LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
Only been touring Spain for 2 weeks and I am turning into a right chubster.
While in Denia menu del dia
4 starters,main course,pudding, and drink 12euro each :whistle:

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Menu del dia - how do they do it for the price? Why bother cooking in the van.
Best ever was a little place that looked like a Chinese in what used to be the sardine capital of Spain on the north coast. Fabulous and €8 with bottle of wine. It was a couple of years ago mind.
Another place we went in by the side of the road was full of Spanish so always a good indication. We got half of the portion size compared to the locals and only one bottle of wine instead of one each. The meal was actually enough for us but you can't help but feel cheated when it was €12

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Menu del dia - how do they do it for the price? Why bother cooking in the van.
Best ever was a little place that looked like a Chinese in what used to be the sardine capital of Spain on the north coast. Fabulous and €8 with bottle of wine. It was a couple of years ago mind.
Another place we went in by the side of the road was full of Spanish so always a good indication. We got half of the portion size compared to the locals and only one bottle of wine instead of one each. The meal was actually enough for us but you can't help but feel cheated when it was €12

Bernie if we meet up around here we'll go to Viggos with you.

Any excuse ...

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just found another nice place to eat - with a difference!
Had a bike ride beyond Isla Plana towards La Azohia. On the way back into Isla Plana we spotted a sign for a Chirengita towards the beach. Followed the prom round until we saw what we thought was the chirengita..

IMG_20190126_132218.jpg

Turns out it wasn't but all the Spanish seemed to be picnicking there.
Asked around and was directed to the supermarket where we got a four pack of Amstel beer, freshly baked baguette, pack of cheese, chorizo, tin of olives, two tomatoes, pack of crisps, & a tub of coleslaw €7.40 and spent two hours eating alfresco in the sun with these views...

IMG_20190126_132624.jpg

IMG_20190126_132203.jpg

Barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Had a bike ride beyond Isla Plana towards La Azohia. On the way back into Isla Plana we spotted a sign for a Chirengita towards the beach. Followed the prom round until we saw what we thought was the chirengita..

View attachment 279421

Asked around and was directed to the supermarket where we got a four pack of Amstel beer, freshly baked baguette, pack of cheese, chorizo, tin of olives, two tomatoes, pack of crisps, & a tub of coleslaw €7.40 and spent two hours eating alfresco in the sun with these views...

View attachment 279422

View attachment 279423

Barry

That's the way to do it!!:)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

View attachment 279421

View attachment 279422

View attachment 279423

Barry
Thats the Social Club,,,been going in there since 2004..Changes stewardship now and again.sometimes for the better or worse..Decent Tapas usually at a weekend....Was a big wild camping spot 10 odd years ago before they built the flats on the front,,,Excellent family restaurant across the road called La Maison,, BUSBY..

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Wine and small beer
in the club there are one euro,,been that price since i have been going in.. Quite often have live music on there...Spanish/English lessons on a tue i think,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@namwaldog I thought I recognised the pics. I was there yesterday, it was all closed up so I went across the road for lunch. That's where I impressed all the locals with my fluent Spanish food ordering skills that were the inspiration for this thread :LOL:

I'm parked up at the big camping spot just along at La Azohia.

Did you go up to the 'Torre de Santa Elena' on your cycling trip? Well worth the hill climb just for the views.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@monzer ,
No we didn't get down as far as where you are parked, just as far as Las madrilles but decided to turn back as the road was as if it was finishing time at the biggest car factory in the world.
It was nose to tail cars whizzing past us all the way so we went down some back roads to the beach and worked our way back from there.
Curiously, when we got back on the main road to Puerta, there was only about three cars passed us!!
Have you managed to get anywhere level on that ground?
We tried there last year and it was so packed, the only space left was 1 in ten or worse.
@busby,
The club itself was all locked up when we were there bet 1230 &1430 today
Don't know if its temporary or not , couldn't see any signs.
Barry

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
@monzer ,

Not totally level but the shower empties real easy for a change ;)

Was going to move on tomorrow but its so nice here I think I'll stay another day.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
@monzer ,
No we didn't get down as far as where you are parked, just as far as Las madrilles but decided to turn back as the road was as if it was finishing time at the biggest car factory in the world.
It was nose to tail cars whizzing past us all the way so we went down some back roads to the beach and worked our way back from there.
Curiously, when we got back on the main road to Puerta, there was only about three cars passed us!!
We tried there last year and it was so packed, the only space left was 1 in ten or worse.
@busby,
The club itself was all locked up when we were there bet 1230 &1430 today
Don't know if its temporary or not , couldn't see any signs.
Barry
Never seen it locked up before..Have some friends in Isla Plana,,will ask them whats going on.BUSBY.

Nov 9, 2016
France or Spain!
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo 687t
Exp
Since 2015
The social club at Isla Plana was closed down a month or so ago due to licensing issues (something to do with serving hot food without a licence I believe). Not sure if/when it will re-open. Such a shame as it was a popular lunch stop for us on our cycle rides.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Yes, we were surprised that sometimes when the two of us have had the menu del dia (instead called menu diario sometimes) the included drink has actually been a bottle of wine rather than two glasses. Or maybe they took one look at us and thought 'Nah, one glass ain't gonna be enough'.

I used to lunch every day at a wonderful little place just off Plaza Ayuntamiento in central Valencia. M del D was 6€ - primero/segundo/postres + drink. Whatever drink I had, they never charged for the 2nd one. It was a real 'local', everything made by them on the spot. It was always packed, from 12:00 till 16:00

Then one year I turned up and it had been replaced by a branch of a chain/franchise. The place was empty.

Deleted User
Yes, we were surprised that sometimes when the two of us have had the menu del dia (instead called menu diario sometimes) the included drink has actually been a bottle of wine rather than two glasses. Or maybe they took one look at us and thought 'Nah, one glass ain't gonna be enough'.

Occasionally when one of us has wanted red and the other white a bottle of each has appeared on the table.:)

Of course it is not necessary to drink all the bottle:D which is something us Brits are very reluctant to do!

In many places the bottles are reused and filled from a wine box in any case so not wasted.

In one bar in Barcelona we were refused glasses of wine and told only full bottles for sale, I then saw the barman re filling bottles round the corner of the bar, I was not pleased. Possibly a tourist thing but we never returned to that bar and one of the reasons that I am not keen on Barcelona, we have visited twice now and that is enough for me.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
@jumartoo
Thanks for the heads up about Viggo's just been this afternoon.

Bottle of red between us..

IMG_20190215_130712.jpg

Salad starter..

IMG_20190215_130543.jpg

Primero
Nachos for M and "Ribs" for me. Turned out to be what we called Tattie-Hash made with pork ribs, potatoes. Chick peas, yellow peppers and spinach. Huge bowlfull, a meal in itself.

IMG_20190215_132241.jpg

IMG_20190215_132237.jpg

Secundo
Fish chips & peas

IMG_20190215_134220.jpg

Postres
Lemon Meringue pie (huge) for M, egg flan for me.
IMG_20190215_141152.jpg

Cafe con Leche.

I was going to play " Guess the Bill?" but @jumartoo would know it :whistle::whistle:

IMG_20190215_142655.jpg

Well worth a visit.
We have now been here two consecutive Fridays and arrived both times about 1300. By 1330 there were queues waiting for tables.

Barry

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
@jumartoo
Thanks for the heads up about Viggo's just been this afternoon.

Bottle of red between us..

View attachment 283901

Salad starter..

View attachment 283895

Primero
Nachos for M and "Ribs" for me. Turned out to be what we called Tattie-Hash made with pork ribs, potatoes. Chick peas, yellow peppers and spinach. Huge bowlfull, a meal in itself.

View attachment 283896

View attachment 283897

Secundo
Fish chips & peas

View attachment 283898

Postres
Lemon Meringue pie (huge) for M, egg flan for me.
View attachment 283899

Cafe con Leche.

I was going to play " Guess the Bill?" but @jumartoo would know it :whistle::whistle:

View attachment 283902

Well worth a visit.
We have now been here two consecutive Fridays and arrived both times about 1300. By 1330 there were queues waiting for tables.

Barry

Love it, but your fish n chips was smaller than ours! Still good value.

IMG_20190106_130625.jpg

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Just been to Viggos - saw menu del dia (12 euros today), sat down to be told that we were too late - finished at 4 - it was 1 minute past :LOL::(.

Hey ho, tomorrow is another day :)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back