Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Odds on EX51SSS shortening !
Ha ha. No I've give up really as I think the personal attack about age and tablets was really childish and lacked sensible debating qualities.
I never have a problem with debates. In fact I organised quite a few at Uni and I accept people have different views but never bring to the level of personal attacks especially from a different forum.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've just got my bill from Sky down to £58 from over £90 a month, cancelled HD and it's add ons and dropped the sports bar 1 and 2 which still gives me footie and cricket and the opportunity to watch Hull v United with a decent picture unlike the quality I get from streaming, oh and 15% discount. They want to know the ins and outs of who watches what before they even begin to talk about discounts. Not a week later I get an email inviting me to add HD, sports and box sets for £6 pm, half price for a year. :RollEyes:

Oh and I agree, all these streaming freebies will one day go the way of Limewire which was a great source of all sorts stuff. Not that I used it.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, they are, but only because enough people pay to receive them legitimately to make it worthwhile for the broadcast companies to produce them in the first place.

How long do you think that would last if everyone followed your example, stopped paying and used pirated streams instead?
Not long.
Anyone remember ONDigital?
Subscription TV through the aerial via a set top box
They paid a bundle for Football Rights but didn't get enough paying subscriptions because anyone/everyone could enter a simple code into their set top box & get it for free. And so went bankrupt.

...but it was the failure of ONDigital, later ITV Digital which lead pretty directly to Freeview being established.

Not sure if that helps or hinders the arguments for/against piracy :unsure:?

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I scrapped Sky and totally got fed up with them trying to talk me round and offering up to 50% off to stay.

I have had Kodi for a long time but choose to dip in and use 'Now Tv' if there is something I really want to view, especially sport.

My family members have started buying me 'Now Tv' pre-payment weekly cards for Christmas/Birthdays, makes it easier for them when not knowing what to get.

Saved over £1000 since cancelling, that's a substantial saving in my book. Do I miss Sky, No.

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not long.
They paid a bundle for Football Rights but didn't get enough paying subscriptions because anyone/everyone could enter a simple code into their set top box & get it for free. And so went bankrupt.

...but it was the failure of ONDigital, later ITV Digital which lead pretty directly to Freeview being established.

It's a good example.

Did those football rights they paid so much for transition to Freeview with the rest of the channels? No, of course they didn't.

How much do the freeloaders think it costs to broadcast one football match - that's cameras, crew, transport, studio backroom, everything - never mind multiplying that to cover however many games Sky do each weekend?

Is anyone really naive enough to believe it would still happen if Sky didn't have enough subscribers to Sky Sports?

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Not long.

Very Interesting Ondigital.
BSKYB were part of the consortium with Carlton and Granada, but were forced to leave by the monopolies commission.
Ondigital over paid for football rights, with that and Sky lowering their prices,,and charging higher prices to view their content, it was up against it.

The nail in the coffin was the cracking of the encryption codes used. It was alleged that Sky helped to crack the codes and leaked them to the internet, allowing users to watch without paying.
In 2002 the company who supplied the system, Canal+, then sued News Corporation.

So the allegation was that Sky, were helping people to pirate Ondigital services.:)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So the allegation was that Sky, were helping people to pirate Ondigital services.:)
It's an allegation [or conspiracy theory] that hasn't really gone away but has only ever resulted in 'notional' damages, or the case being dropped [in Italy, where Murdoch bought out his accusers & formed Sky Italia] or lack of evidence despite a Whistle Blower.

As regards Piracy, it's obvious that it does have an effect but not as great as the copyright holders would have you believe - they still make vast profits - and I suspect it is just a "cost of doing business", rather like insurance premiums are hiked to cover the cost of uninsured claims.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As regards Piracy, it's obvious that it does have an effect but not as great as the copyright holders would have you believe - they still make vast profits - and I suspect it is just a "cost of doing business", rather like insurance premiums are hiked to cover the cost of uninsured claims.

At the moment the balance between those paying for the original broadcast and those accessing pirating streams is the right way so the copyright holders aren't all that bothered beyond going after the pirate websites as and when they get the opportunity.

If the balance tips too far the other way that will change as it did with music.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
At the moment the balance between those paying for the original broadcast and those accessing pirating streams is the right way so the copyright holders aren't all that bothered beyond going after the pirate websites as and when they get the opportunity.

If the balance tips too far the other way that will change as it did with music.
Agreed - there's a cost/reward assessment - they know they will never completely eradicate piracy, just as stores know they'll never stop shoplifting entirely. They just do enough to mitigate the costs.
Music is still pirated, but the market has moved on, the streaming model is more popular and has decimated physical music sales.
I read recently that the likes of Netflix, Hulu & Amazon Prime are having a detrimental effect on the DVD market.
You might say that Piracy is the least of the media creating industries problems.
(not that their PR would ever admit it)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Slightly off topic but I have asked this question many times and never had a definitive answer, on a Saturday, I can find the Stoke city game in about five different places on kodi , now you will appreciate that larger teams will have even more broadcasts, but when you go to the different sites there will be different commentators, I always try to find a Canadian one but that's by the by, where are these commentators, and where are the cameras, because you can get English , Russian , French and all sorts, are they at the game,if so where are they, because when they go to the relevant studio, they arent there.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Slightly off topic but I have asked this question many times and never had a definitive answer, on a Saturday, I can find the Stoke city game in about five different places on kodi , now you will appreciate that larger teams will have even more broadcasts, but when you go to the different sites there will be different commentators, I always try to find a Canadian one but that's by the by, where are these commentators, and where are the cameras, because you can get English , Russian , French and all sorts, are they at the game,if so where are they, because when they go to the relevant studio, they arent there.

No. There is only one set of cameras and crew at a game, in the case of the UK that will usually be Sky.

They licence their images to broadcasters in other countries, sometimes to be broadcast live sometimes not. These other broadcasters will obviously want to put their own commentary on to the pictures, especially where it's a non English speaking country. These commentators will be sat in a sound booth in their home country, not at the game.

The only exception to this tends to be major events like the World Cup final where there is provision for lots of media.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can't believe people will pay £92 or even £50 a month on top of the license fee to watch TV. Canceled Sky years ago when it got up to £15 a month, only had it if the first place as we used to get a lot of interference from local airport on terrestrial channels.

I must admit to using Kodi and I accept it is illegal and immoral, I do urge that anyone using Kodi do not do it via a PC or Laptop as you are connecting to illegal streams hosted on dodgy servers you are leaving yourself wide open to virus attacks. I only use a Firestick for Kodi.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No. There is only one set of cameras and crew at a game, in the case of the UK that will usually be Sky.

They licence their images to broadcasters in other countries, sometimes to be broadcast live sometimes not. These other broadcasters will obviously want to put their own commentary on to the pictures, especially where it's a non English speaking country. These commentators will be sat in a sound booth in their home country, not at the game.

The only exception to this tends to be major events like the World Cup final where there is provision for lots of media.
I know and understand this, but they always seem to know what's happening in other parts of the ground, not what is just on the screen, and in the case of the Canadian broadcasts, the people in the studio are Canadian but the commentators at the game are always British.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I know and understand this, but they always seem to know what's happening in other parts of the ground, not what is just on the screen, and in the case of the Canadian broadcasts, the people in the studio are Canadian but the commentators at the game are always British.

They probably recieve images from all cameras not just what the UK producer is putting on screen. I believe though that they have to use the UK production for their broadcast.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You quite often get shots of banks of commentators or analysts at games - so I imagine the pictures are probably provided by one company, sub contracted to Sky - maybe even provided by the stadium itself [a lot now have their own TV stations] and then broadcasters send their own commentating team...

blog-27.jpg

From Goodison Park, Everton's ground

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You quite often get shots of banks of commentators or analysts at games - so I imagine the pictures are probably provided by one company, sub contracted to Sky - maybe even provided by the stadium itself [a lot now have their own TV stations] and then broadcasters send their own commentating team...

blog-27.jpg

From Goodison Park, Everton's ground
That looks more like it(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can't believe people will pay £92 or even £50 a month on top of the license fee to watch TV. Canceled Sky years ago when it got up to £15 a month, only had it if the first place as we used to get a lot of interference from local airport on terrestrial channels.

I must admit to using Kodi and I accept it is illegal and immoral, I do urge that anyone using Kodi do not do it via a PC or Laptop as you are connecting to illegal streams hosted on dodgy servers you are leaving yourself wide open to virus attacks. I only use a Firestick for Kodi.
Yes only use firestick got one on both TVs, they are really good without kodi, we use one in the kitchen for all normal TV, no need for trailing aerial wires or anything , just works(y)(y):)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
This company provides at least some of the Outside Broadcasting for BT Sport & the BBC
<Broken link removed>
I doubt any TV Broadcaster has much in the way of in-house OB kit, just sub contract it when they want it.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I do not care about football but will miss my cycling which Eurosportare is excellent at. . "Bike" channel is good but not up ro ES.
Colyboy

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I watch WSB and BSB on Eurosport , so I would have to find another way of watching them if the worst happens.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
You get WSB MotoGP and WSB on ITV 4 but not live. It`s all about the money

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you get a firestick with kodi, you can get all the mentioned sports, either free or if you really want to you can subscribe to wherever it's coming from on line.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Plus you can get a speedway channel that has all the World Series right back to black and white

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

It appears that the change may be coming sooner rather than later...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...r-news/crackdown-on-illegal-kodi-use-12496153

http://www.techradar.com/news/home-...-the-uk-government-s-piracy-crackdown-1329651

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kodi-illegal-first-man-arrested-8889099

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back