Motorbikes....what am I missing. (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I sometimes hire a bike or scooter in sunnier parts but only for the convenience of getting around.
And in a nutshell you have explained why I am thinking of getting a scooter to put in the motorhome garage. It will enable us to get around and see more of the sights. Nothing to do with the thrills, just the practicality.

I doubt that we will ever use it in the rain or at night though.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
If you focus on how 'dangerous' they are you obviously will never get the attraction of them.

I've had bikes all my life and just sold my last one a couple of months ago, I've had a good 30 year run but I thought it best to get out while I'm ahead with just a knackered shoulder to speak of from an accident a few years ago!

On the plus side the money from the bike sale went towards our new motorhome!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Again I feel compelled to agree Buttons :)
In the very early 70's I was right in to Swedish chops.. For those not in to that sort of thing, great big long forks and really an art form.. In the UK it was I think inspired by the film Easy Rider

By 1974 I had moved on to cars..
Whilst myself and a few other local lads were well in to the severely modified stuff ( massive engines, roof chops, whole front / rear end remodeling etc ) there were far more doing purely bolt on cosmetic stuff..

It is that second type that seems to have just died away completely
I was privy to a conversation that went on for at least 20 minutes between 5 lads who were discussing upgrades to their motors..
About the WILDEST thing that came out of the meet was that one of them was 'thinking' about changing his aerial for a bee sting and another had ordered some special mats

When I put forward a few suggestions they were amazed at what could be done.. even more amazed to find out they could do the stuff them selves and without spending an arm and a leg..

Two of the lads have already started.. And one ( Mr Sensible ) got a full list off his insurance company of all the things they consider modifications that need to be declared ( quite a list but as he discovered it left plenty of scope to allow him to make his car stand out from others without incurring the wrath of said insurers )
You could line yourself up for a few presentations at custom car club meets I'm sure you would be very popular. Your sort of skill set is a sort after commodity with young people interested in motors.(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That's something I would have never have thought I would read in my life :)
There were very many highly tuned 105E's in the day, raced, rallied, autocrossed. None were as hot as our 105 van with a V4 Corsair engine in it though;) Didn't do anything to the brakes or suspension though, corner? Naa, didn't do corners :eek::LOL::LOL:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If you say so John....:) This thread is nothing to do with banning motorbikes it is it is an attempt to understand why the silver surfers are now turning to riding them.;)

A joke, Buttons.:winky:

If you havent experienced it, it's hard to explain.
It becomes a drug from most folks' youth which often rears its head when we have time and brass for a decent machine in later life.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
At one time I has a proper 'sleeper' angle box.
Built it to go hot rod racing then changed jobs and a lot in my life altered
No point in going through all the specs but lets just say it was bloody quick.
I ended up refitting the windows and slung a couple of bucket seats in it and putting it on the road for a regular commute from Norfolk to Dagenham
It was still that horrible alpine green, had standard 520 wheels on and the end of the original 'zorst poking out the rear valance .. The real exhaust exited on the other side and was more like a drainpipe !
In fact it was complete with the ubiquitous bit of chrome trim hanging off one side :)
It did not have any heater, no mats, no radio or any other comfort related stuff in it.. So while it looked normal it was a bare shell with a 1720 over bored over cam'ed over carbed over the top lump in it attached to a 5 speed crash box and driving a mkiii zodiac diff
I would travel the A11/M11 either late at night or very early mornings.. Every now and then some oik in a sports car would overtake me and I would just ignore them as usual.. But occasionally you would get the ones who slowed down, gave a look of disdain before cogging down and roaring off..
THEY were mine.. Loved em..
Would drop a couple of gears and just keep beside them changing back up to top asap so I could bimble along keeping pace..
Back in the day most so called sports cars were good for about 110 tops..
I would wait until they were flat out and, giving the clutch a dip and the motor a good rev, drop a cog.
Once I knew I had their attention I would repeat, go down to third and floor it..
Leave them for dead and then slow down and let them sail past .. Totally deflated !!

Had a mk 1 transit with a bored out german block V6 in it that I would do the same sort of thing with
Got stopped on a motorway by plod at almost twice the legal limit.. But that is a story for another time :)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
At one time I has a proper 'sleeper' angle box.
Built it to go hot rod racing then changed jobs and a lot in my life altered
No point in going through all the specs but lets just say it was bloody quick.
I ended up refitting the windows and slung a couple of bucket seats in it and putting it on the road for a regular commute from Norfolk to Dagenham
It was still that horrible alpine green, had standard 520 wheels on and the end of the original 'zorst poking out the rear valance .. The real exhaust exited on the other side and was more like a drainpipe !
In fact it was complete with the ubiquitous bit of chrome trim hanging off one side :)
It did not have any heater, no mats, no radio or any other comfort related stuff in it.. So while it looked normal it was a bare shell with a 1720 over bored over cam'ed over carbed over the top lump in it attached to a 5 speed crash box and driving a mkiii zodiac diff
I would travel the A11/M11 either late at night or very early mornings.. Every now and then some oik in a sports car would overtake me and I would just ignore them as usual.. But occasionally you would get the ones who slowed down, gave a look of disdain before cogging down and roaring off..
THEY were mine.. Loved em..
Would drop a couple of gears and just keep beside them changing back up to top asap so I could bimble along keeping pace..
Back in the day most so called sports cars were good for about 110 tops..
I would wait until they were flat out and, giving the clutch a dip and the motor a good rev, drop a cog.
Once I knew I had their attention I would repeat, go down to third and floor it..
Leave them for dead and then slow down and let them sail past .. Totally deflated !!

Had a mk 1 transit with a bored out german block V6 in it that I would do the same sort of thing with
Got stopped on a motorway by plod at almost twice the legal limit.. But that is a story for another time :)
Now own up Jaws....cars are much more fun than bikes. ;)(y):)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A joke, Buttons.:winky:

If you havent experienced it, it's hard to explain.
It becomes a drug from most folks' youth which often rears its head when we have time and brass for a decent machine in later life.(y)
Dont tell me you are a biker too J10......:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Nahh.. canna do that.. One of the main reasons is that as long as I have a hole up my bum I will never be able to afford to buy or run a car that comes even half way close to the performance of the bikes I ride.. And performance for me means fun !
Thinking further.. Even if I could afford one I honestly do not think I would get much satisfaction from it.. Modern cars cannot be fettled at home !
There is also the fact that anyone can drive a car fast ( maybe not quickly mind, just fast ) but the skill set required to ride a quick bike is a bit bigger :)

Which kinda leads to the root of it all.. Mechanical involvement !

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
A mate of mine built his own car, it was a single seater based on an F3 car, he fitted a Kawazaki 750 Turbo motor in it, went like the clappers. The build used a home made tubular chassis so when it came to getting it registered he had to give it his own manufacturers name. When he sold it on for a small fortune the new owner fitted a Hyabusa engine, now called a Hainsworth F1 and worth even more. The point is if you like cars or bikes this was the answer, just not great for shopping though!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Dont tell me you are a biker too J10......:)

Long time ago in my mad youth.
I have a trike, but not been used since I fell through my garage roof (not an accident...own stupidity) and broke meself a bit.
Must get it sorted.

WinnieBago

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i810g
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I never had the slightest desire to ride a bike until May this year. For some reason, I thought I'd book my CBT and at least learn how it's done. There were only 2 of us on the day and we had some fun pottering around the car park, learning how to balance, going round and round clockwise and then finding it stupidly difficult to do the same thing anti-clockwise.

Then came the moment of truth - we were unleashed on to the mean streets of Rugby. I was nominated to go first, and found myself "gving it large" on the throttle & marching through the gears like Rossi on acid. "Strewth, this is fast" I thought. "Better slow down a bit, don't want the instructor giving me a rollicking for breaking the speed limit". Then I stole a glance at the speedo - 20mph!

I must have driven 250,000 miles since I originally passed my test 25 years ago. I drive 20,000 miles a year, much of it at 70 (ish) on motorways. But that 20mph ride on the 125 Honda rocket sled (!) was the biggest speed thrill I've had in years. So I now have a my own little 125 and will (hopefully) pass modules 1 & 2 next year and move up in size a bit. For me, it's the acceleration, the noise and the feeling of being at one with the machine which you just don't get with a car. It's a great way to blow away a few cobwebs and get rid of some stress. I feel safe enough as long as I remember that everyone else on the road is actively trying to kill me and I need to anticipate their next attack as much as possible. :)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nahh.. canna do that.. One of the main reasons is that as long as I have a hole up my bum I will never be able to afford to buy or run a car that comes even half way close to the performance of the bikes I ride.. And performance for me means fun !
Thinking further.. Even if I could afford one I honestly do not think I would get much satisfaction from it.. Modern cars cannot be fettled at home !
There is also the fact that anyone can drive a car fast ( maybe not quickly mind, just fast ) but the skill set required to ride a quick bike is a bit bigger :)

Which kinda leads to the root of it all.. Mechanical involvement !
Last time in the US I had the use of my sons Nissan GT-R for a couple of weeks frighten the life out of me but soon got the hang of it and loved every minuet of driving it. Not as fast as some bikes I'll grant you but no slouch either. I was sorry to leave it behind when we came home. You cant compair that sort of pleasure rush with a bike surely. :)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Last time in the US I had the use of my sons Nissan GT-R for a couple of weeks frighten the life out of me but soon got the hang of it and loved every minuet of driving it. Not as fast as some bikes I'll grant you but no slouch either. I was sorry to leave it behind when we came home. You cant compair that sort of pleasure rush with a bike surely. :)
I thinks most men in the States have a mid life crisis like that. Our son-in-law in NJ just went out and bought himself an immaculate little Mazda MX5. Looking forward to going out in it when I am over there at Christmas. Doubt that I would be allowed to drive it though.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We tow a little Vespa around

For us it is just freedom to roam. Park anywhere and no traffic jams.

In Spain it appears that no traffic laws apply to scooters lol

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Nice motor !! Bloody quick too ...
But tax and insurance alone would make it a non starter for me !!
I spend £88 a year on tax and insurance this year was £135
That bike clocks out at a tad over 180mph ( genuine, not speedo which dreams on further and stops at about 205 ! )
And, if I behave myself and lay off the right hand, an average of 48 to 50 MPG is the norm
I cannot begin to guess at what it would cost to insure a car with that sort of performance,, and doubt very much I would see better than maybe 20 MPG ?
Obviously speed and power ( 0 - 60 in 2.8 seconds ) is not everyones idea of transport, but it is an aspect of biking I really enjoy ! ;)

I am just waiting for someone to ask why the hell I bought a goldwing then LOL !!!
The answer is..... No bloody idea !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's to dangerous..many young men end up with hortific injuries, lost limbs etc...was in a large old fashioned ward years ago after a car accident. And everyone in there except me was a biker.. Some completly f*****" up....something i will never forget.
Bikes are not dangerous.

Idiot riders riding beyond their abilty, and blind car drivers, are dangerous.

In much the same way a gun doesnt kill, the person holding it kills.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've seen people riding in flip flops - no protection whatsoever if they have to suddenly put a foot down even at very low speeds ... mangled toes/feet, then if they come off, wearing shorts and t-shirt ... mangled knees, elbows, hands etc. Even in summer I never ever used my bikes/scooters without a helmet, sensible shoes, clothing and gloves ... I value my 'body' much more than the inconvenience of having to dress sensibly to ride it.

A definate candidate for a brain transplant.
Skin vs tarmac....no contest.

upload_2015-11-12_14-36-24.jpeg

WinnieBago

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i810g
Exp
I'm a Newbie
And that is the very best strategy and attitude any rider can have (y)
I'm still new enough to it to be able to scare the s**t out of myself without the help of others so I'm quite happy to potter around within my own limits. I've been up to 72 mph on it (straight bit of dry road, no side turnings and no other cars around) and that was fast enough, although it feels like I'm standing still when I do the same speed in my Focus.

I genuinely think it's made me as better car driver as a result. I'm now more aware of forward planning instead of relying on ABS, traction control and 4 wheels to get me out of trouble. Modern cars can make you a bit lazy with all the help they give you.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A definate candidate for a brain transplant.
Skin vs tarmac....no contest.

View attachment 82777

Could not agree more Very def a need for a brain upgrade.. Extremely stupid riding a Suzuki !!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Long time ago in my mad youth.
I have a trike, but not been used since I fell through my garage roof (not an accident...own stupidity) and broke meself a bit.
Must get it sorted.

What were you doing riding on the garage roof? ;)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Nice motor !! Bloody quick too ...
But tax and insurance alone would make it a non starter for me !!
I spend £88 a year on tax and insurance this year was £135
That bike clocks out at a tad over 180mph ( genuine, not speedo which dreams on further and stops at about 205 ! )
And, if I behave myself and lay off the right hand, an average of 48 to 50 MPG is the norm
I cannot begin to guess at what it would cost to insure a car with that sort of performance,, and doubt very much I would see better than maybe 20 MPG ?
Obviously speed and power ( 0 - 60 in 2.8 seconds ) is not everyones idea of transport, but it is an aspect of biking I really enjoy ! ;)

I am just waiting for someone to ask why the hell I bought a goldwing then LOL !!!
The answer is..... No bloody idea !
I've had my partner on the back of a holiday bike once, she was absolutely terrified even before we started off but put her in the passenger seat of a car and she is anybodies, she doesn't drive herself but we do the rally thing sometimes and she cant go fast enough, she loves it. In the states I had her screaming with delight a few times so perhaps the Marmite thing applies to women as well. (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahhhh .. now then.. I was about 7 when I decided I would NEVER understand what any woman thinks, so not gonna comment on that at all !!!!!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back