Menu Del Dia (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I do try when I'm in Spain but I'm still embarrassingly bad at ordering food when in the Restaurants where no one speaks English.

If there is a menu on the table I don't mind going through it and translating all the dishes on my phone and ordering what ever I fancy but if there aint a menu handy, I'm screwed.

Was at little place earlier and I was sure I had ordered only the cod and asparagus stew. I Wasn't complaining when I was brought a tuna(?) salad first followed by the cod stew and then after I finish off mopping that up with the bread I was quite full.

Queue the hake (or some other fish) with chips and sauce appearing in front of me.

I'd obviously chosen stuff that was on the menu del dia so I presume this is always 3 courses?

Anyway going back tomorrow to have another shottie.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I can’t believe how much some of the Europeans eat to be honest.

I had a 3 course meal last Saturday for the first time in years and I didn’t really get back to normal for 2-3 days.

If it wasn’t for the beer I would be skinny.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Four courses, including a salad, and drink are the norm for a menu del dia. In this part of Spain, anyway.

We've just found a restaurant, right on the marina at Puerto Mazarron, that's the best value yet.
€10 with an extra €1.20 if you have a coffee as well. Normal menu price but the food is exceptional.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
'd obviously chosen stuff that was on the menu del dia so I presume this is always 3 courses?
Usually 3 courses - a choice of 2 or 3 starters, a choice iof 2 or 3 mains and a choice of puds + one drink (beer, wine, soft drink or coffee). Around here usually between €9 to €12. Sometimes you'll see a cheaper one for €7 - €9 which will say "sin bebida" (drink not included) or "dos platos" (Just two courses).

Deleted User
Quite often a Menu del Dia will start off with a plain salad, occasionally a tuna salad, then a first course which is often the most substantial and what we would consider the main dish can be simply a piece of meat or fish with a few vegetables.

They tend to vary a lot depending on location but are invariably good value, sometimes the menu is outside on a board and the waiter rattles off the options in the Spanish manner so we usually make our minds up before we go in.

I am quite conversant with the written menus but have difficulty sometime in the places that don't have a proper written menu but the waiter will usually show you his list.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I can’t believe how much some of the Europeans eat to be honest.

I had a 3 course meal last Saturday for the first time in years and I didn’t really get back to normal for 2-3 days.

If it wasn’t for the beer I would be skinny.

You've got a point. Although I did read that lunch is the most important meal in Spain so maybe they just have a few pringles or something for tea/supper/evening meal.

Also explains why, if they do have an evening meal, it's not till 10pm or so. They're still all stuffed from lunch.

Im already planning skipping breakfast tomorrow in preparation for round 2 of menu del dia :D

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My meal yesterday for €10.

IMG_20190123_141942.jpg
IMG_20190123_143213.jpg
IMG_20190123_144757.jpg
IMG_20190104_151351.jpg

With a bottle of white wine between 2.

IMG_20190104_141206.jpg

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Wow @jumartoo you'll need to tell me what you've got there. I mean, salad obviously but what's the other tasty looking dishes?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Loads of Spanish restaurants around La Manga and we have tried quite a few over the years with many being 10 euros.

I'm not far away at all. Probably be stopping at La Manga in a day or so. Been a beautiful day here today.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Mixed salad with a deep fried camembert.

Aubergines with a maple type syrup and mixed fruits (it was a bit sweet for me, I normally have their nachos but fancied a change, but i ate it anyway)

Liver, bacon, onions and (surprise) mashed potatoes and gravy (I think they are catering a bit for foreigners although it is a Spanish owned restaurant)

Pan de Calatrava (Spanish bread pudding) They have a choice of 8 or 9 different desserts.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Aubergines with a maple type syrup
Berenjenas. Thin slices of aubergine in a thin tempura style batter, deep fried until crispy on the outside but soft in the middle. Traditionally served with miel de caña, which is the thin molasses from local sugar cane.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Berenjenas. Thin slices of aubergine in a thin tempura style batter, deep fried until crispy on the outside but soft in the middle. Traditionally served with miel de caña, which is the thin molasses from local sugar cane.

That's it!!!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
My meal yesterday for €10.

With a bottle of white wine between 2.

Yes, we were surprised that sometimes when the two of us have had the menu del dia (instead called menu diario sometimes) the included drink has actually been a bottle of wine rather than two glasses. Or maybe they took one look at us and thought 'Nah, one glass ain't gonna be enough'.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@jumartoo
Looks like a nice meal. We have tried a couple of those restaurants in the past and they were only average.

Will have to revisit I think!!

Looking forward to the market at Puerta on Sunday for the roast chicken stall. Full spit roast chicken cooked in front of you , a carton of roast potatoes, fresh bread, and a carton of garlic gravy made from the chicken juices. €11
Got to watch our wallets/purses though as our friend had her purse lifted there last year.
Barry

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Queue the hake (or some other fish) with chips and sauce appearing in front of me.

Never seen so much hake (merluza?) than on last month's trip to Spain. Restaurants, markets, shops were full of the stuff -- is there a season for it or is it always that prolific? Pretty tasty fish, though.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Never seen so much hake (merluza?) than on last month's trip to Spain. Restaurants, markets, shops were full of the stuff -- is there a season for it or is it always that prolific? Pretty tasty fish, though.

I suppose for us brits it's uncommon to have so many different varieties of the cod family on the menu. Back home its cod, huddock or a mock chop supper.

I'll admit that haddock is extra tasty but if you are doing a pie or stew, you could quite easy substitute cod with hake, pollock, coal fish etc.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Four courses, including a salad, and drink are the norm for a menu del dia. In this part of Spain, anyway.

We've just found a restaurant, right on the marina at Puerto Mazarron, that's the best value yet.
€10 with an extra €1.20 if you have a coffee as well. Normal menu price but the food is exceptional.

Any names of premises please?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're in Spain. A few days ago we had a "del dia" meal at Imperium Alicante campsite restaurant at €11.50 each - substantial starter, generous "main" course and a sweet plus any drink of choice - four of us all had different and it was all of excellent standard despite it being quite a small place and we hadn't booked......

Last night we tried the restaurant attached to Camping El Pina at Torrex, near Nerja, and enjoyed probably the best meal out we've ever had anywhere, this time selecting from the a la carte menu, which was also in English (although one or two items got "lost in translation" methinks!). Huge salads, grills (definitely the best steak I have ever eaten) that were still sizzling on the earthenware plates - we simply couldn't manage afters. With drinks the bill for the two of us was exactly €50.

We're not really restaurant people, she is a bit picky when it comes to "foreign food", but we're now eating out more than we used to. And discovering that there is some great culinary experiences around.

Deleted User

Merluza is the numero uno white fish in Spain, don't see much fresh cod and don't remember ever seeing haddock (eglefino).

When I was a lad and we had proper fish shops in the UK silver hake was popular, I think a lot of the Merluza is a slightly different species from the south atlantic, a lot of it in Portugal is marked as originating in Chile.

Hake is a quality white fish, some would say more delicate than cod and far superior to coalfish or pollock.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Whats its name please,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Had our fill at two 'proper' tapas bars this aft. €1 per vino tinto and average of €1.30 each for 7 tapas inc pigs ears, revuelta and blood! .

We will visit Mazarron again when we get the next van.

One of our favourite stops in Spain,,love it. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back