Moped Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thinking of adding a moped to our setup. This will go on the back (tow bar mounted).

It has to be a 50cc as the DVLA lost my Cat A and I'm not taking another test. Besides, I only want one for nipping into towns or to supermarkets now and then. Plus I could do with under 100kg if possible?

It's been a long time since I had a moped, so could do with a bit of help.

I don't want to spend more than I have to. What would you recommend?

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
The words nipping and 50cc don't really go together. I would suggest a Honda for maximum performance and reliability.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our son had one of the Chinese scooters it was actually pretty good I would get one from a dealer who can set it up properly for you. Dead easy to derestrict!!!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thinking of adding a moped to our setup. This will go on the back (tow bar mounted).

It has to be a 50cc as the DVLA lost my Cat A and I'm not taking another test. Besides, I only want one for nipping into towns or to supermarkets now and then. Plus I could do with under 100kg if possible?

It's been a long time since I had a moped, so could do with a bit of help.

I don't want to spend more than I have to. What would you recommend?
If the dvla lost my cat A I would be down to Swansea the next working day to help them find it ? I've heard of this incompetence before, in the 1990s a work mate sent for a new licence and it came back without class A, I always keep photographs of my licence.
If all else fails go for a 2 stroke engine, they are more powerful ?

Nov 25, 2019
Dartmouth
Funster No
MH
1990 swift kon tiki
Exp
I,m a newbie
If the dvla lost my cat A I would be down to Swansea the next working day to help them find it ? I've heard of this incompetence before, in the 1990s a work mate sent for a new licence and it came back without class A, I always keep photographs of my licence.
Thats wat happened to mine and only realised a couple years later as sold bike with having kids an wen contacted them they said couldnt find any details off me passing test so would have to take my test again even though they put my entitlement to drive a class one HGV on it even though I never done a test on one

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Don’t send the old license away ?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

The first isn’t a true FS1E as it doesn’t have pedals.

My lad had the fixed foot rests.
Bought it from Sheffield paid around £450 in 2006 sold it in 2007!for the same money.

Daughter “had” to have a Prilla RS 50
Paid £1200 for it sold it for 800 and cost 800 to insurance.

I did try to steer her but she wouldn’t listen and it was her money ??

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
We managed to talk our son into having an MZ50 for £450 instead of a Yamaha50 that was about £2000. He wrecked the MZ in a year so saved himself a few Bob.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Pre 15th August 1977 a moped was basically a Bicycle with pedals with an engine <50cc
Post that date, although it still has to have an engine no bigger than 50cc it has to have a weight less than 250 Kgs, a Max design speed of no more than 30mph (With a 12st rider) and a max Horse power of Oh! I've forgotten.

I wish I didn't know the above but it's stuck in my personal hard drive and it won't erase.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We were at Blanes in Spain a couple of years ago and, next to us were a German couple who had His and Hers Solex Mopeds.
They were the old type Mopeds with a friction wheel attached to the front wheel.
He had sought them out and renovated them to a very high standard.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The first isn’t a true FS1E as it doesn’t have pedals.

My lad had the fixed foot rests.
Bought it from Sheffield paid around £450 in 2006 sold it in 2007!for the same money.

Daughter “had” to have a Prilla RS 50
Paid £1200 for it sold it for 800 and cost 800 to insurance.

I did try to steer her but she wouldn’t listen and it was her money ??

Not only is it not a 'True' FS1E. It's not a Moped.
That is if it was First Registered before 15/8/77.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Pre 15th August 1977 a moped was basically a Bicycle with pedals with an engine <50cc
Post that date, although it still has to have an engine no bigger than 50cc it has to have a weight less than 250 Kgs, a Max design speed of no more than 30mph (With a 12st rider) and a max Horse power of Oh! I've forgotten.

I wish I didn't know the above but it's stuck in my personal hard drive and it won't erase.

My SS50 had pedals and when i once ran out of petrol i tried to pedal it...
Faster walking and pushing... :doh: :rofl:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We were at Blanes in Spain a couple of years ago and, next to us were a German couple who had His and Hers Solex Mopeds.
They were the old type Mopeds with a friction wheel attached to the front wheel.
He had sought them out and renovated them to a very high standard.
I fancy one of those but probably totally impractical

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My SS50 had pedals and when i once ran out of petrol i tried to pedal it...
Faster walking and pushing... :doh: :rofl:

The 'Old' Law re Mopeds didn't say you could enter the 'Tour de France' with it but, towards the back end of the legality when the FS1E and it's like were manufactured, as opposed to the Mobylettes and Raleigh's, it was a Herculean feat to get the wheels turning. I think the Law said "(The Moped) "has pedals by which it can be propelled" Propelled? Yes. Far? Not very!!!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I fancy one of those but probably totally impractical

There are plenty of 'Old' ones out there. They are almost bombproof and, because they don't have batteries, (magneto,) are fairly maintenance free.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Back on topic

Obviously a lot of reminiscing about sixteener specials, which were in fact mopeds

Many mopeds today are 50cc twist & go scooters, which might suit your requirements and normally have better built-in storage for shopping, helmets etc

As others have said, the chinese ones are cheap, if you're handy with the spanners, then it could be an option, especially the better known brands where the quality is improving

Be wary that a lot of secondhand ones will have been a first vehicle for many and liable to have been badly treated

Do you have a budget in mind & have you checked the cost of insurance?

One other thing to check is the weight, many will have the 'dry' weight quoted, check your towbar can take the 'kerbside' weight and that you calculate the actual weight on the rear axle - especially if your van had a big overhang at the rear

Or retake your test & get a motorbike - you know you want to?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Been giving this more thought this week.

I did think about doing another test and getting a proper bike again - but I don't think I'd really use it. I also thought about a 125 (only CBT to ride for 2 years).

Thing is, if I start looking at anything over a 50 I'd also need to carry protective gear. A 50 I'd ride in shorts (no faster than a push bike), but even a 125 I'd wear jeans, gloves and jacket. Not sure I can be bothered when I only really want it to get into towns and supermarkets where difficult to park the van.

The Missus doesn't drive, but likes the idea of doing her CBT so she can also nip to shops etc. I like this idea.

So we have been looking and this is the front runner so far:
NANO.jpg

The Lexmoto Nano. It's cheap new at around £1300, so won't have been mistreated and it's small and light.

Must admit I quite like the looks of it (more importantly, the Missus likes it) - plus it gets good reviews and Lexmoto have a good dealer network.

Thoughts anyone?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
With scooters you simply cannot beat having a ride as they handle quite differently depending on the manufacturer, size of wheels, seat height 'frame' length etc ... we had a couple of 125cc Yamaha Vity scooters and they were okay, but when we tried a Sym RS125 it was like apples and pears, the Sym being much, much better to ride but of course it was heavier.

Check out insurance first as you might get a shock seeing as you don't have a permanent address/storage area for it, hopefully not, but best to be safe.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure of your plans of where you would use your 125 scooter

But apart from checking the insurance, as posted above, the issue with your CBT and a 125 Scooter will mean that your motorcycle license will be provisional and you will need to display L plates

Not an issue if you stay in the mainland UK, but you would not be allowed to ride in the Isle of Man, I think Northern Island may be an issue from December this year and certainly Europe would be a no go

Sorry!

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Well the ped arrived and have to say I love it :)

Seems a lot for the money and surprisingly well built. Also, as it's short, it's quick to turn so a bit of fun.

After a couple of weeks work fitting the rear air, reconing a Watling rack (still waiting for a spacer to fit light board), painting wheels and fitting a towbar, it's done and I'm happy.

IMG_20200524_121412.jpg
IMG_20200524_121420.jpg

Thanks all for the help (y)

Bit of bodywork next.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread