EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
My motorhome MOT runs out in mid-September. I am currently in France, with long-term plans to stay here. Do I have any good choices?
I ask this here because the fact that I am full timing is what makes it complicated. An additional factor is that I am on chemotherapy and so immunocompromised, so I want to avoid people as far as I can.

Plan A, I could return to the UK for the MOT before it runs out. That would be on the tunnel because I don't fancy being stuck on a ferry, the thought of the melee on disembarking makes my blood run cold. But now that would mean quarantine for 14 days in the UK and then again in France on my return. As I understand it the isolation required for quarantine is complete, no going out at all, so I couldn't just "isolate" in the MOT garage for one day and then return to France; it would take the whole 14 days before I could go to the garage, and then another 14 in France.
Plan B is to SORN and then tax again. That would get me to August next year with only the MOT missing. I could then "drive directly to a pre-booked MOT test" at a later date. But I am not sure that it will get any better by next August. Still, my chemo is due to finish in November so at least I wouldn't be immunocompromised after that.
But after 31 December it might get more complicated, after Brexit takes effect. And after 31 December a UK registration might start to attract more attention from the French authorities. So far if you carry registration and insurance it seems to be ok but that might change.
Plan C? I could go and spend 14 days in some other country that is on the exempt list, so that then I could enter the UK without quarantine. But I can't find one that has a ferry to the UK, except Ireland which itself has quarantine for people arriving from France.
Plan D. Go over to Folkestone real soon, isolate 4 days on a campsite if I can find one that has space for 14 days, then get the MOT. Costs 14 nights on a site, and is boring, but it works and is legal.
Plan E. Same as Plan D but I book 14 days in a hotel in Folkestone or Dover, before the MOT runs out.. I drive there and isolate in the hotel. Then I drive to an MOT. It just happens to cost me 14 hotel nights. I don't like it but it is legal.

There seems to be a lot of knowledge and imagination on these forums, does anyone have any better ideas; or comments?

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Your Plan D, assuming you meant "isolate 14 days on a campsite", looks to be your best bet and book the mot for day 15, get it done then back over to France on the Chunnel on a flex ticket in case you fail!!
Am not sure how you could self isolate in a hotel as you will be coming into contact with people even if you stayed in the room using room service.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
What's wrong with just going over the border to Germany finding a nice stelplatz or site for 14 days and then getting say Aachen to the Chunnel without stopping. No quarantine needed then ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
What's wrong with just going over the border to Germany finding a nice stelplatz or site for 14 days and then getting say Aachen to the Chunnel without stopping. No quarantine needed then ??
I like it but I'm afraid not. If you pass through a country on the quarantine list, you need to quarantine. Example, as the gov.uk site said explicitly: if you fly from Switzerland (not on the quarantine list) out of Basel-Mulhiuse-Freiburg airport, you have to quarantine because you passed through a little bit of France inside the airport! And that's for some 20 metres inside the airport. How much more for a few hundred kms on the road?

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
If that’s possible then ( don’t want to get into an argument) how do they know if you’ve been in France or Germany ?

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Your Plan D, assuming you meant "isolate 14 days on a campsite", looks to be your best bet and book the mot for day 15, get it done then back over to France on the Chunnel on a flex ticket in case you fail!!
Am not sure how you could self isolate in a hotel as you will be coming into contact with people even if you stayed in the room using room service.
Yes I meant 14 days unfortunately. I did check Folkestone CCC site but it is closed till 2021. Black horse Farm CAMC site looks good but has 3 days unavailable right in the middle of the 1st 14 days in September. Rats, must keep looking.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
I like it but I'm afraid not. If you pass through a country on the quarantine list, you need to quarantine. Example, as the gov.uk site said explicitly: if you fly from Switzerland (not on the quarantine list) out of Basel-Mulhiuse-Freiburg airport, you have to quarantine because you passed through a little bit of France inside the airport! And that's for some 20 metres inside the airport. How much more for a few hundred kms on the road?
Not so. You would of been in Germany over 14 days if you get the Chunnel and don't stop in Belgium and France you are ok

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Busman's idea is doable legally if you make no contact with anyone in Belgium or France.

The difference with Basel airport is that you have to mingle with other passengers on French territory.

You cannot legally SORN a vehicle in France, because the rules say it must at the time be 'A UK vehicle' defined as one present in the UK. [As a DVLA person said 'We do not ask on the SORN form where the vehicle is ;)]

Geoff

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If you head home, isolate and get the van through the MOT that is you good to go for another whole year. A bit of hassle but once it is done it is done and as you say, no one knows when things will improve and be a bit easier. I'd bite the bullet and get it done.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If that’s possible then ( don’t want to get into an argument) how do they know if you’ve been in France or Germany ?

If your van is fitted with a tracker then you could use the info from that or you can use Goggle maps location history or you could even buy something in Germany that has a date and place invoice.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Screenshot_20200827-195923.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
There was a legal expert answering questions about the quarantine situation when this current phase started. He was saying if you say pass straight through a country on the list without stopping for fuel or food, having been in an acceptable country, it was ok, no quarantine. But that is really the best option. You cannot legally SORN a vehicle that is not off the road in the UK. Bigger fines for that than no MOT

Just book an MOT station in Dover. Time it right to get the train and allow a couple of hours delay then straight to the MOT appointment and if it passes, turn round and go straight back

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If you stay in the UK for less than 14 days you only have to isolate for length of stay.

Book into hotel have van picked up for MOT, hopefully passes, delivered back to hotel - straight to the tunnel

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Dave's Busman plan sounds the best option
You can't use plan B as technically a vehicle has to be in the UK to SORN but more importantly you can't drive a vehicle in another country unless it has valid tax and MOT in the country of registration.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
My initial though was don't worry about the mot as sadly you have more important issues, however when I recently sorn a car the insurance company wrote to me saying that due to the sorn it is no longer insured.
So unfortuntelly you have no choice, thick Dave Busman or Clipgate's options are the best so far.

Take care, enjoy the journey and don't let it stress you.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
As I understand it, it is up to you to prove it. Not that it matters in this case because if you come on the tunnel you come from France. But IF for example I came from NL on a ferry and IF NL was ok to come from (alas it is not) THEN I would have to be able to prove at the UK port that I had been in a "good" country for at least the last 14 days. It could be done with receipts, phone selfies, etc, I suppose.
There was a legal expert answering questions about the quarantine situation when this current phase started. He was saying if you say pass straight through a country on the list without stopping for fuel or food, having been in an acceptable country, it was ok, no quarantine. But that is really the best option. You cannot legally SORN a vehicle that is not off the road in the UK. Bigger fines for that than no MOT

Just book an MOT station in Dover. Time it right to get the train and allow a couple of hours delay then straight to the MOT appointment and if it passes, turn round and go straight back
Quite a lot of good ideas in such a short space of time! I like the 1-day trip, but is it legal? I know that it is ok to stay in the UK for less than 14 days and therefore only have to isolate for the time spent in the UK. But dent that mean that theoretically I would have to isolate for that 1 day, and therefore could not go to an MOT station on that day? I don't want to sound pedantic but I want to be sure before arriving in Folkestone.

BTW I thought of another plan: I could arrive in the UK bare the MOT runs out, isolate for 14 days even if the MOT runs out during that time, then drive to a pre-booked MOT.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
BTW I thought of another plan: I could arrive in the UK bare the MOT runs out, isolate for 14 days even if the MOT runs out during that time, then drive to a pre-booked MOT.
I could arrive in the UK before the MOT runs out (but less than 14 days until it does).....

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Quite a lot of good ideas in such a short space of time! I like the 1-day trip, but is it legal? I know that it is ok to stay in the UK for less than 14 days and therefore only have to isolate for the time spent in the UK. But dent that mean that theoretically I would have to isolate for that 1 day, and therefore could not go to an MOT station on that day? I don't want to sound pedantic but I want to be sure before arriving in Folkestone.

During lockdown MOT stations were picking up customers vehicles. I am sure one near Folkestone would oblige.

As for the 14 day rule - Google it - you will see you only have to quarantine for the length of stay if it's less than 14 days

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you let the MOT expire your insurance may be void.
Your van must be legal in the UK to be legal anywhere else.

OP
OP
E

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
No it only has to have 1 day if going to a campsite then you can pre book an MOT for after quarantine
That's what I mean. Say MOT runs out 20 Sept, I arrive up to 19 Sept. quarantine on site 14 days, then drive to pre-booked MOT.
(The advantage for me of going later, not mentioned before, is important medical appointments in France in the middle of September).

willsd

Free Member
Aug 10, 2018
Funster No
If I were you I would be worried about getting an MOT appointment. My MOT is tomorrow and I have had to book 2 weeks ahead!!!

The local MOT station says they have a huge backlog because of Covid. So factor that in and make sure you get a garage that will take you.

Good luck

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you let the MOT expire your insurance may be void.
Your van must be legal in the UK to be legal anywhere else.
How can you drive to a pre booked Mot then,as it is legal to drive without an mot to a pre booked one

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
How can you drive to a pre booked Mot then,as it is legal to drive without an mot to a pre booked one

Insurance not affected by no MOT as long as the vehicle is roadworthy.

You can drive to a pre-booked MOT without RFL as well...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back