Mirror with clamp for driveway? (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I have to park my PVC very close to a fence, so close I have to tuck in the passenger mirror before advancing. I'd like to position a stationery mirror at the top of the drive so that I can see the leeway as I drive up. It would need to clamp onto a pole 3-4" diameter, be big enough to help from 30' (10-12"+?) and fairly robust to sit out there in the weather.

Anyone seen something similar or parts that might fit together easily?

Thanks (y)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
In the past I've fitted mirrors in private drug clinics they were virtually impossible to break or shatter although some of the patients did try also installed them in showers.

From memory they were 10mm & reasonably flexible so easily bent to give a convex wide angle view.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Google 'highway mirrors', there are several types at various prices

Thanks, didn't find any under that, but it led me onto Traffic, Road and Towing Mirrors. Still looking though as most are convex and round and I could do with a plain oblong or square one.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Thanks, didn't find any under that, but it led me onto Traffic, Road and Towing Mirrors. Still looking though as most are convex and round and I could do with a plain oblong or square one.
Have a look at both types first as the flat ones give no magnifying effect so can be very difficult to judge if you still have a gap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Maybe not fully understanding the issue but what about a temporary fitted (with velcro type stuff) wireless rear view camera pointing down the side of the van and you could watch your progress on a monitor?:unsure:

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Thanks - I was trying to avoid a convex one as I'm not sure that a distorted view will be much use when I've only a few inches to play with (as it were :rolleyes:). Any van mounted camera would have to point forward first and then down so that I could line up accurately ... looks like I'll have to buy a convex one as that's all they seem to do that's big enough.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lots of standard household mirrors can be used outside as they don't have the 'mirror' backing on but are a sort of plastic/acrylic composite - have a trip to the shops (B&M, The Range, B&Q etc) and take a shuftie at them!

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Lots of standard household mirrors can be used outside as they don't have the 'mirror' backing on but are a sort of plastic/acrylic composite - have a trip to the shops (B&M, The Range, B&Q etc) and take a shuftie at them!

Thanks @Minxy Girl but I'm not great with DIY I tried a couple of household mirrors but they all broke when I nailed the fixing bolts on. Guess I'm just unlucky that way ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks @Minxy Girl but I'm not great with DIY I tried a couple of household mirrors but they all broke when I nailed the fixing bolts on. Guess I'm just unlucky that way ;)
... you didn't by any chance LOOK into them did you .... :D

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I have to park my PVC very close to a fence, so close I have to tuck in the passenger mirror before advancing. I'd like to position a stationery mirror at the top of the drive so that I can see the leeway as I drive up. It would need to clamp onto a pole 3-4" diameter, be big enough to help from 30' (10-12"+?) and fairly robust to sit out there in the weather.

Anyone seen something similar or parts that might fit together easily?

Thanks (y)

When I had to park mine on a single driveway
Between us and the neighbours
I used a piece of 2x1 timber with an old style wing mirror attached
Held out of the passenger window
Eventually mastered it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When I had to park mine on a single driveway
Between us and the neighbours
I used a piece of 2x1 timber with an old style wing mirror attached
Held out of the passenger window
Eventually mastered it
We have the same on our driveway as we had to reverse into a 'U' shaped parking spot between fencing and our other MHs were shorter hence the nearside mirror had to be folded in to fit down the side of the fencing on that side - an old car wing mirror did the trick nicely but I fear for the OP unless he got something like an old van/truck mirror it would give a big enough view.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
here is a nice flat one for you

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Apologies if I didn't explain very well ... the drive and the van are about the same size, there's little 'wriggle room' so the trick is to be lined up before you get to the fence. I want a mirror that can be positioned roughly where I've taken this picture from. It needs to have fittings to attach to a 4" diameter pole - U bolts or something (y)

20170924_130619.jpg

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK, I know I'm being thick but why can't you mount a wireless camera where the photo was taken from with the monitor on the dash of the motorhome?:unsure:

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
OK, I know I'm being thick but why can't you mount a wireless camera where the photo was taken from with the monitor on the dash of the motorhome?:unsure:

Not a thick question at all. I suppose the answer is that I am looking for something as cheap and simple (and reliable) as possible.

A wireless camera sounds like it would need a network to relay the picture to the van, which would need some way of picking it up and a screen to display it. It sounds technically difficult, expensive and less reliable - compared with a mirror.

I also seem to remember that there are rules about pointing cameras out onto the street.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back