Rally Chat Lymington Rally August 2018 - Isle Of Wight Day Trip (1 Viewer)

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
@Mr Chrysalis
Please take me off the list for the day trip to I.O.W.
Apologies for any inconvenience.
Mimi

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Here is the latest list of people who want to be included on the IOW Coach Trip. We are travelling as foot passengers from Lymington and getting the coach at Yarmouth. We are 46 people and 11 dogs.

The 3 listed st the bottom are “maybe” and not included in the 46
1D8C283A-FA8F-47BF-A9DA-5F2CEDFB62A1.jpeg

Please would you suggest places that you would like to visit. These would need to be dog friendly. We probably have time for about 3 stops during the day.

EDIT : DLT just confirmed 2 so total is now 48

Old Rascal

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2013
Nailsea
Funster No
MH
Sunliving V65SL
Exp
Since 2012
On your list, you have us down twice? This will bring your total down again.:whistle:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
See below for suggested itinerary. Please let me know if this will suit you, or if you have other suggestions. I’ll give it a week for comments, before I suggest it to the coach company, or try to book the Bugle Inn. Please indicate if you want to stay for dinner at the Bugle, and if so number of people and dogs for that.

Suggested Day Excursion. Times are approximate.

08:45 Depart Lymington

09:30 Arrive Yarmouth

Yarmouth to Alum Bay and the Needles Landmark Attraction.

10:15 Arrive The Needles Landmark Attraction (dog friendly)

Look for the Marconi Monument, which marks the precise location where Guglielmo Marconi set up his revolutionary equipment. It was from here that he sent the very first wireless transmission in 1897. Queen Victoria was said to be delighted, when Marconi went on to establish radio communication between herself at Osborne, and the Prince of Wales, who was onboard the Royal Yacht “Osborne”.

Take some time to enjoy the traditional rides at the Needles, where you can also take a trip down to the beach below – following in the footsteps of Victorian holidaymakers. Stop for a cup of tea or some food at the Marconi restaurant.

13:15 Depart The Needles Landmark Attraction

Drive to Freshwater Bay for stunning views across the channel – and head to Military Road for a 45 minute drive to Ventnor.

14:00 Arrive Ventnor

Visit Ventnor Botanic Gardens ( Dog Friendly)

Take a walk around the wonderful gardens, on the former site of a Victorian hospital for diseases of the chest. Some of the trees in the gardens were donated by Prince Albert and Queen Victoria.

Take a look at the views around you and imagine what it would have been like for Victorian visitors to the hospital. Part of the process for their healing. Giant doors would open out onto the views, for those with conditions of the chest to take in the sea air.

16:15 Leave Ventnor Botanic Gardens

Walk to The Royal Hotel

16:30 Arrive at the Royal Hotel

Enjoy spending time in a beautiful Victorian Hotel, which was renamed from the Ventnor Hotel, to the Royal Hotel, after Queen Victoria visited and endorsed it for afternoon tea in 1855.

While you are at the hotel, take time to enjoy a spot of afternoon tea, just as Queen Victoria did more than 100 years ago.

17:30 Leave the Royal Hotel

Follow the signs to Military Road and take an evening trip down towards Freshwater Bay. From here, head towards Yarmouth for the ferry home.

19:10 Depart Yarmouth

Or stay for dinner in local pub The Bugle In. ( Dog friendly)

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Sounds good to me, have not been to these places on IOW, re pub dinner I am happy either way. Are there charges for the Botanic gardens and the Needles ?

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Looks like a really good day. Looking forward to it. Will give the Bugle a miss though, thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
@lindyloot Botanic Garden charged are: ( I have not checked Coach party discounts yet)
ADMISSION PRICE
Adult: £9.50*

Concessions: £8.50*
(65+, registered disabled or registered student)

Child: £5
(aged between 6 – 16 years)

Children under 6: Free

Family saver: £20*
(2 adults, 2 children)

This price includes parking for all Garden visitors and a return visit within the next 7 days

*Includes £1 donation to Ventnor Botanic Garden Friends’ Society – our partner Registered Charity No who are able to claim Gift Aid on this amount.

For details of Group bookings and Coach visits click here.

We are a non-profit organisation; your admission fees help to keep the garden open.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
@lindyloot The Needles website says:

Enjoy the free parking and no admission fees. With stunning surroundings The Needles is well worth a visit at this time of year for those all important family walks. A full engineer maintenance overhaul is taking place to ensure our iconic chairlift is ready to run again before Easter 2018.

Our glass makers are continuously making glass throughout the Winter months and you can still enjoy a nice hot drink and soup as well as the warm treats the Marconi's Bar and Restaurant has to offer.

But I’m a bit confused as there is then a price list which says cars are £5 all day!
http://www.theneedles.co.uk/

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
The Needles ( table did not copy well)
Admission (Cars) £5 All Day
Admission (Campers) £8 All Day
Charlift Unlimited Travel Wrist Band £9.00 Cash Only £9.00 Cash Only
Chairlift Return £6.00 6 £6.00 6
Chairlift One Way £3.00 3 £3.00 3
4D Cinema £4.00 4 £4.00 4
Water Walkerz £4.00 4 £4.00 4
Jurassic Golf £4 4 £4 4
Vintage Cars Token Only 3 Token Only 3
Carousel Token Only 3 Token Only 3
Tea Cup Ride Token Only 3 Token Only 3
Games Kiosk - per game £2.00 2 £2.00 2
Alum Bay Glass Demonstration £2.00 2 £2.00 2
Sweet Manufactory Demonstration £2.00 2 £2.00 2
Child rate applies at 4 years

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Appreciate that a lot of work & research will have been done with regards to the suggested itinerary but from a selfish point of view we would like to get an overview of the island (with a view to looking out for the best meet/rally location for another year) by being driven around the coast with lots of short stops at attractive spots or resorts so no extra cost for entry to attractions & best value from having a hired coach & driver. Think it is possible to get a public bus from Yarmouth to the Needles but not sure it's possible to connect due to bus times to the buses that go around the coast hence the idea of a coach tour. Being the school summer holidays it will be busy so public buses likely to be oversubscribed too.
Another option to consider for the evening meal might be The Wheatsheaf https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...heatsheaf-Yarmouth_Isle_of_Wight_England.html which also looks like it is dog friendly. Any restaurant might prefer to offer a set menu for a group as hard to cater for a large number all at once otherwise.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Appreciate that a lot of work & research will have been done with regards to the suggested itinerary but from a selfish point of view we would like to get an overview of the island (with a view to looking out for the best meet/rally location for another year) by being driven around the coast with lots of short stops at attractive spots or resorts so no extra cost for entry to attractions & best value from having a hired coach & driver. Think it is possible to get a public bus from Yarmouth to the Needles but not sure it's possible to connect due to bus times to the buses that go around the coast hence the idea of a coach tour. Being the school summer holidays it will be busy so public buses likely to be oversubscribed too.
Another option to consider for the evening meal might be The Wheatsheaf https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...heatsheaf-Yarmouth_Isle_of_Wight_England.html which also looks like it is dog friendly. Any restaurant might prefer to offer a set menu for a group as hard to cater for a large number all at once otherwise.
Well, it would be easy enough to drive “around the coast”, but we would have to stop a few times for dog walks and people natural breaks. I’m quite happy with that, as less work involved! Which would everyone else prefer, or are there any other suggestions?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I'm happy with the "stop" list as suggested by @Mr Chrysalis
It's my experience that trying to dash around & "see everything" isn't as enjoyable as having a few stops where there's plenty to do and folk can take their time - eg at the Needles, some might want to do all the activities & some might just want to sit & stare at the view.
Plus with a crowd, let alone dogs, getting on & off the bus will take longer than anticipated so doing that lots of times, every 10 or 15 or 30 mins or so won't be very "efficient"

Just my twopenn'eth

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Langtoftlad good to see feedback as that is what is needed to make this work as well as possible for as many as possible (y)
Agree that jumping on & off every 10 minutes wouldn't be sensible but it's a small enough island to be able to see most of it & stop at the most desirable spots.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Agree that jumping on & off every 10 minutes wouldn't be sensible but it's a small enough island to be able to see most of it & stop at the most desirable spots.
Sorry for the dumb question but what other "desirable" spots are there, apart from the three suggested?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Sorry for the dumb question but what other "desirable" spots are there, apart from the three suggested?
Think we need feedback from those who have visited or know the island on that.
Tripadvisor is useful but can't beat local knowledge.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp

Old Rascal

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2013
Nailsea
Funster No
MH
Sunliving V65SL
Exp
Since 2012
I'm happy with the "stop" list as suggested by @Mr Chrysalis
It's my experience that trying to dash around & "see everything" isn't as enjoyable as having a few stops where there's plenty to do and folk can take their time - eg at the Needles, some might want to do all the activities & some might just want to sit & stare at the view.
Plus with a crowd, let alone dogs, getting on & off the bus will take longer than anticipated so doing that lots of times, every 10 or 15 or 30 mins or so won't be very "efficient"

Just my twopenn'eth

I would agree with @Langtoftlad and think the itinerary set out by @Mr Chrysalis would make it a good day out for everyone.
With regards the meal in the evening, we will give that a miss.
Thanks.(y)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
See below for suggested itinerary. Please let me know if this will suit you, or if you have other suggestions. I’ll give it a week for comments, before I suggest it to the coach company, or try to book the Bugle Inn. Please indicate if you want to stay for dinner at the Bugle, and if so number of people and dogs for that.

Suggested Day Excursion. Times are approximate.

08:45 Depart Lymington

09:30 Arrive Yarmouth

Yarmouth to Alum Bay and the Needles Landmark Attraction.

10:15 Arrive The Needles Landmark Attraction (dog friendly)

Look for the Marconi Monument, which marks the precise location where Guglielmo Marconi set up his revolutionary equipment. It was from here that he sent the very first wireless transmission in 1897. Queen Victoria was said to be delighted, when Marconi went on to establish radio communication between herself at Osborne, and the Prince of Wales, who was onboard the Royal Yacht “Osborne”.

Take some time to enjoy the traditional rides at the Needles, where you can also take a trip down to the beach below – following in the footsteps of Victorian holidaymakers. Stop for a cup of tea or some food at the Marconi restaurant.

13:15 Depart The Needles Landmark Attraction

Drive to Freshwater Bay for stunning views across the channel – and head to Military Road for a 45 minute drive to Ventnor.

14:00 Arrive Ventnor

Visit Ventnor Botanic Gardens ( Dog Friendly)

Take a walk around the wonderful gardens, on the former site of a Victorian hospital for diseases of the chest. Some of the trees in the gardens were donated by Prince Albert and Queen Victoria.

Take a look at the views around you and imagine what it would have been like for Victorian visitors to the hospital. Part of the process for their healing. Giant doors would open out onto the views, for those with conditions of the chest to take in the sea air.

16:15 Leave Ventnor Botanic Gardens

Walk to The Royal Hotel

16:30 Arrive at the Royal Hotel

Enjoy spending time in a beautiful Victorian Hotel, which was renamed from the Ventnor Hotel, to the Royal Hotel, after Queen Victoria visited and endorsed it for afternoon tea in 1855.

While you are at the hotel, take time to enjoy a spot of afternoon tea, just as Queen Victoria did more than 100 years ago.

17:30 Leave the Royal Hotel

Follow the signs to Military Road and take an evening trip down towards Freshwater Bay. From here, head towards Yarmouth for the ferry home.

19:10 Depart Yarmouth

Or stay for dinner in local pub The Bugle In. ( Dog friendly)
I have received 3 votes for this itinerary and 2 for the @Wombles alternative ( drive around the coast, stopping as the mood takes us). Any other suggestions before we make a final choice?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Game for anything!

fairford rambler

Free Member
Oct 1, 2017
Surrey
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
I'm okay with whatever. Reckon Wombles drive around the coast could also slot in with Mr C's itinerary. Black Gang Chine might also be worth a stop if it is still there and has not eroded into the sea by now. Not sure about cost though.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I'm okay with whatever. Reckon Wombles drive around the coast could also slot in with Mr C's itinerary.
We had also thought that both might be possible as only a small island (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back