Mercedes vario 814 self build bus to FLT palace (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Good on yer! Tam. I wouldn't't know whether the welding was good or bad but it certainly looks one hell uv a lot better.
The more you do the better you'll get.
Where are you goi g to stash the gas a d welding gear wben you are not usi g it?
Its all inside the van ...its like a shed in there at present but its the only place i can store everything. Its well ventilated so no chance of it getting too hot etc .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What thickness of steel plate did you get for that? Amazing how a grinder and buffing disc can transform a project. Looks good (y)
Used 1.2mm for this as non structural and same as the original. Yeah grinder and a bit filler before undercoat... This is a water drain area so it helps to keep it nice and smooth..ill overcoat with some gloss paint and that should be a bit better for drainage.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Welding is one of those things the more you do the better you get
Not true, I've been welding for around 18 years and I'm still shit :LOL:

20210623_082239.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Looking good. I believe from the car forums that there are on line sheet steel suppliers who deliver to the door.
Yes thats the plan for the rest of it ...ive got a number from the blacksmith for a metal supplier so i just need to figure what i need for doing everything including the windows and I'll get it delivered next week .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I tell you, Tam, i get scared everytime i see more pictures. Your a very brave man. But what you have done looks good to my untrained eyes.
Keep going & good luck.
It always looks bad when its all stripped down and cut out ...but starts to look good when you fettle with it .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeh, that’s shit :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Give him some tips Tam 👍
I used to weld heavy stuff like that for a job 20 years ago ...train chassis , tank simulators , heavy security grates etc ...hence my concern about welding thin sill panels etc ...and I can't fabricate for toffee. Even cutting these wee bits with tinsnips etc is a pain ....what id give for a guillotine and bender lol

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It’s getting the gas and wire speed right as well as the power so you don’t get bird shit, I quite got used to my welding looking like bird shit to be honest :whistle2:

:giggler::giggler:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I use Hobbyweld (Dixon Gas) from my local welding supplier. I think argoshield is around £50 for a 9litre bottle and there's a one off deposit of around £50 which you get refunded (less admin charge) if you return the bottle. There's no rental charges involved.
Steel prices have gone through the roof this year and there's also a shortage too. Our stockist won't hold prices for more than a day on any quotes.
I bought 50mm box from a scrap yard (very rusty) for £20/6m, the stockholder wanted £60 a length and I also bought some 2mm galvanised 8'x4' sheets for £20 each, which was a bargain, but no good for welding.
But on the plus side, it's nice to see some tin going back on the bus !

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I use Hobbyweld (Dixon Gas) from my local welding supplier. I think argoshield is around £50 for a 9litre bottle and there's a one off deposit of around £50 which you get refunded (less admin charge) if you return the bottle. There's no rental charges involved.
Steel prices have gone through the roof this year and there's also a shortage too. Our stockist won't hold prices for more than a day on any quotes.
I bought 50mm box from a scrap yard (very rusty) for £20/6m, the stockholder wanted £60 a length and I also bought some 2mm galvanised 8'x4' sheets for £20 each, which was a bargain, but no good for welding.
But on the plus side, it's nice to see some tin going back on the bus !
Aye thats the gas i got ...its about £70 deposit here and £30 summit for refill ...plus vat so £110 all in but ill get the deposit back when im done with it ...next year sometime lol

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Got anywhere local who can bend it for you if you take in patterns?
Im hoping so ...ive a couple of places to try for the sills to be bent as i have one small section here that ill get them to copy in metre lengths

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Very long shot this Tam......

When I retired sometime last century, I fancied doing some welding as we had bought a smallholding so I enrolled at an Agricultual College on a welding course (1 evening a week/6 weeks)
Got hands on with a lot of different kit and a lot of help from the Tutor.

Importantly, you were allowed to take your own 'projects' in with you. Nothing like that near you?

I can't weld for toffee but my scaffolding tower which I 'repaired' is still intact. :frowny:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Very long shot this Tam......

When I retired sometime last century, I fancied doing some welding as we had bought a smallholding so I enrolled at an Agricultual College on a welding course (1 evening a week/6 weeks)
Got hands on with a lot of different kit and a lot of help from the Tutor.

Importantly, you were allowed to take your own 'projects' in with you. Nothing like that near you?

I can't weld for toffee but my scaffolding tower which I 'repaired' is still intact. :frowny:
Ha ...theres a college nearby for sure but i doubt they would get this in there. If the weather holds up ill get a fair bit done over the next couple of weeks. But i have blooming jury duty from the 26th which im hoping is over quick

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Im hoping so ...ive a couple of places to try for the sills to be bent as i have one small section here that ill get them to copy in metre lengths
It's not too bad. I have seen worse. I did warn you weeks back that welding thin steel that's even thinner through rust was nothing like the proper welding you have done and you can't expect the same neat results.

You kind of get the hang on learning to live with it. Go easy on the grinder though as you weaken it and make it even thinner. I suppose that's fine on non structural bits that are visible. Better to weld it proper then knock it in with a panel beating hammer and finish with a skin of filler. No shame on that

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back