Lessening the weight (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
A few weeks ago I read on this forum about reducing the weight, our member Lenny mentioned getting rid of the bed and sleeping on a yoga mat, he was joking (I think)? but got me thinking , how about replacing the mattress with an air bed with perhaps a memory foam topper, is that a daft idea ?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Probably depends on your requirements for sleeping comfort ?
Have you ever tried sleeping on an air bed, they're not the best for comfort

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Depends what you have now as well. I was thinking I could save a bit of weight by changing the mattress. Not sure what they fit these days but ours was replaced a few years back with a 1000 spring 9 inch thick mattress. No I didn’t count springs that’s what was stated on it lol. I know it quite heavy and no way the gas struts could hold it up.

It’s so comfy it will stay but would be nice sometimes to be able to get easy under bed access

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Would you like to share why you are thinking of a fairly radical move to save payload?

Would help if you advised make/model etc of the MH you have AND any accessories you have had fitted (need weighbridge details for axles and gross weight and if loaded or not, fuels/water status at the time)
You may have read a few posts on the subject so, fess up and folks on MHF will do their best to help.

But be aware sometimes that's not what you were expecting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Would you like to share why you are thinking of a fairly radical move to save payload?

Would help if you advised make/model etc of the MH you have AND any accessories you have had fitted (need weighbridge details for axles and gross weight and if loaded or not, fuels/water status at the time)
You may have read a few posts on the subject so, fess up and folks on MHF will do their best to help.

But be aware sometimes that's not what you were expecting

Don't get so technical/accurate on weights! You might frighten the 'children'

But you are quite right.

OP
OP
H
Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
Just to be clear, I'm not going to do it I thought I'd put the idea out there and see the reaction , I must admit I didn't expect the third degree. But I did think it may make people think especially if they are struggling with weight (the Van not the person)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Don't get so technical/accurate on weights! You might frighten the 'children'

But you are quite right.
Alas when stopped here or in the EU for being over weight it can be painful. But maybe not as much as being in an accident (fault or not) and being advised you were over weight therefore your claim has been ...............

EDIT, life is full of choices, just try to make the right ones.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With all these discussions about reducing weight be a few kilos it occurs to me to say that if that becomes critical then the poster has got the wrong MH and/or the wrong licence.
Agree buy a van with a decent payload and have no worries.
IMO any van with a payload less than 1000kg is not worth buying.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Air beds are notorious for going down. I replaced a steel framed sliding bench beds for 25mm square aluminium extrusion which knocked off around 80kgs and made it much easier to set bed up at night and store stuff during the day.

OP
OP
H
Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
With all these discussions about reducing weight be a few kilos it occurs to me to say that if that becomes critical then the poster has got the wrong MH and/or the wrong licence.
Wot you on about. I've never said that I wanted to change my bed I merely put the idea out there as a result of a previous discussion

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Wot you on about. I've never said that I wanted to change my bed I merely put the idea out there as a result of a previous discussion
If you were thinking about doing it, and I know you are not ;) I would say that it's not a good idea as you would very likely get a lot of condensation between the memory foam mattress topper and the plastic of the airbed, beds need to breathe underneath the mattress.

OP
OP
H
Jun 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680
If you were thinking about doing it, and I know you are not ;) I would say that it's not a good idea as you would very likely get a lot of condensation between the memory foam mattress topper and the plastic of the airbed, beds need to breathe underneath the mattress.
Good point

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Air beds are notorious for going down. I replaced a steel framed sliding bench beds for 25mm square aluminium extrusion which knocked off around 80kgs and made it much easier to set bed up at night and store stuff during the day.
Be nice to be in bed and have something go down on you…..oh the memories 🙄😇😀

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Agree buy a van with a decent payload and have no worries.
IMO any van with a payload less than 1000kg is not worth buying.
You need that Lenny because of the size of your wallet,,BUSBY 😁😁😁

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back