lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Interesting thread this, been a runner for 42 years, got myself another injury two weeks ago, a torn calf muscle so I was not happy to be on new running territory at the Garstang meet last weekend and unable to run.

My days of personal PB's are over naturally but just have to try for age bests when I am out again.

Keep on running (y)
Hi Norman nice to see another runner in fun, sorry to hear about your injury I know how you feel as suffering just now myself. I don't know what age you are but I can assume if you've been running for 42 years your in your 60s, we have a guy at our club who is 61 and runs about 6/7 marathons a year and does them all with in 5 mins of each other at 3:45-3:50 amazing. He is running Boston then 6 days later London and I would bet my house on him doing them both around the same time.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Never seen this thread before. It have got so much inspiration from reading it. I started running end of last year and got a 0-5k app which I loved. Was doing 3/4 5-6k per week but due to family, work, etc getting in the way have hardly run in the past 4 weeks. Amazing how a few pounds creeps on and our lethargic and unhealthy I felt so went out yesterday and ran/walked 6k and loved it. So I've set myself a challenge 30 and am going to run every day for 30 days. If it gets too much I'll power walk for a day. Went out today and did another 6k. Would love to be good enough to do the London marathon ... Maybe next year.
Hi Allan and Loren,
Glad your enjoying your running and as Norman says be carefull with the 30 day challenge, I run with a couple of ultra runners and one of them did the 3 mile per day during December challenge and by day 20 he was really struggling to do them and his small niggles lasted longer. It could possibly be down to the other miles he runs but just make sure you enjoy it rather than it being a chore.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We ive finally made up my mind and actually listen to advice for a change and will be deferring my London place until next year.
It has been a hard decision to make but after doing 8 miles the other day and suffering there's no point making things worse.
I will be there to cheer everyone on and will take a few weeks off running although I'm taking my trainers on holiday as always wanted to run round Central Park so a nice slow run it will be.
Hopefully I will come back fresher and fatter and will get into my training for my next race which is 35 Miles round the Isle of Tiree.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Allan, or Loren, easiest way to get injured is to set yourself a challenge like that and then run through the first signs of a injury because you have to, set myself a challenge etc etc.

If you like running you want to be running for ever so you don't need a thirty day challenge as you have the whole of the rest of your life ahead, how many days is that, more than thirty.

If you need a rest day my advice would be to have it AND DON'T FEEL GUILTY.

May meet up for a run sometime, assuming you will wait for me, take care.

Norman. :imoutahere:
Hi Norman
Thanks for your advice and if i need a rest day i will take it. Ive set the challenge more to keep me focused and stop the excuses on a cold or wet day.
Definitely take up your offer of a run together if we meet anywhere.
Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Allan and Loren,
Glad your enjoying your running and as Norman says be carefull with the 30 day challenge, I run with a couple of ultra runners and one of them did the 3 mile per day during December challenge and by day 20 he was really struggling to do them and his small niggles lasted longer. It could possibly be down to the other miles he runs but just make sure you enjoy it rather than it being a chore.
Hi Lorger,
Really appreciate your and Normans comments. Ill let you know how i get on and will take rest days if needed. I dont want any injuries either as that mightt finish off my running altogether. My challenge is more to keep me focused on the days when i am perfectly ok to run but make excuses cos of cold or rain. I know once ive got the bug a bit of rain wont stop me
Loren

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Just like to wish any funsters doing the London marathon this weekend the very best of luck.
Wish I could do it with you but sadly my running days are over. (y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the good luck messages unfortunately I have just withdrawn due to an injury I've been carri g for a few weeks, I have done everything to get to the start line but after medical advice and the wife telling me I've took a very hard decision and deferred until next year.

I will still be in London this weekend as heading to the states on Monday morning so will be there cheering on everyone else while enjoying g a cold one.
Actually looking forward to it as never watched a marathon before and Lorraine and Sophie always tell me how good it is when watching me.

Good luck to everyone running it.

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Good luck to all runners , I loved London but often thought there are so many others to do as well. The crowds at London keep you going.
I will be watching with a little tear in my eye. I have just had two knee replacements . Perhaps down to running , even so I would not change a thing . Have a good one all.
Dave dotsontour

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Good luck to all ruing in London razing money for so many worthy causes you are all stars in my mind thank you to you all because with out the money razed for so many charity's many of us would not be her today
bill

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Good luck to all runners on sunday. Sorry to hear of your injury lorger, it must be do disappointing after all the training.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Good luck to all runners on sunday. Sorry to hear of your injury lorger, it must be do disappointing after all the training.
Thanks, yes it is a bit disappointing as I feel my training was going the best ever and my speed work was paying off. Not to worry I get a space next year and did it last year so at least I've ticked it off my list.
Will watch the race on Sunday then rest for a couple of weeks on holiday before training for my next big run, 35 miles round Tiree

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not much activity in here hope your all still fit and running, since my last post I have managed to get over my injuries eventually and ran the Tiree 35M ultra. Someone told me Tiree was flat well they lied, although not the toughest races it did consist of 11 beaches one being 2.5 miles so really energy sapping being mile 30. Managed to drag myself round in 6 hours 31 so pleased with that.

Today I took a wee jaunt across the border to run the Brampton to Carlisle 10m road race apparently oldest 10miler in UK, after a bad forecast and flood warning I wasn't looking forward to it this morning. Well it actually stayed dry with strong winds unfortunately headwinds and some serious puddles, all in all a good race and pleased with my time of 1:16:48 although was looking for 1:15

So come on guys lets hear how your running.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
lorger,
Thanks for the memories, Brampton used to be a staple club run when I was living in Newcastle, thought it had been turned into a 'half' years ago.
Well done again to finishing your ultra, never, never, never could I ever run one of those.
Personally the older I get the more the injuries track me down, still doing 30 plus a week but can't bring myself to enter any races, I don't need to pay to run a race badly to know that I can run a race badly, I can do that for free, and the cost of races these days (n)
Keep on running, take care.
Norman.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
well done Gerry great times.
I ran my 50th Marathon last week at Goathland and today my 51st at the "hell of a hill marathon" both really tough, just glad to of got around

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
lorger,
Thanks for the memories, Brampton used to be a staple club run when I was living in Newcastle, thought it had been turned into a 'half' years ago.
Well done again to finishing your ultra, never, never, never could I ever run one of those.
Personally the older I get the more the injuries track me down, still doing 30 plus a week but can't bring myself to enter any races, I don't need to pay to run a race badly to know that I can run a race badly, I can do that for free, and the cost of races these days (n)
Keep on running, take care.
Norman.
Cheers Norman, 30miles plus a week that's still I good mileage. I know what you mean about price of races although there are a few good cheap club races out there, my club does a 12 miler in March at the cost of £2.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
well done Gerry great times.
I ran my 50th Marathon last week at Goathland and today my 51st at the "hell of a hill marathon" both really tough, just glad to of got around
Thanks Paul, wow 51 marathons it doesn't seem that long since your first one plus a few ultras thrown in there too. Well done keep up the good work.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done Gerry, sounds like a tough run especially with the beaches thrown in.
Thanks Sandra the beaches are stunning but after the first 5 I wasn't feeling the love, would have kicked kids sand castles over if they'd been there. :D:D
Hope you and Colin are keeping up the running in your new lifestyle.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Sandra the beaches are stunning but after the first 5 I wasn't feeling the love, would have kicked kids sand castles over if they'd been there. :D:D
Hope you and Colin are keeping up the running in your new lifestyle.
We haven't run much but are really getting back into our cycling. Have just done a 16 mile hot and hilly off-road ride, feet up for the rest of the day I think.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We haven't run much but are really getting back into our cycling. Have just done a 16 mile hot and hilly off-road ride, feet up for the rest of the day I think.
Glad to hear your keeping up the fitness, I'd like some of the hot weather for running. Enjoy your rest.

kravist

Free Member
Sep 26, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2015
Hi all
Just joined the MHF and seen this thread. Myself and my better half, Mandy, have just recently taken part in the Marathon du Medoc (best event in the world.) We are members of our local triathlon club however that is not my bag. We are both doing Beachy Head Marathon in Oct and I am hoping to finish my first ultra (South Downs Way 50) in the new year.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi all
Just joined the MHF and seen this thread. Myself and my better half, Mandy, have just recently taken part in the Marathon du Medoc (best event in the world.) We are members of our local triathlon club however that is not my bag. We are both doing Beachy Head Marathon in Oct and I am hoping to finish my first ultra (South Downs Way 50) in the new year.

Hi and welcome, I'm just on my way home from running Berlin marathon yesterday. Have a look in the u shaped lounge for post Hot in Berlin, it was very hot and with a persistent niggle I just took it easy and enjoyed the day. Spending the night in Amsterdam before getting ferry home tomorrow.

Have done a few ultras myself and although it sounds daft I actually find them easier as you tend to run slower and at my level the odd walk.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Just seen this thread and have to say I've never ever, ever seen the slightest fun in running but each to their own! :LOL::p

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Kravist. I have ran Medoc twice and went to watch this year as I was down there. My favourite marathon by a country mile. I have just booked marathon number 63 this weekend, I am hoping to get to a 100 by 2 years but have really got in to cycling lately so could be an Iron man on the cards instead.:cautious:

kravist

Free Member
Sep 26, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2015
Hi

Lorger well done for the Berlin Marathon. That one is known as being a fast course. I know what you mean about the ultras i got to 15miles in on the North Downs Way and pulled out witha ITB issue which felt as if it was getting progressively worse. Had it happened later in the race I would have gritted my teeth and struggled onwards but with another 35 to go i thought discretion was the better part of valour.

Abacist you are probably right, i sometimes think us runners are a bunch of masochists:)

Haganap you might have seen me then at Medoc, I was wearing a St George knight costume complete with sword and shield and little red dragon puppet that i kept having to beat with the sword to make him behave himself. will definitely be doing that marathon again, met some great people and had a ball.

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
We are both doing Beachy Head Marathon in Oct and I am hoping to finish my first ultra (South Downs Way 50) in the new year.

We'll be at Beachy Head as well. John will running, and I will supporting with the dog.

Andy

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
We are both doing Beachy Head Marathon in Oct and I am hoping to finish my first ultra (South Downs Way 50) in the new year.

We'll be at Beachy Head as well. John will running, and I will supporting with the dog.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back