Mis selling a motorhome (1 Viewer)

max taylor

Free Member
Mar 25, 2024
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
In Oct 2022 and because it was winter it went into storage. We took it out in March 2023 for a short run and the petrol gauge and fuel gauge were not working. It went back to the garage and were then told it was all fixed. In April we took it out for a short holiday to Wales. The weather was quite bad the first night to our dismay the roof leaked and my granddaughter and her bedding were soaked and also the sink tap flooded we had to go home. We then took it back to the garage and was supposedly repaired, we went back out again to wales at the end of May and they replaced the tap but had not secured the pipes correctly and the Motorhome flooded once again. When we started the Motorhome to come home it would not start. RAC were called out and said the battery was faulty. Took it back to the garage yet again and was told the rac was talking rubbish apparently there was nothing wrong with the battery. Took it out for a 4th time and this time black smoke was billowing out of the exhaust and the RAC were called out again who then told us it was not drivable as the injectors had failed we waited for 14 hours for the Motorhome to be towed back to the garage, there were over 17 faults on the Motorhome which couldn’t be checked prior to actually taking it out so by this time we decided enough was enough and we wanted our full money back. Our insurance company provided legal support which have told us they can’t pursuit the case because they can not check if the dealership is financially viable. We are at our wits end now and if anybody has been in a similar situation and has any advice I would be so grateful. Many thanks

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
In Oct 2022 and because it was winter it went into storage. We took it out in March 2023 for a short run and the petrol gauge and fuel gauge were not working. It went back to the garage and were then told it was all fixed. In April we took it out for a short holiday to Wales. The weather was quite bad the first night to our dismay the roof leaked and my granddaughter and her bedding were soaked and also the sink tap flooded we had to go home. We then took it back to the garage and was supposedly repaired, we went back out again to wales at the end of May and they replaced the tap but had not secured the pipes correctly and the Motorhome flooded once again. When we started the Motorhome to come home it would not start. RAC were called out and said the battery was faulty. Took it back to the garage yet again and was told the rac was talking rubbish apparently there was nothing wrong with the battery. Took it out for a 4th time and this time black smoke was billowing out of the exhaust and the RAC were called out again who then told us it was not drivable as the injectors had failed we waited for 14 hours for the Motorhome to be towed back to the garage, there were over 17 faults on the Motorhome which couldn’t be checked prior to actually taking it out so by this time we decided enough was enough and we wanted our full money back. Our insurance company provided legal support which have told us they can’t pursuit the case because they can not check if the dealership is financially viable. We are at our wits end now and if anybody has been in a similar situation and has any advice I would be so grateful. Many thanks
Your insurance company is talking BS, they can check company house accounts to see if there is an issue, they can use credit agencies to determine if the dealership is having problems.
I think your problem is that you should have done a few ‘shake down’ trips in the MH soon after purchase so you could find the issues now have, but that doesn’t help you. I assume you have had an independent engineers report detailing the issues and causes, if not maybe now is the time.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What warranty came with the van when you purchased it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
You might need a solicitor's advice and a letter from them to the dealer - a letter before legal action is taken!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

max taylor

Free Member
Mar 25, 2024
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
Your insurance company is talking BS, they can check company house accounts to see if there is an issue, they can use credit agencies to determine if the dealership is having problems.
I think your problem is that you should have done a few ‘shake down’ trips in the MH soon after purchase so you could find the issues now have, but that doesn’t help you. I assume you have had an independent engineers report detailing the issues and causes, if not maybe now is the time.
That sounds like a good idea, could you possibly tell us where we could find an engineer that could give us a report. We did approach citizens advice on the 4th incident and they assured us that according to the consumers rights act with the evidence we supplied to them that we had a legal right to our money back we had lost all confidence in this Motorhome by this time. My husband and I are both getting on so it’s all been a bit overwhelming.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

max taylor

Free Member
Mar 25, 2024
Funster No
MH
peugeot boxer
You might need a solicitor's advice and a letter from them to the dealer - a letter before legal action is taken!
That’s what I wanted from this solicitors but they seem very reluctant to do this for us because they’re saying he’s not financially viable for any claim but my husband and I worked out on his website that this man has £1,732000.00 worth of vehicles on his lot.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That’s what I wanted from this solicitors but they seem very reluctant to do this for us because they’re saying he’s not financially viable for any claim but my husband and I worked out on his website that this man has £1,732000.00 worth of vehicles on his lot.
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances with the van.

Regrettably, your calculation of the value of stock held by the dealer may not reflect the financial viability of the business.

Many dealers have their vehicle stock financed with loans and don't own the capital value of the vans.

I hope you can find a route to resolve your difficulties.

Upvote 0

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances with the van.

Regrettably, your calculation of the value of stock held by the dealer may not reflect the financial viability of the business.

Many dealers have their vehicle stock financed with loans and don't own the capital value of the vans.

I hope you can find a route to resolve your difficulties.

They also broker vans for individuals so may not actually own some of them.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
That sounds like a good idea, could you possibly tell us where we could find an engineer that could give us a report. We did approach citizens advice on the 4th incident and they assured us that according to the consumers rights act with the evidence we supplied to them that we had a legal right to our money back we had lost all confidence in this Motorhome by this time. My husband and I are both getting on so it’s all been a bit overwhelming.
Where abouts are you in the country ?
Regarding his stock, many of the MHs may be sat on his lot as commissions sales, so technically still owned by campers.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’m known on here for not really liking dealers…🤔 but you do have a duty of care to your van, leaving it in storage for so long before you truly tested everything and some of your post problems my well be that you did not fully winterise your van for the winter, broken taps, burst pipes and knackerd batteries are typical symptoms of a van not being prepared for winter storage..

I’m afraid you are on a road to spending some money, whether that’s throwing money away trying to get some back or fixing the problems elsewhere and using it or moving it on…

It’s probably not what you want to hear but I’m afraid we have seen it many times on here…

Best of luck

Upvote 0

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
I have to admit that it sounds like they didn't get the van ready for winter like someone else said

Also it's £20 why wouldn't you pay it after spend a small fortune on a house on wheel

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’m known on here for not really liking dealers…🤔 but you do have a duty of care to your van, leaving it in storage for so long before you truly tested everything and some of your post problems my well be that you did not fully winterise your van for the winter, broken taps, burst pipes and knackerd batteries are typical symptoms of a van not being prepared for winter storage..

I’m afraid you are on a road to spending some money, whether that’s throwing money away trying to get some back or fixing the problems elsewhere and using it or moving it on…

It’s probably not what you want to hear but I’m afraid we have seen it many times on here…

Best of luck
I think you read my mind Garry it appears most of the faults were self inflicted so I don't think he has a leg to stand on.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Said it before and I'll say it again.
NAME AND SHAME THE DEALER!
You probably won't get satisfaction with or without solicitors ripping you off, but you'll feel good and possibly do others a favour.
Caveat, make sure of your facts.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Be very very careful. If an insurers solicitor has deemed the dealership not financially secure enough to recover the money, it puts you in dangerous territory. It seems to happen every year or two where a dealership struggling along on credit folds in cases like this. If you happen to have handed back the van and keys awaiting a promised refund and they call the receivers in, you lose the van and the money owed. Have seen this happen several times over the years

My best advice is have it repaired and sell the van if you have lost faith in it

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

That’s not how I read it. Just be careful. If you have first hand experience then we welcome your honest reviews, otherwise, rather than your libellous statement, let’s keep it factual and in the review section. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back