Micro camper / daily driver choices? (1 Viewer)

lifeofbrian

Free Member
Oct 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
new
Hi all. I'd like to replace my current car with a micro camper. This will be my only vehicle, it will be my daily commute (50 miles) so it will have to be no bigger than small van/mpv size, economical and reliable. If every mechanic I've ever known didn't tell me never to buy a used French car, the Peugeot Partner or similar would be perfect. My dad also had a used/nearly new 307 that he spent literally over a thousand a year to keep on the road. So I think French and also Italian vehicles are probably off limits. But never say never.

I was thinking Vauxhall Zafira, but would that have enough headroom for me (6ft) to sit upright on a sofa bed? It will be used for no more than the odd night away, and regular trips for my hobby(rc racing) so would still look like a regular car on the outside.

I'd like a vehicle with a single rear door that opens upwards, and probably a diesel, but the Zafira 1.6 is pretty economical. I'd like to know what else is out there and is good for my needs. Any tips?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
B2988F41-7414-482B-9B72-3F32D6DA4DDE.png

Do some research on Google. You will be surprised what you can find.

A Zaphira is hardly a micro camper it’s just an estate car. All you can do with that is stick a mattress in the back. It will be freezing cold in winter as it’s just a steel box with a lot of glass. Estate cars do not have any insulation in the floors, doors or roof to keep them warm in the winter months.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had a 1.6 petrol Zafira estate. I'm 5' 7" and considered using it just for weekend camps but couldn't lay flat in it with the rear seats down.
I previously had three Bedford Bambis which were great but slow. They're getting very long in the tooth - rust problems mainly. Very few half-decent ones about now.
I also had two Romahomes (1.9 Citroen diesel based) which were brilliant and very reliable and economical.
You might consider the Mazda Bongo camper suitable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I wouldn't get to bothered about buying a second hand French vehicle, after all most motorhomes are on the Fiat/Peugeot van chassis/engine and most on the road are second or more hand.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I had a 1.6 petrol Zafira estate. I'm 5' 7" and considered using it just for weekend camps but couldn't lay flat in it with the rear seats down.
I previously had three Bedford Bambis which were great but slow. They're getting very long in the tooth - rust problems mainly. Very few half-decent ones about now.
I also had two Romahomes (1.9 Citroen diesel based) which were brilliant and very reliable and economical.
You might consider the Mazda Bongo camper suitable.

Bongos are the right size to be a daily driver, but not so good for a 50 mile commute due to heavy fuel consumption. On their forum you will see that 30mpg is typical which is pretty awful for a diesel nowadays. You can get petrol Bongos which could be OK if you have to drive into one of the new Low Emission Zones to get to work. I would be looking at a newer Romahome.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've never been in or driven the Bongo but didn't like the beds in the lifting roof design. I believe that access to the cupboards/storage is restricted when the downstairs 'rock 'n roll' bed is made up.
I averaged only 32mpg with my 1.6 petrol Zafira (had it 7 years, regularly serviced) and I'm not a racer by any means.

@lifeofbrian
Have you browsed the 'Small motorhomes' section on here?

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/small_motorhome/

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
For me, bongos are a good vehicle, but they were never officially imported & are very long in the tooth these days. So no longer a good choice

A few years back, I would also be wary of French cars, but if you look at things like the JD power surveys, you will find that Citroën/puegeot have improved whist vw/Mercedes have got worse in recent years

As I've posted before, I chose a Peugeot over a VW or Mercedes due to rust issues on the German offerings

That said, the ubiquitous VW T5 is a good choice as a camper as they are very popular, but hardly a micro camper

As, others have said look at the Berlingos & get a mechanic with more up to date views:)

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My wife has the Peugeot Partner Tepee and it has been a dream to own and drive. Good high driving position, good space and very reliable - That's blown it:oops:. Extra large load carrying for her work as a mobile blinds fitter.

Upvote 0

Suvvi

Free Member
Sep 14, 2018
East Lothian
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer conversion
Exp
Caravan's and tents to date..
Nissan nv200 could be a fair shout for your requirements...

Upvote 0
Jun 1, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Micro campervan
Exp
Since 2012
I 've had a Nissan NV 200 converted and love it. I have the van back doors but you can have the car version with upward opening converted

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Vauxhall vivaro are not that big

or bit smaller

The Caddy is not that much smaller than a SWB T4 or T5 camper. On the outside, anyhow. Inside they are chalk and cheese.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I run both Vivaro Sportive and Vito Sport X at work.
Both are a lovely drive and make excellent daily drivers, Vivaro gets mid thirties mpg, Vito around 30mpg but is 3.0 auto

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Vivaro, primastar good sized vans easy to drive great economy and not bad for space.
Vw t4 camper.
Those would be my choices
I used to say second hand French cars were crap too but I've had 5 Renault kangoo vans a good few clios and Peugeots and never really had bother with any off them.

I've had 2 zafiras though and I wouldn't have another ....in fact I wouldn't have another Vauxhall...everyone I've owned had electrical problems and they are famous for engine management faults

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back