Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Seems to be working now. Know idea what was wrong before.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 24, 2019
Pocklington, York, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
10 years
Be aware when crossing to Tanger Ville. You have to drive through the middle of the city, no real problem, but on the way out you (& in) you have to drive up a long incline with several sets of traffic lights where local youths suddenly appear and hitch a joyride on the back of trucks, motorhomes and even caravans!!! Jumping off at the next set of lights then back on until they get to the top then cross over and do the same back down. They will cling on to anything, bikeracks, ladders, skylights etc. They think it's a great game especially when you try to chase them off but return as soon as you get back into the van. I intend to use the Tanger med crossing this time!!!

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Be aware when crossing to Tanger Ville. You have to drive through the middle of the city, no real problem, but on the way out you (& in) you have to drive up a long incline with several sets of traffic lights where local youths suddenly appear and hitch a joyride on the back of trucks, motorhomes and even caravans!!! Jumping off at the next set of lights then back on until they get to the top then cross over and do the same back down. They will cling on to anything, bikeracks, ladders, skylights etc. They think it's a great game especially when you try to chase them off but return as soon as you get back into the van. I intend to use the Tanger med crossing this time!!!
When about are you crossing?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say go to ceuta , fill up with fuel . buy beer etc in the duty free shops . leave ceuta and turn right and follow the coast , in places you almost think you can touch Gibraltar it looks that close .
you can almost bypass tangiers then hug the coast again. avoid toll roads use the old local roads . drive slowly wave at the locals smile be happy . drive slow its a great adventure , take every road to the sea, some are dead ends but still a great adventure . some great beaches and places to have a few nights .

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Hi guys,
Monitoring thread with interest. Insurance due for renewal this November so very helpful as heading to Spain in November and then on to Morocco in January. Keep the information flowing. Cheers

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
The LPG is Morocco is quite clean. I used the large bottle's of Butane this year with no issues. However, I did fit a LPG filter between the gas bottle and connecting hose.

You can get spare filter papers and seals from the same company.
Thanks

Surfstar

Free Member
Jul 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner - A class
Exp
Since 2008
Contemplating a trip over mid to late Jan with wife, daughter and two dogs. Just started researching whether taking daughter and dogs is a good idea. Will be following the thread with interest. Also would consider joining a convoy

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Contemplating a trip over mid to late Jan with wife, daughter and two dogs. Just started researching whether taking daughter and dogs is a good idea. Will be following the thread with interest. Also would consider joining a convoy
Taking your dogs and daughter should not present a problem, just do your research and get your dogs vaccinations done. As for joining a convoy, yes a good idea on your first crossing, keep it small as if large there is going to be disagreements and your trip could be spoiled. Once you have crossed you can safely travel on your own. We do it all the time. Two motorhomes travelling together also works well providing you can agree in advance where to go etc., etc.,

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Taking your dogs and daughter should not present a problem,

:devil: Just decide beforehand how many camels you want for the wife/daughter. I got an Arab up to 25 camels for the wife but called it off when we couldn't get them into the garage..........:devil:

Just joking!

I've run a few small "convoys", half a dozen is a nice number, any bigger gets unwieldy when doing the Customs & Immigration bit. But once you're across you'll find it so easy that you'll be quite happy to go off on your own. Keep watching the thread for folk crossing at your desired time - we plan to cross 29th Jan-ish after meeting up with others in Spain.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Insurance renews in december, so I'll check out green card then.
If anyone is worried about gas, I found the easiest way for me, was to buy a hose from gaslow. One end attaches to your external fill point, and the other directly connects to a Moroccan or french bottle with a spanner.
Left outside, attached, when parked up, and put in garage when on the move.
As said, there are other options but this was best for me.
Gas bottles are very cheap in Morocco.

Screenshot_20180809-164052_Facebook.jpg

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think maps.me has a Moroccan map that you can use offline?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I think you will find the gas is quite clean in Morocco. I put 2 13 KG bottles through my system this year and when cleaning the flue after my return found it to be free of soot. Also, I used Butane without a problem, although did not enter Tafroute until mid Feb. I also used one of these between the gas bottle and Gaslow hose which may explain why no soot in the flue.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I also used the hose that Theonlysue bought. The instructions say that you should only use it through an empty refillable bottle but as one bottle got low I just connected up a big Morocco bottle and let it run. Never thought to check if there was anything left in the refillable after I'd disconnected the Moroccan bottle, I just switched to the "spare" bottle (I've got 2 x 6kg, which is why I needed the Moroccan one).

Incidentally you can also buy an adapter for Camping Gaz which fits on the aforementioned hose. This then enables you to use the small gas bottles which are everywhere and ridiculously cheap.

Finally before I travelled last year I fitted a replaceable filter in the line before the regulator. When I got home I checked it to find it as clean as the proverbial whistle, so maybe the stories about dirty gas are not so accurate after all.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
So, sounds like I could take a spare bottle and attach it to my filler point - has anyone else tried this with an underslung tank - shouldn't be any different from Maslow should it?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Is LPG to fill underslung tank available fairly readily?

As far as I'm aware at the moment there is nowhere in Morocco that has the necessary equipment, i.e. a pump connection, to enable recharging refillable systems, which is why I and others use the method above. Motorhomes simply aren't a big enough market for the oil companies to invest in the equipment involved.

I did stay on a campsite offering to refill gas cylinders but it turned out just to be a large tank with an adapter for ordinary (French) gas bottles, using the same method as we've seen the French use to "decant" gas from one bottle to another. Personally I wouldn't go near it.

Yes, ceejayt take a spare bottle if you want or better still do as we do, buy a Moroccan bottle when you get there then sell it/give it away when you've finished with it. I think we paid about £8 for a full 13kg bottle. Saves carting a spare bottle around. The only caveat I would make is that once the spare bottle is empty, according to the Gaslow advice, so will be your underslung tank. I've got twin bottles so can keep one closed off to act as a reserve.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
To be fair, if not needed for heating and only for fridge and maybe cooking occasionally then we can probably go at least 4 weeks

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Dogsense unknown to us all, dabhand couldn't understand why he was using so much on his moroccan sim, until it was worked out that Busman, Unknowingly, was connecting up to dabhands rather than his own lol
Yeah and he's ( dabhand ) not let me forget it lol

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To be fair, if not needed for heating and only for fridge and maybe cooking occasionally then we can probably go at least 4 weeks

But what are you going to do then? IMO you should make some provision, even if it's only buy the hose and Camping Gaz adapter.
Sorry but to me four weeks isn't worth the cost of getting there, if that's all you're planning. But if that's all the time you have........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back