LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Another day, another metre of fabric that has been forgotten about in my stash being turned into a top.
DC1A3517-B001-451C-B9E5-0534CDF07048.jpeg

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Another day, another metre of fabric that has been forgotten about in my stash being turned into a top.
View attachment 342409

You are so talented ! I’ve never mastered clothes making. Year 1 of secondary school we each had to make a “shift dress”. Mine did not look good but the teacher insisted we all model our creations on the hall stage in front of the rest of our school year. Enter me walking down the stage and my dress started to disintegrate, one side falling open. I ran off the stage , clutching the dress around me. Got a right telling off from the teacher, to which I replied I told you it wasn’t right. Detention.
Yesterday’s much happier craft activity with grandchildren. Our planned castle visit was cancelled due to closure ( high winds) so we went to Tessera Hub in Babbacombe. Anita makes beautiful pieces and is very good with children.
B9B63EFB-841F-42B8-8B1E-CCCFA773215D.jpeg

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Yesterday’s much happier craft activity with grandchildren. Our planned castle visit was cancelled due to closure ( high winds) so we went to Tessera Hub in Babbacombe. Anita makes beautiful pieces and is very good with children.

Wow beautiful ! We have a great mosaic day school near me and I made this last year.

17C051A3-4A08-4C1F-8642-187FF684696C.jpeg

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
Evening all! I have been using safety eyes on my fox and other creatures i am in the process of making, the eye stalks as well as having the tight fitting washers to go over them have a little hole at the end of the stalk, do you know if i am supposed to sew a thread between them to act as extra security or is the washer enough?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Evening all! I have been using safety eyes on my fox and other creatures i am in the process of making, the eye stalks as well as having the tight fitting washers to go over them have a little hole at the end of the stalk, do you know if i am supposed to sew a thread between them to act as extra security or is the washer enough?
Mine don’t have that I am afraid so I am not sure. Mine are just like screws on the eye pieces and come with a plastic washer that you press on.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
I am away in my van and just could not resist buying a ball of this yarn. The colours are beautiful, it is so soft and it was half price.

All I need now is a nice pattern for a lacy scarf ?

View attachment 342417
I have just whiled away a whole afternoon on Pinterest looking for a scarf pattern. Got carried away admiring some lovely shawls.
in the meantime, is this fella’s nose on upside down? Or just off-centre (Bit Better than my previous attempt)
might be better with a sewn-on one ?
86B5EEB7-0E21-47CF-83CC-6B3CBA24F8BC.jpeg

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I have just whiled away a whole afternoon on Pinterest looking for a scarf pattern. Got carried away admiring some lovely shawls.
in the meantime, is this fella’s nose on upside down? Or just off-centre (Bit Better than my previous attempt)
might be better with a sewn-on one ?View attachment 343399

I thought it looked like a moustache, it’s very lovely.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
might be better with a sewn-on one ?View attachment 343399
Looks great whichvever way!

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Feel bit bad puttingmy amateur stuff on here with all the lovely work you all do. I find crafting so difficult. Just so desperate to make some pin money.

Saw a horrible flat down South today.. Would only be suitable for 'camping in' until work done .. Same price as my home.. Such is the difference in price. :(

Do any of you actually manage to sell your work?

Just finished this little un.

View attachment 340968
View attachment 340969
Joy he is cute, I cannot follow a pattern to save my life, so I am impressed.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I am going fabric shopping today to a proper shop ::bigsmile:

This past week I have uncovered hidden stashes of fabric which I had forgotten I had bought.

I have turned some of it into wearable clothes and repacked the rest neatly in my craft room (aka shoved under spare bed and sat on a box which was so full of fabric it wouldn’t close).

Would it be unreasonable to buy more fabric?

I suspect the answer is ‘yes’ but I am going anyway.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
the shawl for the new baby has progressed to the end of the pattern I was using but I have yarn left and don't think the shawl is big enough so will add borders. So far I have done a few rounds of a border, hated it and pulled it out down to the safety row. I have done 6 rounds of a different border and liked it "in parts" so will pull that out as well and re-jig the pattern so I am only using the parts I like - I think.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Puddleduck What is a safety row? I need one. I have been making a knitted baby dress and have done so much frogging/unpicking/reverse stitching because I have to take out more rows because of dropped stitches and yarn over loops. The worst part is finished and I just have to collect the stitches for a yoke but I've put it aside for a while until my brain recovers from the frustration.

I'm going to have to try this new Dettol product which kills 99.9% germs and wash all these baby clothes because I've been covered in germs. No octopus have been made for about six weeks now so preemie babies are safe.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Puddleduck What is a safety row?

When I have completed a row of knitting I know is correct (and especially if the pattern is complex or I have done so much I don't want to have to rip it all out when I go wrong) I thread a long length of sewing cotton onto a blunt sewing needle and run this through the loops of the stitches that are on the needle - but don't take the stitches off the needle - much easier with circular needles as the cord is much finer than the working tip. When all the loops are threaded tie the ends of the cotton thread together (or maybe add a pony bead at each end of the safety line thread so it doesn't pull out) after removing the sewing needle but leave plenty of slack in the safety line. I usually use soft sewing cotton in a bright colour as it is fine enough not to affect tension and the bright colour makes it easy to spot. I also note on my row count where the safety line runs so that if i need it I am not trying to figure out when I should start from.

Here is a YouTube video showing the idea - they call it a Lifeline

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hmmm, not sure about this project. Cuddle toy to go to South Africa. The knitting was easy, took me longer to stitch in the arms, legs and face and I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort, think I might stick to hats.
F3B65DD6-F528-4A68-B993-0ED400A177B0.jpeg
444A1810-ACE6-4400-A35C-3C06A9984662.jpeg

Barbie hats, to add to granddaughter’s Christmas presents.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Just three or four more rounds to put onto the shawl and I will be out of yarn :)

I am planning a trip to Hobbycraft later today as Grandson wants matching sweaters for him, his Dad and his Grandad and they need to be red, orange and yellow!!!!!! West Yorkshire Spinners have a primary colour offering that I am hoping would do the job and I will use that for the yoke and plain for the body and sleeves. Otherwise they also do one called Goldfinch but I don't think he will like that as much.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I spoke too soon - found an error and had to take back to a safety line :(

I also found the primary colour yarn is only on line so have ordered it - plus a plain blue for the body and sleeves of the sweaters. Should be here by the end of the week :)

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks
@puddlethats very frustrating i've not done a blanket but have done gazillions of ripping out- just console myself with the fact that practice makes perfect but not there by a long way yet lol!
Keep going and pics of the jumpers too when they are done please ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back