Leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot New Life
Exp
Since 2017
Morning all. We are in our Peugeot New Life, currently on a site with no hook up. We have been on our big trip for 3 months and have used the leisure battery with absolutely no problems. The indicator thingy above the door shows that the battery is full.

This morning the leisure battery is turning off every 2-3 minutes. We can turn it on again - there is a switch above the door - and if I turn it off and on again it stays on for a couple of minutes then turns off. The only thing currently using the leisure battery is the fridge; I have switched that off from using the 12v power, to no avail.

I know that we will need to get it looked at professionally, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas that we could do ourselves. Obviously we will have to wait until it is daylight to have a proper look at connections cos the lights aren't working!!

Thanks, Liz

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds like your battery has dropped below the critical level and is shutting down. If not on hook up how is the battery being charged ? There is a thread going about how long can you last off hook up with a compressor fridge if that is what you have.

A tester always comes in handy 👍

DB0592CA-A38C-4807-87E4-EE9CC2C2965A.jpeg

OP
OP
B
Sep 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot New Life
Exp
Since 2017
We were on hook up til yesterday morning; we have been moving from site to site. I may have to invest in one of those testers!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
So all the time away you were on EHU, and all was ok? You’ve now unplugged the EHU and 12v supply won’t remain on any more. Is that correct?

Does your fridge also run off gas? If so it won’t be running on your leisure batteries.

OP
OP
B
Sep 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot New Life
Exp
Since 2017
We have been on both hook up pitches and non hook up pitches the entire time, just dependant on where we were and what was available. All has been fine. We had 3 nights with no hook up back in September and everything worked like a dream. It's a brand new problem that seems to have happened overnight - we parked up about 4 yesterday afternoon, the fridge stayed on, we watched the telly til about half 9, had lights on - all good. As I say, we have done this all trip with absolutely no issues. It's a completely new problem.

Apr 13, 2013
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One
Try. Starting the engine and see if everything stays on, if so then the batteries have gone down. Happened to me a few years ago exactly the same.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Try. Starting the engine and see if everything stays on, if so then the batteries have gone down. Happened to me a few years ago exactly the same.
May not work if it is one of those motorhomes that shuts down the domestic electrics when the engine is running. A most unhelpful arrangement that seems to come with some systems.

OP
OP
B
Sep 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot New Life
Exp
Since 2017
That's exactly what I have just done and everything is on. I feel a bit daft now! I had no idea they could drain sort of out of the blue! We will leave the engine running a while and see how they are. May have to go for a big old drive to get charged up again I guess.

OP
OP
B
Sep 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot New Life
Exp
Since 2017
Just shows that the indicator above the door which says that the battery is full is not worth looking at!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That's exactly what I have just done and everything is on. I feel a bit daft now! I had no idea they could drain sort of out of the blue! We will leave the engine running a while and see how they are. May have to go for a big old drive to get charged up again I guess.
Better to go for a drive than leave the engine running without a load on it.

OP
OP
B
Sep 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot New Life
Exp
Since 2017
We will. Mrs. Begley isn't up yet, so I am just gonna run the engine long enough to be able to heat a tank of water and have enough light to feed the dogs, and then we will go for a big cruise!

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
May not work if it is one of those motorhomes that shuts down the domestic electrics when the engine is running. A most unhelpful arrangement that seems to come with some systems.
I understand this idea of automatically turning off all habitation electrics when the engine is running is to avoid any electrical interference ( High Intensity Radiated Field) causing trouble with the engine ECU etc. It is a result of lazy design, rather than doing things properly with adequate seperation of systems and shielding it is cheaper to just turn it off. Swift used to favour that approach.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We will. Mrs. Begley isn't up yet, so I am just gonna run the engine long enough to be able to heat a tank of water and have enough light to feed the dogs, and then we will go for a big cruise!
Really not advisable to run the engine stationary, can do expensive damage. Modern diesel engine never get up to temperature on tickover and should be driven off immediately after starting.

If the battery is flat it will need around 200 miles or more driving to fully charge it.

If you have a compressor fridge to stay off grid for more than a night or two you need at least two batteries and 300 Watts of solar. Even that wouldn't work this time of year in the UK.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just shows that the indicator above the door which says that the battery is full is not worth looking at!
It only displays voltage with a good battery it will give you a good idea of the state of charge but if will not be much of a guide if the battery is naff.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
A picture of your display showing what the hab battery is displaying would be useful.

OP
OP
B
Sep 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot New Life
Exp
Since 2017
OK, engine now off! I don't think we will manage 200 miles. We may just bail and head home. Our big adventure is officially finished, we were just gonna hang out in our favourite sea side town for an extra couple of days.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The trouble with lead acid batteries is they can sulphate. This doesn’t stop them from charging up to the normal voltage but the capacity is reduced, so a 100Ah battery may only have 50Ah working. I think of it like calcium silting up a hot water tank, the pressure is ok but the volume of hot water is much reduced. Voltage is a very limited indicator of a healthy battery.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The trouble with lead acid batteries is they can sulphate. This doesn’t stop them from charging up to the normal voltage but the capacity is reduced, so a 100Ah battery may only have 50Ah working. I think of it like calcium silting up a hot water tank, the pressure is ok but the volume of hot water is much reduced. Voltage is a very limited indicator of a healthy battery.
I understand that this is one advantage of Gel in that they don't suffer the same.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
OK, engine now off! I don't think we will manage 200 miles. We may just bail and head home. Our big adventure is officially finished, we were just gonna hang out in our favourite sea side town for an extra couple of days.
If the battery has had it, it wont charge properly anyway

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Yo
u may have damaged your Battety beyond repair. As continued use of dropping battery below 50% charge will bend the plates in battery and subsequently battery will no longer hold a full charge. Better than just going home, go and get a new battery fitted that will be fully charged so you can at least continue with your fun as if battery is knackered you will have to get a new one anyway and at least you will know how to look after new battery in future rather than try and soldier on with a possible knackered battery

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It sounds very much as if your battery is at the end of its life.
I'm assuming that your controller is switching off your habitation battery because there is insufficient power left in it.
As batteries get older, they lose capacity and don't last as long between charges. That doesn't matter if you are on EHU but you'll soon notice the difference when using the battery in Winter as they perform less well in the cold.
The life of a battery can be affected by many things but letting them go flat will shorten it considerably.
If you're not going to use it much over Winter, or can always be on EHU, I'd replace in the Spring, ready fr next season.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with above. I suspect your leisure battery has had it! When you hook up or run your engine your display is showing the voltage coming from the charging source and not what's in the battery. Get a shed load of solar and if you can add another leisure battery if you wwant tp spend a lot of time without hook up. Loads of advice on here on how to acheive that and something you can do yourself.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Fit a decent battery monitor, one of my favourite gadgets. You know exactly how the battery is feeling at all times 😍
16350743315642253553397778346090.jpg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The only thing currently using the leisure battery is the fridge; I have switched that off from using the 12v power, to no avail.
There's two kinds of fridge. One type (3-way) works from mains electric, 12V battery and gas. The other type (compressor) works just from electric, no gas. Can be 12V or mains voltage, or both. So is it 3-way or compressor?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
This looks interesting ? How long does the log record for and are the dates and times correct and adjustable.
The log started I think when I fitted it nearly a year ago.. This is the optimate 2 doing it's stuff during lay up.
Screenshot_20211025-213813_Battery Monitor.jpg

The dates and times are provided by your phone so aren't adjustable unless you go to the trouble of changing your phone clock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back