LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If you let the MOT expire your insurance may be void.
Your van must be legal in the UK to be legal anywhere else.
Don't start that chestnut again.
Lack of MOT does not mean lack of Insurance.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
My initial though was don't worry about the mot as sadly you have more important issues, however when I recently sorn a car the insurance company wrote to me saying that due to the sorn it is no longer insured.
So unfortuntelly you have no choice, thick Dave Busman or Clipgate's options are the best so far.

Take care, enjoy the journey and don't let it stress you.
i cant see why that would be as weve often sorned our van but kept the insurance running just because its of the road doesnt stop accidents happening to your van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
What's wrong with just going over the border to Germany finding a nice stelplatz or site for 14 days and then getting say Aachen to the Chunnel without stopping. No quarantine needed then ??
I do like that idea. It looks like you were right and I was wrong about needing to quarantine after transit. I can easily drive from Aachen to Calais without stopping, never mind interacting with other people. I just need to be sure that I will not have to quarantine on arrival in the UK, because I need to get back to France for medical reasons.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I do like that idea. It looks like you were right and I was wrong about needing to quarantine after transit. I can easily drive from Aachen to Calais without stopping, never mind interacting with other people. I just need to be sure that I will not have to quarantine on arrival in the UK, because I need to get back to France for medical reasons.

.......and if Germany goes on the naughty list while you are on the Stellplatz during that 14 days?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I would first find an MOT station that can pick up, test and repair if needed (recommended on here?) and fix a date.
I would then find an hotel nearby to isolate in.
The MOT station and hotel don't even have to be close to Folkestone - could be anywhere in the UK
Then straight back to the tunnel

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you plan on staying in France long term and can do this after 31 December and won't be limited to 90 days like almost all of the rest of us I think you need to bite the bullet and buy a French registered MH so you won't have this problem again.

I wouldn't fret too much about quarantine in the UK as no one is checking on compliance.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
If you plan on staying in France long term and can do this after 31 December and won't be limited to 90 days like almost all of the rest of us I think you need to bite the bullet and buy a French registered MH so you won't have this problem again.

I wouldn't fret too much about quarantine in the UK as no one is checking on compliance.
You are absolutely right about having a French registered MH, I will probably register the existing one, mainly because i like it (Hymer B584, a classic where they got it all right IMHO), but it has a number of greater or lesser cosmetic issues that don't bother me much but would definitely take a lot off the selling price.

I was waiting for my official residence in France before taking that step, so hopefully this will be the last MOT visit. It looked like a good plan when I didn't expect Covid-19 plus cancer treatment and reduced immunity. The best-laid plans o' mice and men...

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
.......and if Germany goes on the naughty list while you are on the Stellplatz during that 14 days?
Then I'm back where I would have been anyway before that plan. Yes I do have to allow for that vis-à-vis my other appointments, but it's worth a shot.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
And I should have said that in that case, I would do your plan of quarantine plus collect-and-return. I have already sent a couple of messages to MOT places to ask if they will collect the vehicle while I stay in isolation. And it is true as you say that it could be anywhere in the UK. My thinking is stuck on Dover/Folkestone because I had in mind the "drive directly to a pre-booked MOT" idea.

My previous place in the Scottish Borders knows me well and has previously allowed me to park overnight in their car park while waiting for parts and service. A long drive to be sure if I went there, but maybe a place in Kent would let me do the same?

Two distinct plans from here that I hadn't thought of. Thanks people!

Feb 6, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC584 Classic
Exp
Since 2011
Ignore my earlier comment. Already been said

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I like it but I'm afraid not. If you pass through a country on the quarantine list, you need to quarantine. Example, as the gov.uk site said explicitly: if you fly from Switzerland (not on the quarantine list) out of Basel-Mulhiuse-Freiburg airport, you have to quarantine because you passed through a little bit of France inside the airport! And that's for some 20 metres inside the airport. How much more for a few hundred kms on the road?
No you dont,,if you pass through France without stopping other than for fuel at a self service filling station and use the tunnel there is no need to quarantine is how i understand it..If you SWORN van whilst abroad you are breaking the law.BUSBY.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
No you dont,,if you pass through France without stopping other than for fuel at a self service filling station and use the tunnel there is no need to quarantine is how i understand it..If you SWORN van whilst abroad you are breaking the law.BUSBY.
But my case is special.
Signed, Dominic.

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Why not just put the van through a CT? If it passes register it in France, if not, sort out the issues then get a French registration. I may well be doing something similar...need a set of LHD Sevel 3 headlamps!!

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Why not just put the van through a CT? If it passes register it in France, if not, sort out the issues then get a French registration. I may well be doing something similar...need a set of LHD Sevel 3 headlamps!!
That's a fair suggestion, and probably what I should have done some time ago. But time is short now and I wouldn't expect to get through the French registration very quickly. And my official address here is in the 93 département, which I have no intention of setting foot in while Covid-19 rages there and I am immunocompromised from chemotherapy. And I am full timing, I can't afford anything that takes it off the road or stops me from driving it. Maybe later, when I have an MOT to take the time pressure off.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I am in Germany now and I drove across the border without stopping. Plan A is working so far.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have just got my MOT in Dover after spending 2 weeks in Germany to avoid the quarantine, and I have to say thank you Busman for that suggestion.
That's great news ... :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back