Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp
seanwinder22
I took out the motorised heki one like and dropped this one in to replace it (which is great) but did Iook into using the old surround but it won't fit as the old surround is made so much better than Maxfan cover with led light

So ended up buying and fitting the led light cover which is a bit crap compared to the fan which is great and to be warned it doesn't block light like the heki one
Just seen this
That’s a shame then
I didn’t know this before purchasing 🤦‍♂️ I think you can get a blackout shade am I right
Surly it can be modified in a way to go on
Or did you try everything
Sorry … at this point I haven’t seen how the max fan fits

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Really?? We use ours every night with the blind shut.
Even on high power?

I haven’t got it, that’s what I read before buying so I never bothered.

It moves so much air I would be surprised if it worked with a blind?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We tend to run ours all night at 40% extract. At that level it moves enough air and is quiet enough,

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Sorry to jump on a old thread
But I have just purchased the max fan deluxe and taking out the mini heki

I have the heki blind/fly net trim
Could I keep this does anyone know? Or do you have to purchase the maxfan shade trim and blind/led

Thanks
You can modify it to fit, but needs a bit of fettling with a hacksaw blade. I also used the Maxfan fan surround trim to neaten it up. Picture shows what i did, Heki blind/ flyscreen just clips on. You have to remove the manual handle though. Mine is in a cupboard for emergencies.

IMG_4323.jpeg

seanwinder22

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp
You can modify it to fit, but needs a bit of fettling with a hacksaw blade. I also used the Maxfan fan surround trim to neaten it up. Picture shows what i did, Heki blind/ flyscreen just clips on. You have to remove the manual handle though. Mine is in a cupboard for emergencies.

View attachment 746009
Brilliant . I would rather use the heki blind/fly screen then the max fan one
It looks very cheap and fragile

seanwinder22

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Great 👍 I will definitely do this thanks . My fan arrives Tuesday so now I’m happy 😊 so from the pics you just trimmed the one down at the top part
I gad to do a bit of surgery on both Heki & maxfan surrounds

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Great 👍 I will definitely do this thanks . My fan arrives Tuesday so now I’m happy 😊 so from the pics you just trimmed the one down at the top part
I removed the angled lip on the rear and sanded flat then screwed the frame onto the fans plastic frame.
you have to remove the black manual knob for the blind to shut not needed as the fan is remote but I did get my son to 3d print me a smaller one.

seanwinder22

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp
I removed the angled lip on the rear and sanded flat then screwed the frame onto the fans plastic frame.
you have to remove the black manual knob for the blind to shut not needed as the fan is remote but I did get my son to 3d print me a smaller one.
Great 👍 did you already have wiring in the ceiling
Or did you rod it threw

seanwinder22

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp
I posted a video further up
Did you do what that guy did

seanwinder22

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp

View attachment 746009
This looks very tidy
You did a great job here
You can’t see the maxfan trim outer edge at all
Did you cut it down to look like this image buddy
So the heki trim isn’t doubled up on top but more or less slots in

IMG_5879.png IMG_5880.png

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Great 👍 did you already have wiring in the ceiling
Or did you rod it threw
Wiring already there but I blue the fuse somehow and can not find it so rewired to a 12v plug.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
No 12v supply for mine so ran a 12v fused feed.
I wanted to run the cable in the ceiling, but couldnt get a long wood bit all the way through. Suspect a metal bracket running the width of the van above the front of the lockers. Ended up fitting a small semi circular conduit, which looks ok.

IMG_4328.jpeg

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
Theoretically it's a straight swap. However when I did it, measured hole was 400x400mm, happy so bought it. But Maxxair has a tail on top which allows you to use it in the rain and after securing frame to roof when I tried to place the fan in place my solar panel was obstructing the tail. So I then had to move the solar panel so just make sure you have space on top for the tail

John
Just stumbled on this old post researching for a similar problem as space is tight on my roof, is there anything wrong with mounting a Maxxfan sideways? Or indeed back to front so that the rear overhang faces forward over the edge of my roof? If it faces back as intended it will overhang my solar panels.

TIA

Mark

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just stumbled on this old post researching for a similar problem as space is tight on my roof, is there anything wrong with mounting a Maxxfan sideways? Or indeed back to front so that the rear overhang faces forward over the edge of my roof? If it faces back as intended it will overhang my solar panels.

TIA

Mark
As they are designed to be fitted just one way I don't think it would be sensible to mount one sideways or backwards as the force on them when driving at speed could do serious damage and even worse cause them to break apart.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
If you mount it backwards it will lift. We have had gale force winds lift it from the rear before and move the winder mechanism.

seanwinder22

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp

TIA

Mark
I had this problem so asked them and I got told it would be fine but to fit a spoiler
Unless you have solar or other objects on the roof to help
It’s because of the air dynamics
I have installed mine sideways and it’s fine

IMG_6016.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I had this problem so asked them and I got told it would be fine but to fit a spoiler
Unless you have solar or other objects on the roof to help
It’s because of the air dynamics
I have installed mine sideways and it’s fine

View attachment 757883
I assume that means you cannot use it whilst travelling through.

Topher

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 25, 2014
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668

TIA

Mark
I have just fitted one to my motorhome and was disappointed to find that they don't fully seal when the lid is down. There is approximately a 30mm gap across the back which is open to the outside. This creates a draught and noise when it is windy. If fitted backward as you suggest might cause a lot of wind to enter when driving.

Don't bother with the Maxshade as it is very poor quality and doesn't block much light. I am in the process of modifying the Remis blind I took out.

seanwinder22

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp
I assume that means you cannot use it whilst travelling through.
Yes that’s correct it needs to be down while driving I would have thought but with the spoiler it helps lift wind over the fan
My only option was to fit the fan sideways but was just saying it does work …. I have had no leaks while driving or noise or it lifting

seanwinder22

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp
I have just fitted one to my motorhome and was disappointed to find that they don't fully seal when the lid is down. There is approximately a 30mm gap across the back which is open to the outside. This creates a draught and noise when it is windy. If fitted backward as you suggest might cause a lot of wind to enter when driving.

Don't bother with the Maxshade as it is very poor quality and doesn't block much light. I am in the process of modifying the Remis blind I took out.
I agree on the max shade read posts above in this thread I installed my mini heki blind and fly screen back on a really easy fix and looks great

Aug 22, 2022
Of no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Bedford MJ AWD
Many thanks all, playing around with measurements and plans I suspect it's going to be too tight to fit two fans. It was snug on paper using the published measurements for the solar panels but I didn't allow for the 3cm brackets each side of each panel so I am already 12cm out!

They do a smaller circular fan which I think is designed for showers so I might try to use that instead.

Regards

Mark

Mar 19, 2020
south of France
Funster No
MH
1991 swift kontiki
Exp
4years
I've fitted one to our van here in S of France where in summer it is regularly in the mid 30's in the shade. It works really well , and through the night it keeps us cool without too much noise.

seanwinder22

Free Member
Jul 1, 2022
Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato bessacar
Exp
I've fitted one to our van here in S of France where in summer it is regularly in the mid 30's in the shade. It works really well , and through the night it keeps us cool without too much noise.
I agree it’s also made a MASSIVE difference to our bessacar we went to Cornwall it was so hot but with the bedroom window cracked open and the fan on 30 it’s a nice breeze
I have the ruvvi temp sensors and watched it take that temp down 6 degrees

Jan 24, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Sold 😟
Exp
1990-2023
Theoretically it's a straight swap. However when I did it, measured hole was 400x400mm, happy so bought it. But Maxxair has a tail on top which allows you to use it in the rain and after securing frame to roof when I tried to place the fan in place my solar panel was obstructing the tail. So I then had to move the solar panel so just make sure you have space on top for the tail

John
We also had same problem. Not us as we paid to have it done but had thought it would be a straightforward swap

carol

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail

John
Just as John says above :)

The Maxxair Extreme fan is a superb bit of kit and I loved the one I fitted in my last conversion.
I would have replaced the fan in the kitchen area in my Autotrail with one in a Heartbeat, but as John found, it would have obstructed the solar panel behind it - and in my case, I couldn't move the panel, so had to forgo the Maxxair fan :( Having had one before, I knew about the extra roof space needed so was able to check before a new purchase.
(I even considered fitting it facing east-west instead of north-south so the lid would fit as the fans are that good!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back