Long term solution to surface rust bubbling up on underside. (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Agreed. I might change my username to NobodyListens...:cool:
John
You should know by now that if you’re over 55,had a long and successful career, helped bring up a family, been around the world a bit, maybe built up your own business, been up and down the greasy pole, recovered from a few knocks in life.....(you get the picture)..............................

Nobody listens!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:;);)

You may as well sit in a corner and dribble! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But WE all know the truth😂👍

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
You should know by now that if you’re over 55,had a long and successful career, helped bring up a family, been around the world a bit, maybe built up your own business, been up and down the greasy pole, recovered from a few knocks in life.....(you get the picture)..............................

Nobody listens!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:;);)

You may as well sit in a corner and dribble! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

But WE all know the truth😂👍
Did you write my autobiography.
Ps i was at cern the day the higgs boson was confirmed ( not the day it was released to the public)
But just a little man
So small that my son was really confused when a professor of particle physics asked me a question expecting an answer.

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
OK so i have a product which is a rust remover.

I plan to go over everything with a wire brush first
Then apply the rust remover (should i put it in a spray bottle or apply with a brush?)
Then wait a couple of days and apply the spray grease.

That sound ok?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I wouldn't bother with the rust remover, the grease might not stick to it, save that for the bodywork 👍

4Travel

Free Member
Aug 17, 2018
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2016
I wouldn't bother with the rust remover, the grease might not stick to it, save that for the bodywork 👍
He needs to kill the rust first, just as many others have said, grease may help stop it getting worse but far better to kill it before sealing it in.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Well if you put other stuff on first I can't vouch for grease.. You're in unknown territory. Good luck 🍀🤞... I'm out 👋

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Which product are you using?
Different methods may apply .
Fertan can be applied either by brush or spraying and excess converted rust washed of with water or just left there.
Phosphoric acid types need to be washed off or they attack non rusted areas( bare metal and paint). Brushing keeps the product where its needed. Whichever products you use read the instructions. If you have to wash with water make shure you dry before adding your barrier method (grease waxoyl dinitrol)
I had my bongo direct from Japan and had a cowboy waxoyl it, within the price paid. He hadn't even removed the spare wheel, so i did it myself having removed most i could easily with white spirit. I also diluted with white spirit as well as heating in hot water. It was just as good 6 yrs later when sold mot man well impressed , a top up may be required in certain areas.

OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
Hi

Im using Wagner rust converter. Ive diluted it 2 parts water and 1 part product and im spraying it on the rust after ive gone over it with a wire brush. then depending on where on the van it is, ill be leaving it 2-14 days and spraying over the area with MANNOL 8121 Greasing White Grease Lubricating Lithium Spray Lubricant

Should I paint the area first if I can reach it, or just put this spray grease directly on? I do have some anticorrosion paint handy.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
From the weber site
dilute with water at a ratio of 1:2 or 1:5. The fluid should remain on the surface to be derusted for 1-2 days. If necessary, re-wet the surface from time to time and if required repeat the process to achieve the desired effect
Lastly carefully clean all treated surfaces with acetone or brake cleaner to neutralize the Rust Converter. After the surface is dry any final protective coatings can be applied (tank sealer, paint, etc.)
So 2 days of keeping it wet, then clean/ nutralize with solvent, dry and then protective coatings. If you allready got the paint and inclination why not.

I you haven't bought the weber stuff i would seriously recommend fertan as known and less faffing on nutralizing. But if you have it get on with it. Try 1to 2 see how long it takes to dry change colour and spray again or dilute to 1to 4 and spray especially on the thicker rust.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back