all weekend :Angry:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Paul hope you had a good run, I have my next in 4 weeks and looking for some others to do.

I have also entered the London ballot for next year what about you.

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
l rather stupidly entered the Total Warrior when l was sober now trying to get fit for it. Is on Aug 2 this yr in the lake district.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
The pitfalls of running....

Had to happen sooner or later, but took a tumble in the Peak district leadenboots marathon on Sunday,.... only 2 miles in and running uphill. GRRRRR

Still good news is, No break and should be fit in a couple of days for Sunday's marathon, fingers crossed...

Attachments

• for fun ankle.jpg
    for fun ankle.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 21

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Paul may I ask you if you saw that foot in A and E would you tell them it was ok to go running on it straight away?

Then why do you think you do not need to RICE ?
sometimes you need to rest when your hurt and now would be a good time :Eeek: Think before you run and BE SURE your not superman you know:ROFLMAO:
I bet SWMBO says see I told you when she reads this::bigsmile:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
looks worse than it is JH, now the swelling is subsiding. Will see how it is on Wednesday before making a final decision...

Was nice to pull a few strings and avoid the wait in A&E though, :winky:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Paul that looks sore, are you sure you'll be up for a marathon this Sunday.
I'm know expert but a wee bit of rest now might save you months off later, take care and put your feet up for once.

I have Edinburgh marathon on Sunday and thinking of doing my first ultra in November feel free to join me if you fancy it. It comes highly recommended.
http://www.go33ultra.com/

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Paul, if it isn't HUNDRED PERCENT BETTER, don't be daft ... don't run on it .... there are lots more runs in the future and yu don't want to do anything to stop something that gives you pleasure.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I have given up trying to say listen to your body but LISTEN TO YOUR BODY it needs a bl##dy rest :RollEyes:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Paul is it the same ankle that you went over on in the Hardknock ultra ( or whatever it was called) back in March?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The pitfalls of running....

Had to happen sooner or later, but took a tumble in the Peak district leadenboots marathon on Sunday,.... only 2 miles in and running uphill. GRRRRR

Still good news is, No break and should be fit in a couple of days for Sunday's marathon, fingers crossed...

I see lots of comments about feet and ankles, but isn't that your arm??

Edit
Sorry. I see it now

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I now know why Chris is a solicitor they cant tell their arm from their foot :ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well did Edinburgh marathon today and was hoping to beat my time of 3.44.02 I managed at London 6 weeks ago. So I set out with a sub 3.40 in mind and got to half way in 1.47.45 and feeling really good then at 21 mile bang I started to ache all over kept it going to 23 mile then had to do a 2 min walk then ran to 24 and another 2 min walk before running all the way to the end in absolute agony.

I finally crossed the line in 3.45.22 so not a PB but considering how I felt I'm pleased and still in agony, hopefully be all fine by tomorrow. :ROFLMAO:

Might not have got a PB but learnt a lot today.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Well done Gerry, managed a PB myself today and finally hit sub 4-30 at the flying fox marathon :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Gerry, managed a PB myself today and finally hit sub 4-30 at the flying fox marathon :thumb:

Well done Paul, that's the worse I've ever felt during a marathon but I'd never have know if i could do sub 3.40 if I hadn't tried and even though I'm knackered I'll give it a go next time.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Awesome weekend's running the Sandstone trail Ultra from Whichurch to Frodsham 34 miles in total half of it knee deep in mud and the other half with thunder and lightening storms.... enjoyable though despite the toughness.
8 hrs and 2 mins so not to disappointing
:thumb::thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Paul, not sure about the enjoyable bit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Been having a wee rest since Edinburgh only done a couple of runs so will be getting back in to it next week.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not heard much from you guys lately hope your running is going well, im currently getting stuck into my training for my first ultra in November. I have been doing loads of hill work and back to back long runs, trying to get used to running on tired legs. went out yesterday and did 15 mile trail run round the forest then did just over 10 mile tonight with 3x6 hill sessions in between .
I need to get my self some better clothing for November as it can get cold up here sometimes, so any of you recommend a good waterproof im thinking of a OMM or an Inov-8.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Been to busy running tbh :) I've done the Rhyl marathon and the ultra tough long tour of Bradwell 35 miles through the peaks since I last posted. I've been on a nav course in the Lake District as I'm preparing for the tour de Helvyln in December.
I have an OMM and swear by it.....my favourite but of kit but not cheap.
I'm doing the Sandwell 5 towns mara this weekend followed by the Princess ultra in the moors next weekend (y)
Then there's medoc, Chester, snowdon, to name a few...which ultra you doing Gerry?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Wow Paul you certainly haven't slowed down that's an impressive list, I'm doing the Glen Ogle 33. I have been told by running mates its a good one for a first Ultra so will see how it goes.
I have thought of doing Chester as a training run and take it nice and easy just to get the miles. In.
The OMM seem to get the thumbs up from most ultra runners so will be having a look at them.
Keep up the good work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back