Rally Mosel rolling meet 2020. (1 Viewer)

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
How bad is the mobile signal in Reil and in general along the Mosel valley

I need it a bit for work etc

Im pretty sure I read it was not great

Vodaphone btw

GB

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Monty don

Vodafone is very poor, 3 is pretty good so possibly worth getting something like a Smarty sim if you have time.
£10 for 30gb on a 30 day rolling contract, 20 of which can be used while roaming.

They do a referral scheme which gets each party a free month, if you are interested i can send you a referral code.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
Mmmm might have to but a bummer when I have and pay for unlimited data on vodaphone

But I cant survive with out 4g realy
Ok for one night but no good for a few nights

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Mmmm might have to but a bummer when I have and pay for unlimited data on vodaphone

But I cant survive with out 4g realy
Ok for one night but no good for a few nights

As I'm sure you know, unlimited isn't unlimited when roaming with Vodafone, limited to 20gb.
I have the 100gb, which in theory you can use all of, unfortunately that doesn't help as their signal is only 2g.
Having been there before I was aware of it, so had got a Smarty sim for just this reason.

I think the smarty was giving in excess of 20m/b download speed.

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
I do have a unlimited roam. Im not limited when in Europe
I did this deal sometime ago and I have it in writing from Vodaphone

Its worked in the past to

But no good if you have a crap signal

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Monty don

Vodafone is very poor, 3 is pretty good so possibly worth getting something like a Smarty sim if you have time.
£10 for 30gb on a 30 day rolling contract, 20 of which can be used while roaming.

They do a referral scheme which gets each party a free month, if you are interested i can send you a referral code.
Doesn't make any difference when roaming as you can change the network you are connected to.

Mosel Valley has got to be the worst area in Europe for mobile data, you can't rely on it even in the villages.

The Stellaplatz at Reil has fairly good WiFi if you pick up the signal from the Tx near the entrance, the booster ½ way down the site gets overloaded. When we were there last year I was parked right by the booster used my long range aerial to connect to the main one had a great signal could even stream. Everyone around us were complaining about the poor WiFi they were connected to the booster.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Doesn't make any difference when roaming as you can change the network you are connected to.

Mosel Valley has got to be the worst area in Europe for mobile data, you can't rely on it even in the villages.

The Stellaplatz at Reil has fairly good WiFi if you pick up the signal from the Tx near the entrance, the booster ½ way down the site gets overloaded. When we were there last year I was parked right by the booster used my long range aerial to connect to the main one had a great signal could even stream. Everyone around us were complaining about the poor WiFi they were connected to the booster.
As per lenny. You can change who you roam with as snowbird showed me. I went on to the best german one de2 or somethinglike that and selected their 4g whilst at reil.
I was lucky to download a page in 5 mins.
The issue at reil atm is the repairs to toilets that madam mayor hasnt sorted. No electric no booster no signal no wifi sums it up

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010

Unfortunately even changing to manually selecting the network doesn't achieve anything with Vodafone in that area.
I had a vodafone sim, a giffgaff sim (which uses O2), and a Smarty sim (which uses the 3 network).
Smarty worked well, the others were useless there.
Unfortunately the wifi at Reil is switched off this year while renovation work is being carried out on the town hall.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Unfortunately even changing to manually selecting the network doesn't achieve anything with Vodafone in that area.
I had a vodafone sim, a giffgaff sim (which uses O2), and a Smarty sim (which uses the 3 network).
Smarty worked well, the others were useless there.
Unfortunately the wifi at Reil is switched off this year while renovation work is being carried out on the town hall.
Strange you can normally select whatever network is avalible.

Gill and steve

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 676 starline
Exp
New this year 2020
Snowbird we are newbies heading to Germany on Tuesday and would love to join you on the rolling rally. Do we just turn up ? any tips for us when we arrive which will probably be late afternoon? Many thanks 😊

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Snowbird we are newbies heading to Germany on Tuesday and would love to join you on the rolling rally. Do we just turn up ? any tips for us when we arrive which will probably be late afternoon? Many thanks 😊
Snowbird struggles with getting a decent signal here in Reil, as do most of us. Funsters roll in and out all the time so come on down there are sure to be a few Brits on site. The Stellplatz is very busy though so your best chance of getting a spot is early in the day, but have a back up plan in case you can’t get on. Enkirch just a mile along the river might fit the bill.

Gill and steve

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 676 starline
Exp
New this year 2020
Snowbird struggles with getting a decent signal here in Reil, as do most of us. Funsters roll in and out all the time so come on down there are sure to be a few Brits on site. The Stellplatz is very busy though so your best chance of getting a spot is early in the day, but have a back up plan in case you can’t get on. Enkirch just a mile along the river might fit the bill.
Thanks we might stop over somewhere else first and then head down the next day to arrive earlier

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We were at Reil for one night but left as the 4G phone signal was virtually non existent, have three mobiles on different networks Vodafone , EE , O2 and a Mi-Fi on 3 and none would give me a stable 3/4G signal and access to the internet .
And the EHU points were all taken so we’re further down the river at Kinheim with free Wi-fi that works good 4G and 16amp EHU

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We sadly left Reil on Monday on route for Twin Lakes where we are now pitched up before heading home in the donkey for a few weeks as we will be leaving the cart here at Twin Lakes ready for the winter trip south.
Many thanks to those that came to say Hi in Reil and we hope to see you all next summer. We trust you all enjoyed staying in Reil as much as we do.

Dec 30, 2019
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2020
We were at Reil for one night but left as the 4G phone signal was virtually non existent, have three mobiles on different networks Vodafone , EE , O2 and a Mi-Fi on 3 and none would give me a stable 3/4G signal and access to the internet .
And the EHU points were all taken so we’re further down the river at Kinheim with free Wi-fi that works good 4G and 16amp EHU
Hi Neil S, what site was this at Kinheim? Thinking of heading there in a couple of days. Thanks 😊

Deleted User
Strange you can normally select whatever network is avalible.

Lots of networks are barred on Vodafone roaming, only certain ones allowed, I am sure that 3 also have some limitations, don't know about any others.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Hi Neil S, what site was this at Kinheim? Thinking of heading there in a couple of days. Thanks 😊
Hi it’s listed on the search for sites app under Kinheim , if you don’t get in there is another equally good Stellplatz just across the river in Lösnich.
We are only a few miles away at Ürzig

Gill and steve

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer 676 starline
Exp
New this year 2020
We sadly left Reil on Monday on route for Twin Lakes where we are now pitched up before heading home in the donkey for a few weeks as we will be leaving the cart here at Twin Lakes ready for the winter trip south.
Many thanks to those that came to say Hi in Reil and we hope to see you all next summer. We trust you all enjoyed staying in Reil as much as we do.
Thanks for your hospitality Dave you made these newbies to Germany feel very welcome 👍 safe travels wherever you end up and maybe see you next year somewhere 😊

May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Was in Bernkastle-Kues last Saturday, very very busy and it didn't help that a lot of the local roads are shut too. Made interesting driving down some extremely narrow streets in our Autograph 794. Anyhow, we've used an O2 preloaded 25Gb SIM all over Germany without a hiccup, even in Bernkastle-Kues we got 4G.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Lots of networks are barred on Vodafone roaming, only certain ones allowed, I am sure that 3 also have some limitations, don't know about any others.
I would think in Germany Voda UK may only connect to Voda DE, never tried to change on my mifi unit but generally manged a signal everywhere except on a farm near the Alps.

Deleted User
I would think in Germany Voda UK may only connect to Voda DE, never tried to change on my mifi unit but generally manged a signal everywhere except on a farm near the Alps.

Vodafone do allow some other roaming providers apart from their own associated companies, I connect to Orange in France regularly even though SFR is available

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back