Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I've been looking at Garmin and Tomtom devices.
Does anyone have views on these and recommendations, good or bad?

I've been using Waze on my phone with it connected to my helmet comms but it doesn't seem as good for plotting multi-stop routes.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Having had Garmin & BMW satnags I’m now curious about this simpler version...

More cost effective than getting the Triumph connect module on my Scrambler XE.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Having had Garmin & BMW satnags I’m now curious about this simpler version...

More cost effective than getting the Triumph connect module on my Scrambler XE.
I got one, i like the small size and no wiring needed. Works OK but it messed up in Spain when it had me on a tiny parallel road and got confused.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have a Garmin zumo 660. It’s a good few years old now but it’s been brilliant. I much prefer Garmin over Tom Tom but that’s just personal preference. The beauty of Garmin is Basecamp to plot routes the install them onto the sat nav. The BMW branded sat nav is Garmin, I can and have put my zumo straight in the mount on my brothers BMW. I do not have it bluetoothed to my helmet and have it muted so just visual guidance.
I would definitely buy it again.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I looked at this a while ago,thought would leave it until more user reviews.
Looks handy and I am fed up with struggling to hear the Bluetooth to my helmet.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Forgot to add, we used beeline in Sardinia. It was hilarious. Quite strange at first. We all had a go with it. Just an arrow telling you which way to go at your next turn and a countdown to said turn. Advantages are, no wiring it rechargeable, easy to swap between bikes, routes can be plotted on your phone, disadvantages, it’s quite small so need to get used to looking at it, you need to remember to recharge it, if you’re swapping it between riders remember to to get the phone it’s talking to off the rider that used it last 😂😂😂. I wouldn’t buy one but it’s better than nothing.
My son bought it and I don’t think he’s used it since.

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
I use a TomTom Rider 500 and am very happy with it. I find it easy to use and you can plan multi stop routes with it. You can also choose various routes to your destination including twisty routes if you fancy a bit of fun.
It is hard wired onto the bike with the head unit being removable and you can Bluetooth it to your helmet. I can also direct my phone and music player through it to my helmet.
A great bit of kit which I have used all over the UK and Europe without incident.

OP
OP
Wikky

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I use a TomTom Rider 500 and am very happy with it. I find it easy to use and you can plan multi stop routes with it. You can also choose various routes to your destination including twisty routes if you fancy a bit of fun.
It is hard wired onto the bike with the head unit being removable and you can Bluetooth it to your helmet. I can also direct my phone and music player through it to my helmet.
A great bit of kit which I have used all over the UK and Europe without incident.
The Rider 500 was one I was looking at as I don't need world wide maps which come with the 550. I did see somewhere that traffic data on the 500 is available for just 5 months. Is that your experience also?

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Been using a Garmin Zumo for 8 years, after several trips abroad it has never let me down, bluetooth works well with precise and clear instructions. Like all sat navs sometimes the route doesn't seem logical but has always got me to my destination.
The "twisty route" function is brilliant.

Lee337

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None, absolutely none, although I did once own a VW T2 Westie which I used overnight a few times
I just use Google Maps on my phone via a BT headset. No having to look down at anything. It does rely on having a reasonable BT set

If you download the map, you don't even need a mobile signal as long as your phone is GPS enabled. Used an old phone with no sim card in Portugal a few years ago & it seemed to work fine.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I have used Garmin for the past 15 years and currently use a Garmin 595. Happy with the unit, but Basecamp is awful. I have stuck with Mapsource for plotting my routes.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
I use a Tomtom rider 550 and like it.
Calimoto, a ‘phone app , is fun and useful.........worth downloading and free for local rides if you don’t want to subscribe.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I use Zumo 660 on the bike. I also prefer Mapsource to Basecamp for route plotting.
Great isn’t it? We do things differently. I cannot use map source it’s just far too complicated for me. I find Basecamp very used friendly.👍🏻

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Great isn’t it? We do things differently. I cannot use map source it’s just far too complicated for me. I find Basecamp very used friendly.👍🏻
When Basecamp was created, (mainly 'cos Mapsource wouldn't work with MAC computers) there were rumours that Mapsource would cease to exist.

So I learnt to use (the over-complicated) Basecamp, with success I might add.

Then I found out that Mapsource would carry on being available, so reverted back to that, I am surprised that you find Mapsource to complicated, as it is a first class route creating program, without all the unnecessary 'extras' found in Basecamp.

..but as you say we all do things differently.

Feb 10, 2017
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
Another vote for TomTom and using the twisty roads option if you have the time. We used them to come out of the Nurburgring on a Sunday afternoon to get over to Spa and it took us across some fab roads that were quiet and well surfaced.

Glenn2926 re post 6 - I was thinking of getting a Beeline to try out. If its the metal version and your lad is thinking of getting rid, let me know

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I use a Garmin Zumo 395Lm on all my bikes the screen size is adequate to see and the unit size isn't too big to fit in your pocket.
Though I always carry a set of good old paper maps in case Zumo gets lost and trys to take me somewhere I don't want to go.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Another vote for TomTom and using the twisty roads option if you have the time. We used them to come out of the Nurburgring on a Sunday afternoon to get over to Spa and it took us across some fab roads that were quiet and well surfaced.

Glenn2926 re post 6 - I was thinking of getting a Beeline to try out. If its the metal version and your lad is thinking of getting rid, let me know
It’s the one about the size of a wrist watch. I think he’s keeping it to use on his bikes.

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
The Rider 500 was one I was looking at as I don't need world wide maps which come with the 550. I did see somewhere that traffic data on the 500 is available for just 5 months. Is that your experience also?
I don’t tend to use the traffic data on the bike so not sure how long it’s available for.
However, on my car TomTom it’s been there for years so I can’t imagine the bike one would be any different.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
google maps and google my maps are free and you can use google my maps to create custom routes in advance either on your phone or on a PC for transfer to your phone. The link describes the process.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
google maps and google my maps are free and you can use google my maps to create custom routes in advance either on your phone or on a PC for transfer to your phone. The link describes the process.

Couldn't be doing with using my phone as a satnav on my bike, waterproofing it, can’t use it with gloves, poor lighting etc.

Much much prefer a dedicated motorcycle unit.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

Your phone is not a lot of use as a sat nav on the bike. Bike sat navs tend to be water proof, shake proof and dust proof and can be used with protective gloves on. At one time the local motorcycle dealers were keeping a Garmin motorcycle sat nav in a bucket of water to show prospective buyers how water proof it was. For some reason they didn’t keep a Tom Tom in the bucket. I never asked why.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have a waterproof phone housing, I've done hundreds of miles across France in torrential rain with no problems at all, the phone is connected to my headset by bluetooth and once set up I don't need to touch it again, I can use voice commands to change music, call someone etc. it works a treat. And of course navigate.

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Have used the Garmin Montana for many years on a number of motorcycle's. Have done many road and off-road trips. Today it's mainly used for off-road trail riding in France, Spain and Portugal. BaseCamp is good at planning a multi stop route for road and trails. Plus you can download free detailed maps of Europe.
No Bluetooth connection, but never needed it. It's also easy to download the route from the the PC to Garmin and also the route taken from Garmin to BaseCamp.
A very rugged device...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I've been looking at Garmin and Tomtom devices.
Does anyone have views on these and recommendations, good or bad?

I've been using Waze on my phone with it connected to my helmet comms but it doesn't seem as good for plotting multi-stop routes.
Had all sorts of Garmins over the years, then a couple of years ago I tried a TT... Used it for a year and sold it with the bike..
Went back to Garmin

OP
OP
Wikky

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you for all the responses. Clearly there are supporters of both devices(TT and Garmin).
It may come down to price for me as Garmin 396 is cheaper than TT550 and should do an adequate job. I'll have another look at Sportsbikeshop then.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I use a Tomtom rider 550 and like it.
Calimoto, a ‘phone app , is fun and useful.........worth downloading and free for local rides if you don’t want to subscribe.
I have been trialling Calimoto too, for the last couple of weeks as lockdown has lifted.

Easy to use and reliable. The free version, allowing “local rides” to be planned etc covers the whole of Wales, so gives plenty of scope for me. I have found that it is fairly power hungry so will need a USB connection if riding anything other than a route of 2 hours or less. Works well though and the route directions are clear and accurate.

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Had Garmin 660 on bikes for many years. Used it for trips all over Europe. It gets things wrong frequently and you have to learn to use it as a guide and not the definitive. As for basecamp.......... LOL
Decided to give Tom Tom a go and never looked back. Far more user friendly for me personally. Just intuitive.
Now also use the Tom Tom HGV in the Moho. Excellent.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
As for basecamp.......... LOL
Couldn't agree more, to much clicking on the screen to create a route, much easier using Mapsource.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back