Rally Chat Lymington Rally August 2018 - Isle Of Wight Day Trip (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
This thread is for those interested in a day trip to the Isle Of Wight whilst staying at the Lymington Rally - main rally thread here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...e-of-wight-day-trip-more-august-rally.161595/ . The Wightlink ferry http://www.wightlink.co.uk/ is just
5 minutes walk from the camping area. Adults are £16.20 & Seniors (60+) £12.10 for the return journey as foot passengers & bikes are no extra charge. For anyone who has Tesco Clubcard vouchers they cover the Wightlink ferry https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost/wightlink-isle-of-wight-ferries/UK-004657.prd (£2.50 = £7.50) & just did a dummy booking which confirms they do cover fares as a foot passenger http://www.wightlink.co.uk/go/tickets-prices/tesco-clubcard/ so a cheap way to have a scenic boat trip & explore Yarmouth at the very least. Looks like it is possible to go from Yarmouth by bus to The Needles but not sure if the buses connect well enough to the ones that go around the whole island on the coast as that would be ideal. I went as a child but hardly remember it so would like to see if it's worth a longer visit or maybe a rally on the island another time. Would suggest maybe Monday for us as then no clash with the Seafood Festival?
We have quite a bit of organising :eek: to do for all our meets & rallies next year :) & @Mr Chrysalis has kindly offered to organise the day trip to the Isle of Wight so over to him now (y) & to any of you that may be interested - please post on this thread.
UPDATE 16/11/17: AA & C&CC members can get 10% discount off the prices above. Please note if using Tesco Clubcard points then the voucher codes received will only be valid for 6 months so have to wait until late February to change them up.
Have emailed Wightlink to see if a Fun discount code is possible - for all trips not just this rally.

UPDATE Ferry Ticket Info. 5/4/18 : Although there is the option of using Tesco Clubcard vouchers for Wightlink crossings we do have a Fun 10% discount code for ferry crossings around the time of the Lymington Seafood Festival Rally courtesy of Wightlink (y) This is already posted on here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...st-2018-isle-of-wight-day-trip.162355/page-10 as thought it may be of use to others too.
If & when ready to book don't forget to go to Wightlink via Quidco for possible 4% cashback & use discount code
SP18FUNCLU which is valid for bookings for car & foot passengers from 10th-20th August. Please note that if you are AA & C&CC members you can go via their links for 15% discount but 10% was the best we could get for Fun this time although Quidco cashback would apply too.
If anyone is a Blue Badge holder then there is 25% discount for foot passengers already in place via the website http://www.wightlink.co.uk/go/discounts/offer/up-to-25-discount-for-blue-badge-holders/

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Certainly interested in a trip to the I o W. just need to sort out if dog and buses are compatable!!!

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We're interested in this - looking at Wightlink's website it would appear that you can take your dog too, which may be of interest to some Funsters :) (including us!) (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Very Interested. I like going overseas.:LOL:

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
And that's a yes from us two please !

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
if not too late to change you have put 2017 in the title not 2018 (y)

and yes please we would be interested (2 plus dog?)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
if not too late to change you have put 2017 in the title not 2018 (y)

and yes please we would be interested (2 plus dog?)
Eeek - well spotted (y) - it's been a long day.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I'm new to this organising lark, but I'll do my best! I'll compile a list of those interested so far in the next couple of days then add to it as more replies to this thread. It MAY be possible to hire a bus (maybe open top) to do a tour of the Island. I will look into this. Please will you indicate in your reply if you would be interested in joining a round-the-Island tour? They used to do them when I lived there but as that was 1957, things might have moved on a bit (maybe don't have horses now). The alternative to this would be "rover" tickets, which allow you to travel wherever you like during the day. I'll also find out if it would be cheaper to make a block booking on the ferry, but I don't think that would be compatible with Tesco vouchers.

Other places on the Island worth visiting are the 8 Wonders of the Island:
  • "Lake" where there is no water.
  • The "Needles" you cannot thread.
  • "Ryde" where you walk.
  • "Cowes" you cannot milk.
  • "Freshwater" you cannot drink.
  • "Newport" you cannot bottle.
  • "Winkle street" where there are no Winkles
  • "Newtown" which is very old
I suppose you all know what is Brown and Steamy and comes out of Cowes?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
IMG_0276.PNG
I was going to say this but not Cowes is it???
http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk
Hi Debs, not what I had in mind for the answer to my "brown and Steamy " question, but if you are interested in the steam train ride, I believe this starts from Smallbrook to Wooton. Smallbrook is a short electric train ride from Ryde, and I think there is also a bus. I will check if the "rover" ticket would give free travel on the electric train from Ryde

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm new to this organising lark, but I'll do my best! I'll compile a list of those interested so far in the next couple of days then add to it as more replies to this thread. It MAY be possible to hire a bus (maybe open top) to do a tour of the Island. I will look into this. Please will you indicate in your reply if you would be interested in joining a round-the-Island tour? They used to do them when I lived there but as that was 1957, things might have moved on a bit (maybe don't have horses now). The alternative to this would be "rover" tickets, which allow you to travel wherever you like during the day. I'll also find out if it would be cheaper to make a block booking on the ferry, but I don't think that would be compatible with Tesco vouchers.

Other places on the Island worth visiting are the 8 Wonders of the Island:
  • "Lake" where there is no water.
  • The "Needles" you cannot thread.
  • "Ryde" where you walk.
  • "Cowes" you cannot milk.
  • "Freshwater" you cannot drink.
  • "Newport" you cannot bottle.
  • "Winkle street" where there are no Winkles
  • "Newtown" which is very old
I suppose you all know what is Brown and Steamy and comes out of Cowes?
IMG_0275.PNG

Dogs
We welcome and encourage assistance dogs on our buses and coaches and they are carried and welcome aboard at all times. We would ask you, though, to ensure you comply with any reasonable instruction given by the bus driver or the conductor whilst you and your dog are on board.

A maximum of two dogs at any time are normally allowed on any of our buses but this will be subject to the discretion of the driver. Similarly, if you wish to travel with two or more dogs, you will need permission from the driver.

Other dogs (or a small animal) are welcome at the discretion of our drivers and, if they are permitted on board, they must be well behaved and of no danger or nuisance to other customers or our employees. Dogs can be dangerous so, where appropriate, they must travel in accordance with the Dangerous Dogs Act.

We reserve the right to ask you to leave the vehicle with your animal at any time if the driver feels that the animal in question is a danger to the driver, the passengers or you. If we do ask you to leave, you must do so at the time and place stated by the driver. We will have no liability to you as a result of the driver asking you to leave the bus or coach.

Please remember that animals are not permitted to travel on seats (although they can sit on your lap) and, if the animal causes damage, loss or injury due to it travelling on the vehicle or being on our premises you will be held responsible and we may seek to claim costs as a result. Any animal which is permitted to travel on our bus is at your risk.

We make no charge for the carriage of dogs and small animals although we do ask you respect the above rules at all times.

Bus Routes - these are all included in the £10 Rover Ticket
Southern Vectis runs the local buses on the Isle of Wight. Their routes connect most parts of the Island to all major towns. Buses are frequent with some routes running through the night.

Island Coaster route is Ryde to Bembridge, Sandown, Shanklin, Ventnor, Blackgang, Freshwater Bay, Totland and Yarmouth. The Island Coaster operates from Spring until September.

The Needles Breezer open top bus ride is one of the most spectacular bus rides in all of England - an open top ride that will take your breath away!! The one hour hop-on hop-off bus follows a circular route and serves Yarmouth, Freshwater Bay, passes the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival site, Alum Bay, Colwell, and Totland. The Needles Breezer operates from March until the Autumn.

The Downs Beezer open top bus provides the best views of the Eastern End of the Solent. Starting in Ryde, the route runs every 30 minutes either clockwise or anticlockwise travelling through Sandown, Brading, across The Downs, through to Newchurch, Arreton, Wootton and Fishbourne. The Downs Breezer operates from Spring until September.

Shanklin Steamer is a fun and handy way to get around of getting from the town centre down the steep hill to the Esplanade with its

Read More

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
View attachment 191528

Dogs
We welcome and encourage assistance dogs on our buses and coaches and they are carried and welcome aboard at all times. We would ask you, though, to ensure you comply with any reasonable instruction given by the bus driver or the conductor whilst you and your dog are on board.

A maximum of two dogs at any time are normally allowed on any of our buses but this will be subject to the discretion of the driver. Similarly, if you wish to travel with two or more dogs, you will need permission from the driver.

Other dogs (or a small animal) are welcome at the discretion of our drivers and, if they are permitted on board, they must be well behaved and of no danger or nuisance to other customers or our employees. Dogs can be dangerous so, where appropriate, they must travel in accordance with the Dangerous Dogs Act.

We reserve the right to ask you to leave the vehicle with your animal at any time if the driver feels that the animal in question is a danger to the driver, the passengers or you. If we do ask you to leave, you must do so at the time and place stated by the driver. We will have no liability to you as a result of the driver asking you to leave the bus or coach.

Please remember that animals are not permitted to travel on seats (although they can sit on your lap) and, if the animal causes damage, loss or injury due to it travelling on the vehicle or being on our premises you will be held responsible and we may seek to claim costs as a result. Any animal which is permitted to travel on our bus is at your risk.

We make no charge for the carriage of dogs and small animals although we do ask you respect the above rules at all times.

Bus Routes - these are all included in the £10 Rover Ticket
Southern Vectis runs the local buses on the Isle of Wight. Their routes connect most parts of the Island to all major towns. Buses are frequent with some routes running through the night.

Island Coaster route is Ryde to Bembridge, Sandown, Shanklin, Ventnor, Blackgang, Freshwater Bay, Totland and Yarmouth. The Island Coaster operates from Spring until September.

The Needles Breezer open top bus ride is one of the most spectacular bus rides in all of England - an open top ride that will take your breath away!! The one hour hop-on hop-off bus follows a circular route and serves Yarmouth, Freshwater Bay, passes the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival site, Alum Bay, Colwell, and Totland. The Needles Breezer operates from March until the Autumn.

The Downs Beezer open top bus provides the best views of the Eastern End of the Solent. Starting in Ryde, the route runs every 30 minutes either clockwise or anticlockwise travelling through Sandown, Brading, across The Downs, through to Newchurch, Arreton, Wootton and Fishbourne. The Downs Breezer operates from Spring until September.

Shanklin Steamer is a fun and handy way to get around of getting from the town centre down the steep hill to the Esplanade with its

Read More
This looks good value compared to a 40 seater coach hire for the day which would be £400-£500

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Whilst I like the idea of a daytrip to IOW ( actually I expect I will be going) and probably do a Needles Breezer... I do wonder, given the likely number at the rally and the likely popularity of such a daytrip - whether this would be like herding cats to get us all to agree to be at the same place at the same time - independent minded souls we Funsters ;).
But notwithstanding that, no doubt I'll be at the head of the queue if you get some discounts & the organization is handed to me on a plate :whistle:
:D2

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Whilst I like the idea of a daytrip to IOW ( actually I expect I will be going) and probably do a Needles Breezer... I do wonder, given the likely number at the rally and the likely popularity of such a daytrip - whether this would be like herding cats to get us all to agree to be at the same place at the same time - independent minded souls we Funsters ;).
But notwithstanding that, no doubt I'll be at the head of the queue if you get some discounts & the organization is handed to me on a plate :whistle:
Agree that some will prefer to do their own thing, some will go & return earlier or later & that's all fine but putting info. about visiting will hopefully help everyone interested & if we do manage to get a group together then that might be terrific fun! Got to admit I love the idea of a bus full of us lot - it'll be like "Summer Holiday"

just for one day! :hi5:
There will be also be those who might never try this or other activities by themselves so may give them an experience that they might not have tried before (y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Definitely interested in the round Island bus tour IF dogs are permitted.

Thanks

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Having checked prices briefly, a private coach hire is going to be slightly more per person than buying a rover ticket. And I tend to think that most would prefer the flexibility that offers. However if I get enough people who would like a private coach I am happy to organise that. Otherwise I am happy to just coordinate times and try to put like minded groups together (groups for needles and glass blowing, beach and donkey rides, Pirates and dinosaurs, zoo and cream cakes etc) and let smaller groups travel at the same time. I have asked Funsters to indicate their preference in their replies

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Definitely interested in the round Island bus tour IF dogs are permitted.

Thanks
Dogs are permitted on the buses and ferries. The bus ( see my earlier post) rules state only 2 dogs per bus, but I will contact Southern Vectis to check if that means 2 on a bus at any time, or one group can only take 2 dogs.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks @Mr Chrysalis - I read the details but was confused as to wether the 2 dog limit was per person or per bus. Given the number of us with dogs I suspect this will be a problem if it is just 2 per bus,

Thanks for checking this out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back