Lorries in Spain (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I have an ongoing battle with lorries whilst driving in Spain. My van and it's little 1.3 engine trot along fine on the level roads but really struggle on the hills.

Gives me a bit of a conundrum if I see a lorry ahead of me as there is no point me passing it if there's a hill up ahead so I'm always trying to suss out the route in front. Last trip I was on I had built up a bit of speed and started to pass a lorry and of course mid pass the road got steeper. I just managed to pass him and pulled in but the van started to struggle. Of course driver was mightily pissed off at having to pull out to pass me and he let me know this by way of continued use of his horn.

Lesson learned but the other day I was on a long incline, had a bit of momentum going and passed a lorry no problem. Went back in to the slow lane and steadily pulled away from said lorry.

However later on it got steeper and I was crawling. The same lorry had caught me up pulled in to the middle lane and gave me a few peeps on his way by. The friendlier kinda peeps you get, not like the angry man I had cut off before.

I thought something was maybe loose on the bike rack or I was dribbling grey or something but everything was fine. So am I missing some kind of etiquette with passing/being passed by lorries or was this guy just being friendly?

Deleted User
I drive at 52 mph so rarely overtake lorries on the flat, this speed allows them to overtake me relatively easily, not much you can do about slowing down on the hills though and most lorry drivers will realise this.

It is the overtaking before a hill that is annoying but they do it themselves so if you want to go faster on the flat and overtake then crack on just try and read the road.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Of course driver was mightily pissed off at having to pull out to pass me and he let me know this by way of continued use of his horn.
You are quite lucky he didn't attempt to wipe you out coming back in .You get the odd one who will do it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Don’t forget the Spanish hgv’s dont have a throttle just an on/off switch

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
As an ex HGV driver, I know it is frustrating being 'just' overtaken, and then having to slow down because the 'overtaker' has run out of steam. On inclines, an HGV will try to keep the up the momentum of his/her truck, with the throttle flat on the floor. And once they ease off, it's like someone is pulling them backwards and can never recover the speed they were at.

To get 40 tons rolling takes a while, and to keep 40 tons rolling is an art. Like trying not to stop at traffic lights. No, not going through them, just anticipating the change, it's far easier to get moving from a slow pace, than a standing start.

Sometimes there's nothing you can do. I have caught up with slower moving vehicles on an uphill section, knowing full well they will leave me when it gets steeper, so you have to think ahead, and ease off a teensy weeny bit, and follow them.

Anticipation and reading the road and traffic ahead is a must.

Here's one I can never understand, In my car, in town, single lane approaching traffic lights with 2 lanes (right lane for straight on, left lane for left turn only with filter) and someone up my back end. As I head for the left lane, they pass at speed only to stop at a queue for the red light and I re-pass them to turn left. Are they so short sighted that hey cannot see the red light and stationary traffic ahead? What on earth goes through their mind to think that they have to pass, then stop in a few yards?

Craig

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Another thing to remember is that all spanish roads have a 'minimum' speed limit on them of 50% of the maximum ,except for some low limits around schools.
So if on the autovia & on a hill you are below 60kms/hr put on the hazard flashers as it lets others know & shows you've done all you could if someone runs into the back of you.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
On my first trip to Spain in the 1960s the lorries used to have a red and green light on the rear and they would let you know when it was ok to overtake ,this was great in the mountainous regions . It has been stopped nowadays as its probably deemed to be dangerous.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Another thing to remember is that all spanish roads have a 'minimum' speed limit on them of 50% of the maximum ,except for some low limits around schools.
So if on the autovia & on a hill you are below 60kms/hr put on the hazard flashers as it lets others know & shows you've done all you could if someone runs into the back of you.
Have seen some lorries with hazard lights on and worked out that it was because they were moving slower than most, but didn’t know about the minimum 50% requirement. Thank you. (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have an ongoing battle with lorries whilst driving in Spain. My van and it's little 1.3 engine trot along fine on the level roads but really struggle on the hills.

Gives me a bit of a conundrum if I see a lorry ahead of me as there is no point me passing it if there's a hill up ahead so I'm always trying to suss out the route in front. Last trip I was on I had built up a bit of speed and started to pass a lorry and of course mid pass the road got steeper. I just managed to pass him and pulled in but the van started to struggle. Of course driver was mightily pissed off at having to pull out to pass me and he let me know this by way of continued use of his horn.

Lesson learned but the other day I was on a long incline, had a bit of momentum going and passed a lorry no problem. Went back in to the slow lane and steadily pulled away from said lorry.

However later on it got steeper and I was crawling. The same lorry had caught me up pulled in to the middle lane and gave me a few peeps on his way by. The friendlier kinda peeps you get, not like the angry man I had cut off before.

I thought something was maybe loose on the bike rack or I was dribbling grey or something but everything was fine. So am I missing some kind of etiquette with passing/being passed by lorries or was this guy just being friendly?

Are you sure its a 1.3? i thought the smallest engine on the old talbots was a 1.9 Dont think they were re-mappable but AFAIK you could get a turbo kit.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
As an ex HGV driver, I know it is frustrating being 'just' overtaken, and then having to slow down because the 'overtaker' has run out of steam. On inclines, an HGV will try to keep the up the momentum of his/her truck, with the throttle flat on the floor. And once they ease off, it's like someone is pulling them backwards and can never recover the speed they were at.

To get 40 tons rolling takes a while, and to keep 40 tons rolling is an art. Like trying not to stop at traffic lights. No, not going through them, just anticipating the change, it's far easier to get moving from a slow pace, than a standing start.

Sometimes there's nothing you can do. I have caught up with slower moving vehicles on an uphill section, knowing full well they will leave me when it gets steeper, so you have to think ahead, and ease off a teensy weeny bit, and follow them.

Anticipation and reading the road and traffic ahead is a must.

Here's one I can never understand, In my car, in town, single lane approaching traffic lights with 2 lanes (right lane for straight on, left lane for left turn only with filter) and someone up my back end. As I head for the left lane, they pass at speed only to stop at a queue for the red light and I re-pass them to turn left. Are they so short sighted that hey cannot see the red light and stationary traffic ahead? What on earth goes through their mind to think that they have to pass, then stop in a few yards?

Craig
Modern drivers live on their brakes, its how they are taught.They don't change down the box to stop.That is why our roads come to a grinding halt in ice and snow..Never had hardly any brakes on trucks pre plating (1969/1970) BUSBY.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Modern drivers live on their brakes, its how they are taught.They don't change down the box to stop.That is why our roads come to a grinding halt in ice and snow..Never had hardly any brakes on trucks pre plating (1969/1970) BUSBY.
I wonder what would they do should brake fade kick in? I've had it, and no doubt you have had it.

Craig

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The problem( not for them ) with trucks now is that often its the speed limiter that holds them back , as many now are very powerful just so they can get up to speed quicker and don't slow on hills , its the only way they can increase productivity , as they cant just go faster . If you know that your vehicle is a bit underpowered for hills and you are in hilly area , just stay behind the truck , unless you are on dual carriageway or motorway . It will make very little difference to your journey times. I usually travel at about 59 mph , as the auto goes into 6th (top) at that speed and this means that I only slowly gain on trucks , so can stay on cruise longer , and still get best economy :)

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Are you sure its a 1.3? i thought the smallest engine on the old talbots was a 1.9 Dont think they were re-mappable but AFAIK you could get a turbo kit.

1.3 petrol. She's a beast.

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
The problem( not for them ) with trucks now is that often its the speed limiter that holds them back , as many now are very powerful just so they can get up to speed quicker and don't slow on hills , its the only way they can increase productivity , as they cant just go faster . If you know that your vehicle is a bit underpowered for hills and you are in hilly area , just stay behind the truck , unless you are on dual carriageway or motorway . It will make very little difference to your journey times. I usually travel at about 59 mph , as the auto goes into 6th (top) at that speed and this means that I only slowly gain on trucks , so can stay on cruise longer , and still get best economy :)
Tell that to the tw*t that took my roof light off somewhere Mont de Marsan way must have been doing 100 kph ish and passed me in the opposite direction within inches. I thought it became suddenly noisier, had to make a hasty repair with bunty cords.

Deleted User
Tell that to the tw*t that took my roof light off somewhere Mont de Marsan way must have been doing 100 kph ish and passed me in the opposite direction within inches. I thought it became suddenly noisier, had to make a hasty repair with bunty cords.

How exactly did a truck going in the opposite direction take your roof light off?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
How exactly did a truck going in the opposite direction take your roof light off?
Its the pressure wave in front that does it , likewise the low pressure area down the sides near front will pull overtaken vehicle sideways .
I always give caravans a wide berth if getting a move on , as it will make them start to snake .

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Is it law to put on the hazards if reduced to half the speed limit or just good manners? Maybe that's why the guy was peeping. I can't think what else it could have been.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I wonder what would they do should brake fade kick in? I've had it, and no doubt you have had it.

Craig

Only the once,,S,it myself,,lost all my air once,,kept dabbing the pedal because it sounded good,,young and stupid,,it was before spring brakes..Had a signal come up on the dash and a buzzer to warn you..Hardly ever touch brake pedal now days..BUSBY

Nigel Tate

Free Member
Feb 4, 2011
Matlock
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
You are quite lucky he didn't attempt to wipe you out coming back in .You get the odd one who will do it.
I had that in France last year.on a single carriageway and obeying the speed limit,I was obviously driving too slow. He got alongside and started to pull in and put me in the ditch. Bastard. Frightened my wife to death.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back