Legal rights to reject. (1 Viewer)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Can someone briefly give me the details regarding the title of this post. As I seem to remember it, can you give a dealer one opportunity to correct a defect and then reject the vehicle if it is not satisfactory within 30 days of purchase.
Thanks for any advice.
Norman.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Can someone briefly give me the details regarding the title of this post. As I seem to remember it, can you give a dealer one opportunity to correct a defect and then reject the vehicle if it is not satisfactory within 30 days of purchase.
Thanks for any advice.
Norman.
Within 30 days you DO NOT have to give the seller ANY opportunity to repair,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its not quite as simple as it sounds.

Ive recently had this with a motorcycle. In my case the dealer denied that there was a fault.

The problem is that the onus is on you to prove that whatever it is is faulty.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
There does not have got be a fault.... Under the Consumer Act you can return goods for full refund within 30 days.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There does not have got be a fault.... Under the Consumer Act you can return goods for full refund within 30 days.

AFAIK for all practical purposes you have to give a reason.
In my case it was a used motorcycle that probably alters things a little.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We rejected our van after 6 weeks, the dealer was aware of the fault within the 30 days, basically it would have required a full body respray which I was not prepared to accept on a new van.
I think on new within 30 days you can reject with little reason, after 30 days they must be allowed 1 attempt to repair.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
irnbru and all,
In a rush so quick resume, van 3 years old, prior to purchase sales guy left underfloor locker open and then drove the van into a wall.
Externally the repair was first class, picked up the van and drove it home 82 miles. The following day, yesterday, loading up various bits and pieces the locker fell off the rails twice.
If that had happened on the way home, M61, M60, M62 o_O o_O
PILOTE 600L, C#'#';#s of Preston.
Just away to drive again (y)

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Update, returned van to dealer so that hopefully they can correctly reattach this bottom drawer so it doesn't fall off again. ?

Attachments

• 20190713_160341.jpg
    20190713_160341.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 299

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

This is incorrect.

Goods have to be faulty or not as described before you can take them back.

If it were otherwise folk could have a vehicle for a 30 day holiday and then return it!

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Under the Consumer Rights Act you have a legal right to reject goods that are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described, and get a full refund - as long as you do this quickly.
This right is limited to 30 days from the date you take ownership of your product. After 30 days, you will not be legally entitled to a full refund if your item develops a fault, although some sellers may offer you an extended refund period.
This right to a refund doesn't apply to products you've bought as downloads, though - such as music, games or apps.
You can, however, ask for a digital product to be repaired or replaced if it develops a fault. And if this isn't possible, or is unsuccessful, you have the right to receive a price reduction.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This is incorrect.

Goods have to be faulty or not as described before you can take them back.

If it were otherwise folk could have a vehicle for a 30 day holiday and then return it!
This is also my understanding following my conversations with citizens advice.
When I asked the question where does the onus of proof lie, the answer I received was 'with the complainant'

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Update, l have rejected the van but no one is available !!

Any input to this topic would be appreciated thanks.
Norman.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
The letter does not need to be written by a solicitor and I've attached a photo for you to use as a template. It is important that you don't continue to use the van so that there can be no suggestion that you've accepted it. Continuing to use something that you are rejecting means that it could be deemed you've not really rejected it.
Send the letter recorded delivery to the dealer and KEEP A COPY OF ALL CORRESPONDENCE.
Good luck.
IMG_0619.PNG

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Many thanks for the replies. I left a letter with the company yesterday saying that unless it was repaired, again, to my satisfaction l would reject it as not fit for purpose.
I e-mailed a formal letter today saying that l was rejecting the van completely irrespective of repair, l also spoke to the MD who said that l had already bought the van ?
I told him l was still rejecting it, l drove it to their premises yesterday and it can stay there.
I now want a solicitor who deals in consumer rights ?

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Same subject but a slightly different issue, should l cancel both my insurance and road tax for this vehicle.
As l have said previously l am rejecting this vehicle and it is back at the dealers.
Thanks for the support here ?

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I would say that you still need to tax and insure it as you are still the owner of the vehicle. Up until the dealership accepts it back you are responsible.

I’m not sure that just parking it at the dealership is a good idea. You need to settle the dispute first it’s not just a matter of physically returning the vehicle.

I would check with your insurance company as to whether you’re still covered as you’ve, in effect, parked it and left it.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Looking through the thread it appears that you left your vehicle with the dealer on Sunday so that they could repair the drawer. You then rejected it the next day. Did you actually give them the opportunity to fix the issue?

If you haven’t allowed the company to rectify the problem then I think you’re unlikely to be able to reject it.

Just out of interest, why do you want to reject it? It seems a relatively minor problem and one which would be easily resolved.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I'm travelling today so can't help much. But do read this article as it answers a lot of questions.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Looking through the thread it appears that you left your vehicle with the dealer on Sunday so that they could repair the drawer. You then rejected it the next day. Did you actually give them the opportunity to fix the issue?

If you haven’t allowed the company to rectify the problem then I think you’re unlikely to be able to reject it.

Just out of interest, why do you want to reject it? It seems a relatively minor problem and one which would be easily resolved.
They have already carried out one rectification, l am not at all confident that the drawer will not detach itself again when moving and with a load inside.
I was unhappy about driving it back to the dealers so my partner carried the locker in her car.
Advice about insurance and tax much appreciated, thanks again.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
They have already carried out one rectification, l am not at all confident that the drawer will not detach itself again when moving and with a load inside.
I was unhappy about driving it back to the dealers so my partner carried the locker in her car.
Advice about insurance and tax much appreciated, thanks again.

I'm with Sundowners on this. AFAIK you don't have to physically return it to reject it and abandoning it on their premises could lead to other issues - what if it gets damaged or stolen etc?

My personal preference is always to find a compromise and you might find the dealer would rather settle it in some way than take on a fight - but if you are past that point then IMO you need legal advice and quick.

Good luck
Jon

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

Wasn't that repair carried out prior to your purchasing the vehicle? If that's the case then I believe that you need to give them a chance to rectify the problem.

To reject the vehicle has to be unfit for purpose. I doubt that a drawer coming off it's runner comes into that category. See below which was taken from the info Ingwe posted. Motorhomes are obviously far more complicated than cars, so it would be even more unlikely that you will be able to reject solely because of the drawer.

'However, it’s important to remember that motor cars are complicated machines. They have hundreds of thousands of components working under a variety of hostile conditions. Not every fault in a vehicle is going to mean you can simply give the car back and expect a full refund. This particularly applies to used cars, which have already been used and abused by someone else before you.

In short, a car with a fault is not necessarily a faulty car.'

When you left your vehicle at the dealership you did so as you were in agreement with them to carry out a repair. You then changed your mind.

I would think that the dealership will carry out the repair then call you to collect. I expect that failure on your part to collect will result in storage charges.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Wasn't that repair carried out prior to your purchasing the vehicle? If that's the case then I believe that you need to give them a chance to rectify the problem.

To reject the vehicle has to be unfit for purpose. I doubt that a drawer coming off it's runner comes into that category. See below which was taken from the info Ingwe posted. Motorhomes are obviously far more complicated than cars, so it would be even more unlikely that you will be able to reject solely because of the drawer.

'However, it’s important to remember that motor cars are complicated machines. They have hundreds of thousands of components working under a variety of hostile conditions. Not every fault in a vehicle is going to mean you can simply give the car back and expect a full refund. This particularly applies to used cars, which have already been used and abused by someone else before you.

In short, a car with a fault is not necessarily a faulty car.'

When you left your vehicle at the dealership you did so as you were in agreement with them to carry out a repair. You then changed your mind.

I would think that the dealership will carry out the repair then call you to collect. I expect that failure on your part to collect will result in storage charges.
I had given them a deposit and then they attempted the repair.
I agree that a drawer coming off a runner, if it was an internal cupboard drawer, would not be enough to reject a vehicle however, this external locker detaching again and possibly whilst driving is somewhat more dangerous ? l would NEVER feel happy driving this van.

Attachments

• 20190713_163331.jpg
    20190713_163331.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 79

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread