Leisure Batteries (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I know there are a number of threads relating to decent leisure batteries but I find it hard to piece them together so ..............

I (probably without enough research) bought a couple of Elecsol batteries two years ago. Despite the fact that I have taken good care of them they both failed at the end of last year. Testing suggests they are short of water because the van charger brings them from 11.5v through 14.5v then to float at 13.8v within two hours. At which point they're still charging but only at 30mA or so (they're 100Ah each). They are sealed batteries & attempts to remove the top suggest that it's bonded on. So I'm looking for a new battery or batteries totalling around 200Ah. From the various threads I've read I know a few Funsters have strong views (based on long-term use) on the best batteries for the job. I'm open to suggestions.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally I am in the standard lead acid camp with heavy plates. currently best value is alphaline batteries with a 4 year warranty £110 - £120 a pair delivered. I figure that if they last 4 years, then thats cheap power at £30 a year. if they fail under 4 years they are covered by the warranty

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
personally I am in the standard lead acid camp with heavy plates. currently best value is alphaline batteries with a 4 year warranty £110 - £120 a pair delivered. I figure that if they last 4 years, then thats cheap power at £30 a year. if they fail under 4 years they are covered by the warranty
2 x 88AH delivered £98.50 on ebay with 4 years warranty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I
We have 2 x Exide G 80 gel batteries into there 8th year now. Speaks for itself. ( around £ 150 each )
Phil

I'm also in the Exide G80 camp, pretty sure ours are original so that would make them 9 years old.
You would need to make sure that you have a charging system that can be set to Gel.
Don't worry about them only being 80ah as they are specced at something like the 5hr rate at 20 hr rate which most people use they are about 100ah.
They run an inverter for microwave coffee machine etc no problem.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Elecsol went down the pan several years ago.. I had one that failed within two years. the internet was full of stories about it.. so not surprised yours have also failed.. and no recompense.

I'm also in the FLAs (flooded lead acid ) camp.. my last set for my RV bought in 2005, just cheap ones, 4 x 110ah were still going strong when I sold her in 2010 .. we lived in it for 3 years they took a good hiding on many occasions.. keep 'em topped up, don't abuse too often and they will last years.. bang for buck .. hard to beat.

Warranties: .. lets say you have a 3 year warranty and they fail in year two.. you will generally not get replacements.. but, if lucky a pro-rata reduction on another pair.. I said if your lucky .. they may well argue that you were responsible for damaging them by over discharging.. you cannot prove you didn't.. so you are relying on the good will of the seller to give you the benefit of the doubt.. the lesson here is to buy from a reputable supplier locally and keep your fingers crossed.

I cannot understand why gels are bought for situations that don't need them.. gels are designed for applications where they may be turned on their side by accident and an acid spill would cause a risk to people or equipment. ie.. electric mobility scooters, boats etc .. it could be argued that if your leisure battery is within the cab or hab area they are a safer option .. if your batteries are in a locker.. absolutely not required. .. if you do have FLAs under the seat ensure they are vented to the outside world with a vent tube.

Gels use the exact same technology as an FLAs, but the acid is held in a jelly state rather than liquid.. they are expensive and unnecessary..

If you have extra cash to splash, rather than spending on Gels, buy traction batteries, such as Trojan Flooded deep cycle batteries.. . they can take a lot of punishment and designed to be discharged below 12v without detriment..

Another excellent battery manufacturer is Lincoln batteries, made at Leigh-on-Sea, Essex SS9 5JU . you can buy at the factory or have them delivered.. I used them when I lived in Essex.

Halfords.. an excellent supplier.. a little bit pricey, but good quality batteries and they have a no quibble warranty.

If you want to know the quality of a battery .. check the weight.... the more lead, the more it weighs, the better quality it is.. most battery spec sheets give the weight.

All the above is my opinion, but based on many years of experience both in the leisure world and in industry.

I expect flack from the Gel lovers.. everyone has a right to an opinion, and it's not my money that is being wasted spent .

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No FLack particularly from me, they were on our van when we bought it and I can't fault their performance.

They can be taken to 80% discharge like a good flooded lead acid, I believe that they don't suffer plate Sulphation/Sulfation to the same degree as floode lead acid and possibly more importantly they do what I want them to do including fitting into the standard battery compartment in the garage floor.

Yes they are considerably more expensive than some lead acid batteries so I will stay on the look out for something that will do the same job for less money.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
FLA traction camp here!

Need to charge 'em quick, gel won't cope with that!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm a fan of Gel's also and now they have come down in price to under £150. Last van had Gel's they were still performing like new batteries at nearly 6 years old & we never use EHU.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
FLA traction for me as well.
Never buy a so called Leisure Battery again after the last 2 Banner failed at 2 year old in the Alps just engine batteries with a different label and dearer price IMO

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Used 2 Exide leisure FLA's on my narrowboat - after 9 years they were still going strong, kept floating with solar panels. Always plenty of amps available for lights, TV, 'fridge etc.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Forestboy – batteries, any batteries, at two years old don't usually fail unless they're neglected or abused.

Did you claim on the warranty?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive got trojan 105s no complaints so far coming up for 2 years old 2x6v just check the sizes as they tend to be different to other batteries i did a lot of research before i bought them but they were used in so many industrial commercial projects i decided these people would know what was best

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I just bought 4 x 110ah lead acids......£147 the lot.

If they only last 2 years it's still cheaper than paying over £100 each.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back