Maxxair deluxe fan as an aid to security (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I've just fitted one as a replacement to my failed B2200 air conditioner.

When sleeping at night I have never left a window open , even on a campsite , for fear of inviting an unwanted entry.
Even when it's been stupidly hot.
I'm not obsessive about security , just trying to be practical about it.
My windows all have an alarm and a 'lock em out'

It struck me (obvious to many I know) that the fan will give me the opportunity to have a trickle of cool air at night , without needing to be on EHU.
I think it's going to be a significant advantage.

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Does it not worry you that somebody can just remove the four external screws that hold the Maxxair deluxe fan unit onto the mounting flange, lift the unit off, and then they can drop through the hole into your van?
Well it does a little bit but that's no worse than them coming through the main skylight.
I'm thinking I suppose of opportunists.
If people come tooled up they will get in anyway somehow.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Does it not worry you that somebody can just remove the four external screws that hold the Maxxair deluxe fan unit onto the mounting flange, lift the unit off, and then they can drop through the hole into your van?
No as even if that didn't wake you the internal surround is screwed to the ceiling containing the syainless mesh grille & all that would have to be destroyed to get in
They would also have to be pretty slim to get through a 390 sq hole?
I got through a 380 x 320 hole a few times last weekend & I'm not 'slim'. It is knowing how to do it.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
To be honest none of the plastic skylights fitted to Motorhomes or caravans is impervious to a scrote on the roof,
one good yank and it would be off,

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I think, with respect, all this talk about scrotes entering through the roof at night, is a fear neurosis. Of course this is possible, but is it likely? We are always balancing risks, consciously or not, but I’d be happy with your fan arrangement and would sleep soundly, free of anxiety.
I’d make sure that the Rolexes and wads of cash were well hidden though.😄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
When I installed a Maxxfan to my 2021 Adria Twin the old rooflight came off easily by sliding a knife blade round the base of the rooflight, at least with a Maxxfan someone would need a screwdriver to get it off.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
They would also have to be pretty slim to get through a 390 sq hole?
I fitted my MaxxFan almost entirely from inside the van by standing up through the hole. Including removing the old unit and doing all the cleanup to remove the old goop. The only bit I needed to do from the outside was reaching across to do up the last 4 securing screws once the unit had been dropped in place. I did however ruin a pair of shorts... got Sikaflex on the bum.

The 4 screws to attach the unit on the outside isn't ideal. But if you're prepared to climb on the roof of a van, you're already pretty determined and aren't worried about being very conspicuous.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I got through a 380 x 320 hole a few times last weekend & I'm not 'slim'. It is knowing how to do it.
And my 50 yr old son managed it in a window which looks to be about that size.

Feet (3).jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If
No as even if that didn't wake you the internal surround is screwed to the ceiling containing the syainless mesh grille & all that would have to be destroyed to get in

If Gus can, then so can I....and do....,,,,👍😀🇪🇦

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You been down the sewers playing with the Ninja Turtles again? :giggle:

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I've just fitted one as a replacement to my failed B2200 air conditioner.

When sleeping at night I have never left a window open , even on a campsite , for fear of inviting an unwanted entry.
Even when it's been stupidly hot.
I'm not obsessive about security , just trying to be practical about it.
My windows all have an alarm and a 'lock em out'

It struck me (obvious to many I know) that the fan will give me the opportunity to have a trickle of cool air at night , without needing to be on EHU.
I think it's going to be a significant advantage.
Have you put extra security on your external toilet door???? They "could" open door, "remove" cassette and "climb" up through your toilet waste hole and into your van AND ?????
Well you "could" be mince.....
Don't say I did not warn you.👺🤬🤬😈

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back