LPG filling in Italy (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have been told by a fellow van owner (WildAx) that he tried to fill the LPG tank on his van but was told in no uncertain terms that it was illegal to fill the camper habitation gas tanks at a petrol station so couldn’t. We have underfloor tanks with external fillers, and the appropriate connectors for the European LPG pumps.

Since we are planning a 2 month trip to Italy in October, I contacted mylpg.eu and asked them. The answer I got was not completely satisfactory, viz

"Unfortunately I don't have any official answer, but I've heard that motorhome owners had problems filling in Italy, France and Spain from many different sources.
Apparently they assume you don't have an 80% shutoff valve. There was some accident in France regarding this also.
I've also heard that usually there are no problems if you have remote fill where you have the adapter/connector attached at the outside of the vehicle. If you need to open the back doors and the gas cupboard, they won't let you even if it says you have an 80% shutoff valve."

Has anyone got any more information which can put our minds at rest as we can't contemplate setting off with a prospect of no more LPG!!

Many thanks

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In Italy you are not allowed to fill your own tanks - an attendant must do it for you.

Some attendants refuse to fill our Gaslow System, so we just moved on until we found one who would - and gave him a little tip.

Just don't let your tanks get too empty between fills

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We found the same as Robert, first garage we stopped at on the Autostrada refused, next one happy to fill us up.

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Never been refused in Italy. Have only been refused once in Turkey and another time in Romania. Just move on to the next service station and you should be fine. Good advise from Robert.

Just don't let your tanks get too empty between fills

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We were refused in italy. Reason given was lpg is only for engine and not habitation. Not all garages enforce this so just try the next one or the one after. We always found gas within 3 attempts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No problem in Sardinia. We have put our filler below the diesel filler, both of which are inside a locker although there is a locking flap outside but I prefer to open the locker to fill diesel, the close proximity of the diesel fill and LPG enables me to say with some impunity, it is for the engine!
IMG_20170410_170046.jpg

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Is this feed-back recent? A friend advised that the reluctance to fill in Italy only came about in the last year. They tried many garages and were declined (they have external filler).

Keith

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Is the problem something to do with different taxation on LPG use, combined maybe with the filling ststions' computer systems not being programmed to deal with both?

Geoff

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We were in Italy last April and May. First time I tried to fill was near Milan and was told "no". 100 miles further south and the attendant asked in broken English "engine". I replied "yes"; after all I do have an engine, and he filled us up. As we headed further south we had no more problems at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back