LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
My leisure battery’s are ka put. I know they have been in the motorhome for ten years (2010 model )because I have owned it for six years and have every bit of paperwork from previous owner and no sign of them being replaced. On inspection I find they are Varta G14,s AGM as seen in photos below. These are batteries fitted to high end cars. Now they have obviously been good on the Burstner, we are on hook up a lot of time but do use aires and free camp when we are on the leisure battery’s. I am happy to replace like for like ( all the connections etc will be straight forward swop) or should I get proper leisure battery’s. Looking on the internet I can get these batteries and they say Varta G14 stop start AGM. What do you battery experts think. (y)
FF675A3B-6CB3-46E1-9CF7-BA433DA3E44D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If you have been happy with them--- new ones available here

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
There is a school of thought that AGM leisure batteries have had there day. Gel is very popular providing you have the right charging set up and Lithium are even better. Both cost more than AGM. If your spending most of your time on Hook up, Lead Acid is probably the right way to go and easiest on your pocket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Just wondering why you need stop start technology for a leisure battery. You say they are 10 years old, has stop/start been around that long? Or am I just showing my age!

spongy

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just wondering why you need stop start technology for a leisure battery. You say they are 10 years old, has stop/start been around that long? Or am I just showing my age!

spongy
The battery’s on there now do not say stop start and are not marketed as leisure batteries but have done the job, I guess it’s just another thing they print on them now. Because I expect to be stopping and starting all the time the batteries must be good and charge quicker. And these batteries are for cars with big engines as stated on the batteries.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I would go for equivalent size leisure AGM's and keep your winning formula. Tayna Batteries should be able to supply your needs.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
To be honest I had 85% made up my mind to go down the same route for ease and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, or in this case it is broke so fix it ::bigsmile: but just wanted to see if anything different opinion wise was made. But again if someone had thrown up something else it would have been a nightmare for me to have a choice because I am crap at making decisions even if there are only two alternatives. Thanks for all your comments And advice. (y)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
To be honest I had 85% made up my mind to go down the same route for ease and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, or in this case it is broke so fix it ::bigsmile: but just wanted to see if anything different opinion wise was made. But again if someone had thrown up something else it would have been a nightmare for me to have a choice because I am crap at making decisions even if there are only two alternatives. Thanks for all your comments And advice. (y)

Any battery (even AGM!) will last if you look after them, as you seem to have done. I'd go for Gels myself. More usable capacity and will probably last even longer!

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thanks for all comments etc. I have ordered 2 x the same as I have (except they will work) from Tanya. Am I right in thinking that when I go to fit them, I turn off my 12v circuit in the motorhome, disconnect and then fit others. Turn the 12v back on and leave for another ten years. (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don’t forget to cover your solar panel or as I do disconnect them the night before.
ps, your recent post about fridge on 12 volt, did you get a new fridge in the end.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
If you go down the lead-acid route then why not try a pair of Halfords starter batteries that come with a 5 year warranty. I know they're not designed to be used as leisure batteries but a 5 year warranty would come in handy if they're stuffed after 3 years. 😁

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If you go down the lead-acid route then why not try a pair of Halfords starter batteries that come with a 5 year warranty. I know they're not designed to be used as leisure batteries but a 5 year warranty would come in handy if they're stuffed after 3 years. 😁
It will not be an unconditional warranty. Same as leisure battery warranty no doubt , there will be exclusions attached e.g. normal wear and tear not covered.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all comments etc. I have ordered 2 x the same as I have (except they will work) from Tanya. Am I right in thinking that when I go to fit them, I turn off my 12v circuit in the motorhome, disconnect and then fit others. Turn the 12v back on and leave for another ten years. (y)
You may want to check the voltage levels before fitting them. I have had a bad experience with Tany in the past as they did not keep the batteries I ordered charged up. Must have been lying in stock for a long period. They were down to 12.4 V when I received them so sent them back.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Could I tag on to this thread for battery advice, please? My Exsis came with a 95ah AGM Varta as new and I had a matching second battery fitted. We have a 120 solar panel and have been off ehu for a high proportion of the three years we have had this van. I am a bit surprised though that the batteries struggled towards the end of our Germany trip, from which we have just returned. Thinking of replacements, it looks to me that the choice of gels is smaller than it used to be and the Ah ratings are typically different to AGM's. 80 rather than 90, for example. With Schaudt EBL at 18a I suppose I am looking at max 180ah. But how would two 80ah gel compare to two 90/95ah AGM and would one super 180ah perform the same? I have previously found AGM to be fine in my last van.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Gels are definitely better than AGM and as for choice many members will make different recommendations. I have no experience of using gels so will go no further on that point. However, I do recommend you get the charging side of your final battery selection correct. Not all Gels have the same charging profile and You should ensure your charger can cope with this and just as importantly your solar panel regulator. And.......don't forget your cab battery either???

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

spongy
Our 57 reg MINI had it.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I am a bit surprised though that the batteries struggled towards the end of our Germany trip, from which we have just returned.

We've just come back from Germany and also had a shortage of battery power. Mostly because for the last two weeks we hardly ever saw the sun :Eeek: and didn't drive very far each day.
We had to find Stellplatz with a hook up every other day to keep on top of the battery charging.
I'd wait and see what happens when the sun does shine:drinks:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We've just come back from Germany and also had a shortage of battery power. Mostly because for the last two weeks we hardly ever saw the sun :Eeek: and didn't drive very far each day.
We had to find Stellplatz with a hook up every other day to keep on top of the battery charging.
I'd wait and see what happens when the sun does shine:drinks:
Yes, you could be right. There wasn't much (any) sun for several days in a row and despite driving, I think we got into a downward cycle where the batteries went more down than up each day. Despite appearing to show full charge they went down far quicker than normal throughout each evening. Modest TV/DVD use but the Truma fan is a killer! Had some ehu but not every night. I'd still value advice re Gel v AGM and whether one 'superbig' battery would be the same as two with the same rating between them.

Oct 8, 2020
Berwick upon Tweed
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
So glad I joined this group - was a bit worried how quickly my leisure battery ran down on our first trip last week - I left the heater on, but low, whilst we were out.....safe in the knowledge we had plenty LPG.....and until I read this post had forgotten that of course the hot air blower is powered, off grid, by the LB. Im off to sit in the corner now, with the pointy hat on!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
So glad I joined this group - was a bit worried how quickly my leisure battery ran down on our first trip last week - I left the heater on, but low, whilst we were out.....safe in the knowledge we had plenty LPG.....and until I read this post had forgotten that of course the hot air blower is powered, off grid, by the LB. Im off to sit in the corner now, with the pointy hat on!
You have now started your journey on the learning curve. Ask away and you will get replies with some very good advice and to add to your confusion some utter crap advice and members will gladly tell you how to spend your money and what to buy, even if you dont really need it. The Fun begins ! :dance2::dance2:

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Got to say great service from Tayna Battery’s. Ordered yesterday morning and arrived today by 11am, well packaged and fully charged. Just got to wait for a break in this weather to fit them. (y)

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back