Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
I know many of you have mobility scooters and take them with you when out on the road. I'm considering upgrading my late Mum's scooter for a more robust one for a large man. At the moment I'm not planning to take it in the MH, the garage isn't big enough and as we use a toad a trailer is a non starter.

My real question is how do you transport your scooters (large ones that cannot dismantle) when at home? I live in a village and need to transport one to various events and towns etc. The way I'm considering transporting is with a small trailer, but that brings its own problem when parking in a public car park.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
There are various costly equipment to load one on the rear of a motor home. I have a large shoprider Cadiz, which is very heavy, but what I do is mount the largest but lightest part on a bike type rack at the rear, then the axle unit and the batteries go in one of the lockers, then the seat and front basket go inside. I have a trailer for it, but as you say, it can be a problem when parking, but it's so much easier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I can see your issue. SWMBO`s dismantles and went in the R-V locker, so no issue there. We also have a "Travelscoot" which fold into a Bag (about the size of a golf bag). which can actually go as "Cabin" on most airlines Takes up to 18stone though!.

To load a heavy scoot, onto a Rear rack you will probably have to Uprate your rear suspension, Maybe tyres and even axle?. If you have a Trailer, Is there room to stow it In front Or behind the loaded car?. You have to be aware that this WILL affect the Nose weight though, and possibly the MGW?.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The O-P has a "Toad". We have Friends who load the scooter into the "Toad" with the rear seats folded?. Option?.

Pete

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
personally speaking, i would opt for a power chair rather than a large scooter as it can be loaded inside a vehicle with the use of ramps and takes up far less space if the power chair seat back can be folded down which most of then can be.. :)
the advantages are it and it's electronics are not subjected to the weather outside a vehicle, can be used inside buildings, ie shops, pubs etc if needed.. :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
have a look at this baby.....an adapted golf buggy, very robust, good off road and dismantleable (y) According to their website they do a larger version for bigger people. Broken Link Removed Just a bit pricey :(

OP
OP
Hillbum

Hillbum

Free Member
Jun 4, 2013
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
One year
Thanks for all the suggestions. Considering getting a smaller scooter that will break down and either go in 'toad' or the locker, although that's usually full.
Collecting a purpose made trailer tomorrow for the large All Terrain, one that folds flat, or as flat as possible and therefore makes for easier site/home storage.
I was interested in the hydrolic ones using the towbar, but both the car and MH have a swan neck hook and cannot be used.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
My husband has a battery powered wheelchair. The battery's come out to be stored in a locker and the chair folds up like a normal wheelchair. Think it takes up to 30 stone. We have found this has been the best option for us. It's been useful and reliable.

Rick C

Free Member
May 7, 2015
Sheffield UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx van conversion
Exp
Since 2011
I have a Quingo scooter which we move around (in one piece) on an Easylifter platform which bolts to the towbar plate once the ball is removed. Been all round France and Iberia with it. Wife is now adept with ratchet straps!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I bought a couple of these off the bay cheaply as the li-on batteries were duff. Had them converted to gell batteries, and they both fit inside a hatchback with the seats folded down. They both fit into the fiver locker when away and we also use them for flights back and forth as they can be transported by air.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
image.jpg
Steves chair is an Energi + make. We found we can take the batteries off and manhandle it into the MH to travel. It fits in the car perfectly. This idea wasn't particularly successful. Hence the hauling it into the MH which was easier than we thought. Those covers are great. Do a really good job at protecting the chair from the weather.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back