Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
An hour and a half walking? That’s great keep up the slow and steady. It’s going to take a while to get back your fitness so don’t over do it. Slowly increase it. If you have a bad day do a shorter walk but do a walk. Great to see your improving.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
An hour and a half walking? That’s great keep up the slow and steady. It’s going to take a while to get back your fitness so don’t over do it. Slowly increase it. If you have a bad day do a shorter walk but do a walk. Great to see your improving.
That was a shorter walk, bear in mind I'm walking at half my normal speed

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny...something you didn't mention in previous posts was, how you managed to summon medical services on a Sunday (when you fell ill).

Guess you must have phoned an emergency number and they sent a paramedic to your Stellplatz location to assess your medical situation.

Might help others stranded in a foreign country with a medical emergency (not fluent in the local language) to know what the procedures are.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Good to see the emergency services Mi training instruction is in full swing :giggle:
I did say to the boss you might need to call112 but she didn't think I was that bad. Monday morning just as bad painkillers didn't work.
On Google there were 3 or 4 doctors in the small town Mi phoned the nearest one and got an appointment for 2:30 Blimey that was a painful walk up the hill to the surgery.
Doctor gave me an ultrasonic scan and said you have a gallbladder infection, you need to go straight to the hospital. Wrote down the name of the hospital and called a taxi.

A bit of confusion at the hospital partly due to not arriving in an ambulance and language took quite a while but once booked in treatment was superb.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Going very slow and ABS cutting in seems more of a fault than tyre issues to me and as the traction control is interconnected with the ABS it may be an electronic issue. It may be worth getting a diagnostic meter on it.
Take care and watch those expenses!!
Been there done that main dealer agreed traction control cut in more than expect but said nothing wrong and charged me a fortune for the privilege.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Raul I would appreciate your comments please.

When I first installed the BMV I followed Victron instruction but found the voltage compared to state of charge quite a bit different.
I then reset it on the advice of these guys.

I found it a lot better after that, I left the Peukert Exponent at 1.25 as the gel batteries were over a year old when I fitted it.

I did forget to sync it before this trip but that would only make a few % different.
What worries me is the BMV was showing the state of charge at 40% and voltage of 11.7v. I reckon the batteries were down to at least 20 % if not lower.
Concerning as when the batteries are low is when you need the most accurate readings.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Nice walk this morning.

1020278_copy_1024x768.jpg

1020280_copy_1024x768.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Raul I would appreciate your comments please.

When I first installed the BMV I followed Victron instruction but found the voltage compared to state of charge quite a bit different.
I then reset it on the advice of these guys.

I found it a lot better after that, I left the Peukert Exponent at 1.25 as the gel batteries were over a year old when I fitted it.

I did forget to sync it before this trip but that would only make a few % different.
What worries me is the BMV was showing the state of charge at 40% and voltage of 11.7v. I reckon the batteries were down to at least 20 % if not lower.
Concerning as when the batteries are low is when you need the most accurate readings.
Hi Lenny,
That’s a very good article and in depth explanation, totally agree with their study and thanks for the link.

I need to know few things before I can give you a informed answer.
- battery capacity at 20h rate
-age of batteries
- assume is gel: float voltage, absorb voltage
- average ah daily discharge
- peak amp draw
- Recharge capacity amps from solar, b2b and ehu, each separate, and which is mostly used/ relied on to recharge.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny,
That’s a very good article and in depth explanation, totally agree with their study and thanks for the link.

I need to know few things before I can give you a informed answer.
- battery capacity at 20h rate
-age of batteries
- assume is gel: float voltage, absorb voltage
- average ah daily discharge
- peak amp draw
- Recharge capacity amps from solar, b2b and ehu, each separate, and which is mostly used/ relied on to recharge.
Battery capacity at 20h rate 78a/h x 3 batteries Sonnenschein Gel.

2 batteries 4½ years old, 1 battery 3½ years old never been heavily discharged before this trip.
Float charge 13.8v, absorption 14.2 - 14.4v

Ave daily discharge 35 a/h
Peak discharge normal 6 amp, inverter used ocassionly 5 min @65 amps (used once on this trip fitst day on the Tunnel for a brew)
E bikes charged once or twice on a trip 35 amps for 2½hours x 2. Not been used on this trip.

Engine charging 15 to 25 amps.
Solar 300 Watts (Votronic 350 MMP regulator) main source of charging normally but not been much sun on this trip.
Mains EBL 18 amp charges at 16 amps if batteries are low rarely used.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
chaser & Northernraider I really don't understand how you guys manage to use park4night.
Every time we try it it's a total disaster, tried this afternoon. The coordinates were totally wrong when we did finally find it ¾hr later there was a brand new farmhouse & barn there.
Found our own wild spot in a forestry carpark.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well after the disaster with Park4night see privious post, it was even worse as we went past that place and came across a bend with a very narrow bridge. Had to reverse a few 100yds to get out of that.

Found ourself a nice forest car park in the Eifel National Park.

IMG_20201025_170757_copy_1024x768.jpg

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I tend to use search for sites. Most of the time when I have looked at park4night they are either no longer there or no overnight allowed.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
chaser & Northernraider i really don't understand how you guys manage to use park4night.
Every time we try it it's a total disaster, tried this afternoon. The coordinates were totally wrong when we did finally find it ¾hr later there was a brand new farmhouse & barn there.
I don't know what you do wrong ....never failed to find a spot with it.

Sometimes the coordinates have been slightly out but ive then just looked at the map and can see where im meant to be.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
In the Eifel Lenny HB dont know if you can still do this.... but as you are in the Eifel may be worth a shout.

there is an EX Hitler youth training camp called Vogelsang! became a military training area with civi access to the lake and some buildings.

A place to view. beautiful lake in the forest, a running track with large balcony where apparently Hitler reviewed parading youths, under which there is an indoor pool with a huge walled mosaic of blonde haired muscular males.

loads of status in the grounds all littered in bullet holes, even the accommodation blocks still had the marks of conflict.

a word of warning if you do go its a steep climb from the lake upto the barrack area....
i remember it well as it was one of our pre breakfast runs....

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In the Eifel Lenny HB dont know if you can still do this.... but as you are in the Eifel may be worth a shout.

there is an EX Hitler youth training camp called Vogelsang! became a military training area with civi access to the lake and some buildings.

A place to view. beautiful lake in the forest, a running track with large balcony where apparently Hitler reviewed parading youths, under which there is an indoor pool with a huge walled mosaic of blonde haired muscular males.

loads of status in the grounds all littered in bullet holes, even the accommodation blocks still had the marks of conflict.

a word of warning if you do go its a steep climb from the lake upto the barrack area....

Would have been nice to have a look at but have to make an early start for the tunnel in the morning.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

I was not aware you were in the Hitler youth

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Have you tried the one step forward two steps backward walking method?
You get plenty of exercise without actually going anywhere, in fact you finish up walking toward the MH rather than walking away from it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Keep up the good work,but steady.
We’ve all done that at some time or another haven’t we...........it’s called being pistolated. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::drinks::drinks::drinks:

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have you tried the one step forward two steps backward walking method?
You get plenty of exercise without actually going anywhere, in fact you finish up walking toward the MH rather than walking away from it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Keep up the good work,but steady.
Limiting myself to one beer a day so no chance. :ROFLMAO:

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Lazyboy went up and down a steep twisty road in the wet today van behaved faultlessly.
[/QUOTE]
Traction control not cutting in at all would definitely suggest that on previous occasions the electronics have been "playing up"
For the ABS to cut in at very low speeds would also confirm as ABS is designed not to operate below a certain speed. I do not know what that is on a Ducato but I would think something around 20mph. I think it needs a good doctor to look at it. Maybe a commercial vehicle dealer that also has a Fiat franchise. Someone like Guest Trucks although they are Midlands based or Imperial Commercials if you have a depot near you. I certainly would not take it to a standalone Fiat dealer as I doubt they have the experience. It is good news that when the electronics are functioning correctly that you appear to have solved the tyre issue.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I took it to Adams Morley at Portsmouth who are supposed to be very good, I was not impressed with them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
chaser & Northernraider I really don't understand how you guys manage to use park4night.
What I do is ignore co odds, when you see one you like click on it then when the description comes up click on itinerary then you will have a choice of mapping, click on Google and then Google maps will come up, then you can see where it is taking you to, zoom in and you can see where it is, you can even go on street mapping and see the actual place.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
What I do is ignore co odds, when you see one you like click on it then when the description comes up click on itinerary then you will have a choice of mapping, click on Google and then Google maps will come up, then you can see where it is taking you to, zoom in and you can see where it is, you can even go on street mapping and see the actual place.
Can only do that on the paid app now, not paying for an app I have no confidence in.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can only do that on the paid app now, not paying for an app I have no confidence in.
Don't think that is right, I have paid this year but havnt found it any different than before.
There must be some way to get the map up.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I took it to Adams Morley at Portsmouth who are supposed to be very good, I was not impressed with them.
Last time I took one of my MAN tipper lorry’s into them it had the front smashed off by another lorry in the parking area.
They forgot to tell me before we went to collect it then didn’t want to pay for all new bits☹

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back