Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Leisuredrive
Exp
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone has dealt with this before and could offer any advice.

Tomorrow I'm collecting our new purchase, a 2007 Transit Leisuredrive. It's in really good original condition but it is 10 years old and I'll be putting right some small and minor bits of rust. I'm ok with body repairs so no issues here.

The van has Leisuredrives GRP high top. The moulded roof joins the van body neatly around the sides and rear at the vans steel gutter. At the front, just above the windscreen is a seal strip, this strip is a bit of a bad design and has been holding water causing some small rust patches to the steel van body where it makes contact. I wondered if anyone had faced this problem before? I haven't been able to start pulling at it yet but I'm wondering how this seal could be removed, it appears to be pinched between roof and van body ??

I have emailed Leisuredrive but I've not yet heard back.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to tinkering, I'll let you know how I get on.

Pete

OP
OP
Weimarunner

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi, for future ref for anyone tackling this job :
Unsurprisingly Leisuredrive never did get back to me regarding the rotted roof seal. I sorted it myself in the end and have hopefully made a better job than the original. See this album for a photos and if anyone needs advise please feel free to get in touch. Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We weren't much help, sorry.

Now I'll throw doubt on your fix. That trim, if it's like what I've seen in the past is a metal "claw" with plastic coating. Whenever I've seen it the metal has gone rotten. Hopefully I'm totally wrong in my assessment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Looks a neat job to me but might be like the Forth bridge!! ( but then aren't lots of jobs)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Now I'll throw doubt on your fix. That trim, if it's like what I've seen in the past is a metal "claw" with plastic coating. Whenever I've seen it the metal has gone rotten. Hopefully I'm totally wrong in my assessment.
I Concur Brian 100%, Big improvement for now!
But I suspect he found the newish all plastic version :xcool:

OP
OP
Weimarunner

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp

Hi, I use this trim a lot to trim raw grp edges on boats. This particular trim has a stainless metal spline in 75mm sections with 25mm spline free sections in between. If you work out your cut ends to be at the 25mm gap there's no exposed metal to rust.

I edged the wheel house, bulkhead door and the gunnels edges all round on my boat twelve years ago, the boats moored in langstone harbour and takes a bashing in the solent when in use, no signs of any rotting or rusting so fingers crossed for the van.

I can't believe this is how Leisuredrive finished it originally. I was planning on finishing it in a nice neat bead of sika-flex without the use of channel trim until I saw how uneven Leisuredrive had cut the grp edge. I had no option but to trim it, although this time I've sealed all edges so no water can get into the trim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weimarunner

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
No problem at all H, glad of all feedback just thought I'd reply for future reference purposes. There is the right kit out there, unfortunately the market is flooded with cheap alternatives that will rust out. Mail order chandlers is the place to look or pester a boat yard for a few meters.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back