Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Hi,We've not used the insurance at the port and haven't any knowledge of it.But have heard that you can get insurance in Gibraltar as you are near to that it might be an idea to try that route and if you are successful mention that there may be more business for then.By the way we paid about £260 extra last year through Aviva.
Was planning a few days in Gib. So will ask when where there. In the mean time can some one say they have seen the insurance broker at that port dont mean used them just seen them so we know they,re there.
We will also give Saga and Comfort a ring

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Important point raised there. Most Brits go in the period December to April, mainly because (a) it's the wet season before and (b) it gets very very hot after! That said, the wet season seemed to extend into late January this year!

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
NFU wouldn't even quote me unless we put all our insurance through them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Rung comfort they said Morocco was an add on to there Insurance. Works out about £50 a week. So by the time we pay the cancelation fee with our insurance then pay the £50 a week might be better of just getting insurance at the port.
Now I've seen some of these posts will ring comfort again and ask them to double check.
In the mean time been down the beach here
20190925_171239.jpg

It's like a sign telling me to go ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Rung comfort they said Morocco was an add on to there Insurance. Works out about £50 a week. So by the time we pay the cancelation fee with our insurance then pay the £50 a week might be better of just getting insurance at the port.
Now I've seen some of these posts will ring comfort again and ask them to double check.
In the mean time been down the beach hereView attachment 334522
It's like a sign telling me to go ?

It was that sign itself which first prompted us to consider Morocco!!

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
It was that sign itself which first prompted us to consider Morocco!!
TerryL Did you stay at Rio Jara camp site?
Any way just asked in Tarifa travel agent and 230€ opened return ticket. Tarifa, Tangier. The guy also said 50/70€ per month insurance at the port.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
TerryL Did you stay at Rio Jara camp site?
Any way just asked in Tarifa travel agent and 230€ opened return ticket. Tarifa, Tangier. The guy also said 50/70€ per month insurance at the port.

Yep! Wasn't very busy either - just as well as we found the pitches very narrow and folk were pitching on alternatives to give each other room to get an awning out.

Last couple of years "Carlos" has offered open returns at €200. We managed to get a 10% Funster discount by having a small group of vans - did hear that a couple got the discount just by asking (and apparently quoting my name!).

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi guys , we are seriously considering going to Morocco, Probably crossing mid February 2020.

How long do most people go for?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There's no point in incurring the expenses for less than 4 weeks - and in that time you'll be rushing around - Morocco is a big country and you do need to get well south to enjoy the benefits of the warmer, drier weather.

The average seems to be about 8 weeks - which is long enough for us - but folk do go for longer. The visa stamped in your passport is (should be, you might have to ask when it's done) for 3 months, but it is easily extended if necessary. IMO that would probably be long enough to experience pretty much of everything but not give you a lot of "lazing around time". Okay though if you are probably only going to go once - but beware Morocco is addictive.............

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks TerryL for replying, we have to make a choice on insurance, if we go with comfort (who we are with now) or saga for the green card the brake even time is 5 weeks. Comfort is £33 per week plus £20 one off admin fee. Saga is £25 for up to 3 months but more expensive insurance overall for our Moho.

We are lucky not to be tied to time so think we will go with saga and stay for longer.

We are off backpacking in India until December on Tuesday so will sort it out tomorrow before we go.

Also may I ask, apart from the obvious mileage increase does morocco put unnecessary wear and tear on the vans? We’ve just had gas filters fitted. Anything else we should do? Thanks

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
If we go it would be max 6 weeks and that would be going first thing I the new year. But could go back in 21 god willing.
It more trying to find an old hand that is going early in Jan. Some one to hold our hand so to speak.

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
How reliable is the port Insurance (third party only?), does anybody have any experienc?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Yep to third party I have been told. But then Comfort when we asked said theirs was only 3rd party. So may be 3rd party is as good as it gets.
No. Saga's is fully compatible. ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Also may I ask, apart from the obvious mileage increase does morocco put unnecessary wear and tear on the vans? We’ve just had gas filters fitted. Anything else we should do? Thanks

Some of the roads can be, shall we say, a bit "challenging" but as long as you take care they're no worse than many other places - we've just come back from Ireland and some of their roads are awful. I have our van fully serviced before we go and tell Dave (Newell) so he can look out for anything that might become an issue. If you've a mind to carry them a few basic spares could prove handy, but although there's no breakdown services and main dealers are few and far between, any village mechanic will be able to get you going again if you do have a problem. Gas filters are a good idea as sometimes the LPG quality is not the highest, although ours was clean as a whistle after our last trip.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Some of the questions I ask may be to do with my other thread (Morocco for Xmas) We will be limited to no more than 6 week. It's been suggested that this may not be long enough to see every thing.
So given time limits where would old hands head?
How far South is it safe, practical to get?
On one of the threads it says the driving can be interesting is this due to roads or traffic?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Some of the questions I ask may be to do with my other thread (Morocco for Xmas) We will be limited to no more than 6 week. It's been suggested that this may not be long enough to see every thing.
So given time limits where would old hands head?
How far South is it safe, practical to get?
On one of the threads it says the driving can be interesting is this due to roads or traffic?
After leaving Tangier Med port, stay on the Toll road, brim at the first fuel station (Shell about 15-20 minutes away) Then leg it down to Sidi-Ifni via Marrakesh (Keep on the Toll road)( You should not miss the oppertunity to visit Marrakesh). This is assuming you want good weather, hence the Toll road to Sidi Ifni) (2 days) . Plenty of campsites in Sidi Ifni and the weather will be good. From there you could go across to Erg Chebbie, scenic drive. Or, even further south but your limited time is going to be your enemy. From Erg Chebbie you could come back up via Meknes but you might have issues crossing over the mountains at that time of the year so consider just edging back up the coast from Sidi-Ifni. Planty of campsites and nice places to stop at. Unfortunately many of the free wilding spots have been closed down on the coast but loads of cheap aires and campsites and at this time of the year, possibly the best weather and safest route to get back.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Good plan by Phil - but I would leave Marrakesh until the return journey and allow a couple of days. The reason is that Marrakesh, whilst definitely not to be missed, is a tourist trap and for a first time to a Morocco market/souk can be very intimidating with everybody clamouring for attention, offers from "guides" everywhere etc etc. Once you've "done" a couple of other souks, it is all so much easier to handle and IMO you get more out of it. In particular don't miss the changeover in the main square from the various attractions to a massive outdoor restaurant, all completed in less than half an hour and you then have a huge choice of goodies for your dinner.

IMO a good first place to see a proper souk is Taroudante, a walled city with two different examples. Although our visit coincided with Holy day, and many stalls were closed, you still get the flavour without the hassle. There is a recognised motorhome aire but it's also possible to stay just outside the walls in the car-park of a hotel - very popular and easily spotted, but no facilities of course. Taroudante is a couple of hours drive inland from Agadir - but don't use the main road, the newer P road is straighter, better surfaced and faster.

That said, you'll find souks in all of the bigger towns - but don't confuse them with markets where you generally buy foodstuffs and household goods.

Driving interesting, roads or traffic - very much both! Out of town generally, unless it's a main link, it's very quiet but you do have to watch for changes in the quality. In town it's chaotic, you just have to take your time - which you will anyway because town roads are never repaired. On motorways, watch for the speed camera guy - probably hiding in a hedge on the central reservation close to a bridge. There's two motorcyclists a km down the road waiting for you................

Last edited:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I went for eight weeks in 2015, personally I didn’t think it was long enough, still had a great time and am thinking of going again late January but for three months, depends on what conditions change re dogs and insurance etc over the next month or two.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Can one of you enlighten me about gas filters ?
Thanks
The LPG is Morocco is quite clean. I used the large bottle's of Butane this year with no issues. However, I did fit a LPG filter between the gas bottle and connecting hose.

You can get spare filter papers and seals from the same company.

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
Looking at that campsite. Are does Google maps (Direction's) not work in some parts of Morocco. Was just trying to see how far from port it was

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back