LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't think that is right, I have paid this year but havnt found it any different than before.
There must be some way to get the map up.
Appear to have changed it this year now you can only get satellite view on the paid version was OK before.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lazyboy went up and down a steep twisty road in the wet today van behaved faultlessly.
Traction control not cutting in at all would definitely suggest that on previous occasions the electronics have been "playing up"
For the ABS to cut in at very low speeds would also confirm as ABS is designed not to operate below a certain speed. I do not know what that is on a Ducato but I would think something around 20mph. I think it needs a good doctor to look at it. Maybe a commercial vehicle dealer that also has a Fiat franchise. Someone like Guest Trucks although they are Midlands based or Imperial Commercials if you have a depot near you. I certainly would not take it to a standalone Fiat dealer as I doubt they have the experience. It is good news that when the electronics are functioning correctly that you appear to have solved the tyre issue.
[/QUOTE]
Common to both traction control and ABS are the wheel speed sensors. They have a hard life as on most vehicles they're behind the discs. They are simple things - normally a coil on a magnet near a toothed wheel but they and their connectors are in a pretty harsh environment. Traction control is entirely operated by the ABS pump so that's another area of concern. Given that the fault is intermittent or varies in its effect I'd be tempted to check out the wheel sensors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Appear to have changed it this year now you can only get satellite view on the paid version was OK before.
Genuine interest in this mate, not sticking up for p4n , if what you say is right , don't see why they have gone backwards, is there some sort of other icon to click on.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Traction control not cutting in at all would definitely suggest that on previous occasions the electronics have been "playing up"
For the ABS to cut in at very low speeds would also confirm as ABS is designed not to operate below a certain speed. I do not know what that is on a Ducato but I would think something around 20mph. I think it needs a good doctor to look at it. Maybe a commercial vehicle dealer that also has a Fiat franchise. Someone like Guest Trucks although they are Midlands based or Imperial Commercials if you have a depot near you. I certainly would not take it to a standalone Fiat dealer as I doubt they have the experience. It is good news that when the electronics are functioning correctly that you appear to have solved the tyre issue.
Common to both traction control and ABS are the wheel speed sensors. They have a hard life as on most vehicles they're behind the discs. They are simple things - normally a coil on a magnet near a toothed wheel but they and their connectors are in a pretty harsh environment. Traction control is entirely operated by the ABS pump so that's another area of concern. Given that the fault is intermittent or varies in its effect I'd be tempted to check out the wheel sensors.
[/QUOTE]
Good idea might be worth changing them it only started playing up last year.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When I click on itinerary, I get this choice of mapping, the second one down is Google maps then when I click on this it goes to normal navigation on Google maps.
Screenshot_20201025-205750.png

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Battery capacity at 20h rate 78a/h x 3 batteries Sonnenschein Gel.

2 batteries 4½ years old, 1 battery 3½ years old never been heavily discharged before this trip.
Float charge 13.8v, absorption 14.2 - 14.4v

Ave daily discharge 35 a/h
Peak discharge normal 6 amp, inverter used ocassionly 5 min @65 amps (used once on this trip fitst day on the Tunnel for a brew)
E bikes charged once or twice on a trip 35 amps for 2½hours x 2. Not been used on this trip.

Engine charging 15 to 25 amps.
Solar 300 Watts (Votronic 350 MMP regulator) main source of charging normally but not been much sun on this trip.
Mains EBL 18 amp charges at 16 amps if batteries are low rarely used.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for that. This is what I would try for 1-2 weeks and see if the percentage of SOC is in sync with voltage.

-Battery capacity 210ah, average 2,5% decay per year and a total of 10% derate; unless you do a capacity test, this is a fair average derate based on shallow cycling and low peak draw.
- charged voltage 14,1v with absorb set on all charging sources at 14,2v. Unless you have temperature compensating charging, you have no reason to move higher. If you set this any lower, it will trigger sync prematurely.
-discharge floor 50%
-tail current 1,5%, any higher will again trigger premature sync. It has to be low to account for low solar harvest.
-charged detection time 15 mins, you can increase this later if needed.
- charge efficiency factor 75%, this is because you shallow cycle and you are replacing most of the energy on the most inefficient stage:( absorb).
- peukert exponent 1.25, you can decrease this if soc estimation is smaller than voltage, and vice versa. But it’s a good middle ground for Pb since the effect is not linear, it is all dependable on rate of charge/discharge.
- current threshold 0.1a ,

Once you have all this dialled into the bmv, it should sync close to 100% soc. It will take more than one synchronisation to adjust its efficiency, and peukert effect, under various charging and discharging rates. The bmv will account for c20 to c100 load/charge, and will adjust accordingly it’s time to go, based on the rate.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Good idea might be worth changing them it only started playing up last year.
[/QUOTE]
My thoughts too - but have a look at the reluctor discs before doing anything with the sensors themselves. The teeth can rot away or become bridged my magnetic corrosion - although I'm not sure what form they take on the Ducato.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Why would the country you are leaving be interested?
Surely the one you are entering should be doing the question asking!

If thats the case why bother having anybody at the border control?
They are not even interested when we go the other way :giggle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I get that but is says only avaliable in paid version.
We just click on Sygic and it takes us straight to the aire etc. You can only see photos in the paid version when not connected to the internet - were you connected when you tried to view it on Google?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
If thats the case why bother having anybody at the border control?
They are not even interested when we go the other way :giggle:
Wouldn’t it be good if this continues for a few years,90 day restriction out of the window.(y)

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi guys & girls, I've been a bit rough the last few days, I think I overdid it on Mon & Tues. Had a blood test today just to make sure everything is OK.

Got home Tues afternoon, end of another trip probably best forgotten this one don't think I'll put a link in my signature.

A bit of a short trip only 1147 miles and despite spending 5 nights on a very expensive SP & another 2 on an expensive one total camping costs averaged €3 per night.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry your trip turned into a bit of a disaster. I hope you'll take it easy now, and let your family spoil you, while you join the rest of us in dreaming about good weather next spring, when an effective vaccine is available and we're free to travel at will. 🏖🏕🌅

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
May have been a blessing in disguise, from people I known in the UK it seems to take 1 to 3 years to get a galldblader removed they keep getting sent home from the hospital with painkillers & antibiotics.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I had 2 stays in hospital ist time was a week in Bulgarian intensive care then flown home to be sent home with medication. and it took 3 months ish to recover properly.
Then about a year later 3 days local hospital it was then they agreed it needed to come out. but as they felt they had it under control!!! there was a 3 - 4 month waiting list, so 3 months later it was removed. they recovery phase from the OP was a doddle compared to the recovery from the effects my blocked gall bladder had on my pancreas.

you are having get over both together Lenny thats why i say " take it steady"!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Lenny I am pleased that you are home safe and can take it easy for a bit now.

One thing I don't think you commented on was the admin around your hospital stay. Did you just use your EHIC or did you have to resort to insurance? If you resorted to insurance how did it go and are you prepared to comment on who you were with and how helpful they were and the process involved?

I think the process is important as my daughter who is a school teacher, used to organise trips to New York for the school and had a situation with a colleague where a credit card had to be swiped before any treatment took place, regardless of proof of insurance with a big burly security guard standing over them in what could only be described as a threatening manner. The insurance company were imploring them not to use the credit card which they had to disregard!

I am sure Germany is very different but something serious like this would be useful to know.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its not all about you!!
I feel sorry for your wife. She has had an absolute shyte holiday. A lot of the time on her own worrying about you. Not knowing if the water/batteries And cassete will last!
she must of been living the dream!😩
... or enjoying the peace and quiet! :giggle:

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
One thing I don't think you commented on was the admin around your hospital stay. Did you just use your EHIC or did you have to resort to insurance? If you resorted to insurance how did it go and are you prepared to comment on who you were with and how helpful they were and the process involved?
At the doctors and the hospital just gave them my EHIC card.
When I got home did have a bill from the hospital for the part that wasn't covered, stays of less than 28 days they charge you €10 a day so €70, less than the insurance excess.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back