Aug 14, 2021
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Merc Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi.
As in my introduction post only yesterday I am brand new to forums so navigating and where to post things is strange.
I am in the middle of a van conversion and I want throw out a few questions to all you experienced people..
Which side of the van is best to have the LPG filler point, this is my next job and I think everyone may think it a daft question but most of you will have had experienced the good and bad so please advise me..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had Alugas bottles fitted in the gas locker and the logical place to fit the filler point was in the wall adjacent to the locker door.
If you are fitting an underslung tank, rather than bottles in an existing locker, I would favour the same side as the diesel filler. That way you aren't changing sides if you need to fill up with both (doesn't happen to us often but it has in the past).

Upvote 1

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our Hymer has the gas locker on the offside and the Diesel on the nearside so if we had to fill both (has happened in the past) we go in fill one then (you can’t usually reverse as cars behind) exit and start again for the other!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi.
As in my introduction post only yesterday I am brand new to forums so navigating and where to post things is strange.
I am in the middle of a van conversion and I want throw out a few questions to all you experienced people..
Which side of the van is best to have the LPG filler point, this is my next job and I think everyone may think it a daft question but most of you will have had experienced the good and bad so please advise me..
We have it on the Same side as the diesel filler cap this way I can fill both without moving the van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
STEVE4SONN
Aug 14, 2021
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Merc Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a Newbie
We had Alugas bottles fitted in the gas locker and the logical place to fit the filler point was in the wall adjacent to the locker door.
If you are fitting an underslung tank, rather than bottles in an existing locker, I would favour the same side as the diesel filler. That way you aren't changing sides if you need to fill up with both (doesn't happen to us often but it has in the past).
Thank you kindly, see the point.
Yes it is an underslung cylinder and your suggestion of putting it on the same side as the diesel filler cap makes perfect sense.
Regards

Upvote 0
OP
OP
STEVE4SONN
Aug 14, 2021
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Merc Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Our Hymer has the gas locker on the offside and the Diesel on the nearside so if we had to fill both (has happened in the past) we go in fill one then (you can’t usually reverse as cars behind) exit and start again for the other!
Glad I joined this forum last night as already so many answers to my questions, thank you kindly.
Your answer is very good and yeah best to put it on the same side as the diesel filler cap..
Regards

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
STEVE4SONN. w2f

On our old Hymer with an underslung bulk tank, the filler was on the same side as the diesel filler. Easy peasy. (y)

On our current MH with refillable cylinders, the filler is on the opposite side to the diesel filler, so a little bit more planning is required when refuelling.

Get yourself a year's subs, and you won't regret it. ;)

Good luck with the build. (y)

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Given you are converting yourself I would suggest for convenience you fit a filling point on both sides. I have had an additional point fitted to the last few vans. It gives far more flexibility and convenience. Given you have the skill set to do yourself the parts are not significantly expensive in terms of the flexibility it offers, especially as we start to see fewer and fewer filling options. Having both has been a god send a number of times recently.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We have it on the Same side as the diesel filler cap this way I can fill both without moving the van.
Except often abroad the lpg filling point is nowhere near the diesel pumps.

STEVE4SONN we have 2 refillable - Gaslow - bottles and have a filling point in the skirt near the locker. This makes it look as if we’re filling up a tank as some countries “don't allow” sale of lpg for domestic use, just for propulsion. In reality we’ve only ever been refused once.

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Except often abroad the lpg filling point is nowhere near the diesel pumps.

STEVE4SONN we have 2 refillable - Gaslow - bottles and have a filling point in the skirt near the locker. This makes it look as if we’re filling up a tank as some countries “don't allow” sale of lpg for domestic use, just for propulsion. In reality we’ve only ever been refused once.
Yeah well we can’t cater for every eventuality can we. I guess there’s always one will find a fault.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yeah well we can’t cater for every eventuality can we. I guess there’s always one will find a fault.
Glenn, Offagain Anthea wasn't finding fault, she was merely pointing out that unlike here in the UK where Autogas is more often than not on the same aisle as other fuel pumps, abroad they can be totally separate.
I too have experienced abroad, where the Autogas pump is on it's own, away from the other pumps. I couldn't turn round at one such pump in France, so going against the grain a bit, I had to sling the dispenser under the MH, so as to reach my filler point. Judging by the state of the dispenser, it appears it was a common practise. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Aye, I get where she was coming from and have filled in other countries where the LPG pump is quite remote from diesel pumps.
To me though and probably most others it was quite obvious having the LPG filler on the same side as the diesel filler is only useful where the pumps are adjacent.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if possible keep the filler outside the van ive seen the small square fillers both mounted under the rear bumper and in the mouldins below the lights

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Aye, I get where she was coming from and have filled in other countries where the LPG pump is quite remote from diesel pumps.
To me though and probably most others it was quite obvious having the LPG filler on the same side as the diesel filler is only useful where the pumps are adjacent.
There are LPG pumps well separated from the rest in the UK too.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
if possible keep the filler outside the van ive seen the small square fillers both mounted under the rear bumper and in the mouldins below the lights
I was going to suggest using the small square filler too especially on a van conversion as it's much easier than trying to find a suitable place for the big round one, here are photos of where I put the square one in our previous PVCs, both rear nearside:

Gas filler.jpg
gas filler 1.JPG

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I was going to suggest using the small square filler too especially on a van conversion as it's much easier than trying to find a suitable place for the big round one, here are photos of where I put the square one in our previous PVCs, both rear nearside:

View attachment 527096View attachment 527097
Directly into the crash zone so not such a good idea .
Really not good practice .

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

The filler pipework isn't particularly crash critical. The pipes hold only a tiny amount of gas and are isolated at the tank from its contents. The outlet pipework is much more important, especially if a non-electric isolation valve is used, as few drivers will bother to turn off a manual valve every time they move.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
The filler pipework isn't particularly crash critical. The pipes hold only a tiny amount of gas and are isolated at the tank from its contents. The outlet pipework is much more important, especially if a non-electric isolation valve is used, as few drivers will bother to turn off a manual valve every time they move.
Not allowed in the automotive industry, and yes the NRV should work but they are known to fail !

Upvote 1
Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017

View attachment 527096View attachment 527097
Same as mine, pipework goes into the vents in the gas locker, wrapped in bit of garden hose to prevent chaffing. Negligible or no gas or pressure in filler pipes so I am happy it is safe

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Same as ours but generally we don't fill with diesel and gas at the same places ....... Gas from Johnstons Oil in Newtown St Boswells (off the A68, take the north exit from the A68 and then the second left, LPG is the other side of the office) or Autogas 2000 near Thirsk (neither sell diesel).

If we do need both in the way home from "south" then Penny Petroleum near Powburn A697 - the LPG pump is well away from the diesel pumps so it's a question of moving the van. I just go in and explain what we are doing and they are more than happy.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
STEVE4SONN
Aug 14, 2021
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Merc Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a Newbie
But the way people drive these days isn't anywhere on the van a crash Zone, I am amazed on how bad the drivers are getting in the UK and I spend 65% of my working week in a vehicle these days.
But it is a valid point, the rear end is possibly the more frequently hit area.
However I think that Minxy-Girl did do a real good job of that filler cap installation, very neat & tidy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back